Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Large orange light above barnsley..

Richie V

Posted

Well folks I'm not sure how to put this without sounding crazy but....

Around ten mins ago I braught our new baby daughter into the front bedroom to change her nappy. Before i begun i went to close the curtains when out of the corner of my eye to the north west i spotted a reasonably large pure orange glow in the sky. This thing was moving very fast indeed so I thought it must have been the south yorks police chopper. On my second glance this damn thing was a large burning orange ball and ground to a halt. Some 30 seconds later it began to shrink away to a small star like point and dissapear to the SW at speed. As i spotted it i shouted my partner to come and have a look since i thaught i was seeing things. Anyway, around 2 mins later i peeked out of the window again and damn me, there it was again, a little larger this time with almost visible flame like properties around it. Bright light coloured orange, not even fire coloured.

Now Please tell me if theres a phoenominon that happens i'm not aware of and I'm creating a un neccary scene.

Posted

Could it have been a helicopter with lights searching? If it had been earlier in the day I might have suggested the sun but knowing what the weather is like up there today I know that would have been a fantasy. I'm sure you will find out what it is ;)

How old is babs by the way?

Posted
Could it have been a helicopter with lights searching? If it had been earlier in the day I might have suggested the sun but knowing what the weather is like up there today I know that would have been a fantasy. I'm sure you will find out what it is ;)

How old is babs by the way?

Shes 2 weeks, bless ;)

Posted
Stop drinking past sell-by-date Tizer.

I appreciate the humor but i don't bulls==t!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I hope it is aliens and I hope they are like the arachnids on Starship troopers, that'll sort the men from the boys ;)

Only joking our kid, was there any sound with the sighting?

I have seen some pretty strange military stuff in the air in the past year, perhaps they are busy ATM ;) If not then I hope its nothing to be honest.

Russ

Posted
I hope it is aliens and I hope they are like the arachnids on Starship troopers, that'll sort the men from the boys ;)

Only joking our kid, was there any sound with the sighting?

I have seen some pretty strange military stuff in the air in the past year, perhaps they are busy ATM ;) If not then I hope its nothing to be honest.

Russ

Absolute silence, not a murmer.

To note, misty here too with a very low cloud base, 900ft would be my guess with drizzle and light rain.

Edited by Chassisbot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

What about ball lightning?

Posted

Could well be some form of plasma phenomena that builds up when energy is not released from dormant static charges near showery activity.

Just a theory anyway.

Posted
What about ball lightning?

There was a very hevy downpour 5 mins before the sighting 3mm in 5 mins but no thunder

Posted
Absolute silence, not a murmer.

To note, misty here too with a very low cloud base, 900ft would be my guess with drizzle and light rain.

Military, most probably.

Probably diamond shaped, can accelerate really fast. Etc.

Alternatively some sort of strange phenomenon.

We are in safe hands aren't we? :lol:

It is most prob an irridium flare, thinking about it.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

as far as i know Rusty we are in safe hands :lol:

just noting the remark about low/misty cloud conditions. wondering if the conditions are exaggerating things and making them look brigther then they are, like lights get reflected back in the fog. :lol: sorry not much help i know :lol:

Posted
Could well be some form of plasma phenomena that builds up when energy is not released from dormant static charges near showery activity.

Just a theory anyway.

Or... it could just be ball lightning.

Posted
as far as i know Rusty we are in safe hands :lol:

just noting the remark about low/misty cloud conditions. wondering if the conditions are exaggerating things and making them look brigther then they are, like lights get reflected back in the fog. :lol: sorry not much help i know :lol:

Irr, erm I cant spell it http://www.satobs.org/iridium.html sometimes they are really bright.

But in these difficult times our military, the best in the world will no doubt need to practice with kit that is to say the least alarming, so night it is. Its one or the other.

Or I am a Dutchman.

Starship troopers is an alternative that may appeal to some people trying to get a nights kip at the Bestival, a few miles away from me ATM its a washout but will Amy Winehouse play or did she not(I am out of touch but sympathise hence the delliberate mis---spelllling :lol: )

Regards,

Russ

Posted

I'm totally stumped! Tell you what though, sent a cold shiver through me when I saw it the second time.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm asking myself if im going nuts at the moment :lol:

Posted
I'm totally stumped! Tell you what though, sent a cold shiver through me when I saw it the second time. Thanks for the replies guys. I'm asking myself if im going nuts at the moment :lol:
well i would only worry if you give yourself a positive answer to the question :lol: :lol:

maybe as time goes on a few more reports may be made and an explanation can be found. perhaps a call to your local paper, or even check with your local police/fire station may get some answers :lol:

Or... it could just be ball lightning.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

:D

Posted
well i would only worry if you give yourself a positive answer to the question :lol: :lol:

maybe as time goes on a few more reports may be made and an explanation can be found. perhaps a call to your local paper, or even check with your local police/fire station may get some answers :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

:lol:

Ball lightning is not explained by exact science and lies within the theoretical; it does seem to consist of many different characteristics and largely volatile - although my subscribed theory as stated; is that its associated with electrostatic dynamics in shower clouds.

Tch....wikipedia lol.

Posted

wiki has 'primordial black hole' as one hypothesised explanation

* Tiny black holes formed in the first few seconds of the universe

* Black holes give off energy in form of Hawking radiation, at a rate that is inversely proportional to its density

* So a bright light could be visible from one these tiny black holes in their final 'burn out' phase

Fact against: said there should be a 'few thousand' of these primordial black holes in our Milky Way. At such a low number it would be highly improbable we'd see one on Earth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I have seen the same thing during a thunderstorm this year, not sure if its ball lightning...I dont think it is, its exactly what you described it as, it could be a large flare or something but its quite a strange sight to see.

Posted

Is it ball lightning?

I thaught that stuff was kind of localised and mainly at ground leval.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Mmmm could be a UFO. I personally believe in aliens and all that jazz so it wouldn't surprise me. I know a lot of people would laugh at me for suggesting that though, but we are defanitly not the only ones in this universe in my opinion.

Then again it could be something totally explainable.