Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hurricane Ike---Human Impact

Posted

:mellow: Hmmm... I can sort of see that I suppose -

See they're reporting fires in Galveston now - where a house was on fire, but they couldn't attend and it's now jumping along to other houses...

You don't think about things like that being an issue really (well I didn't )....

Edited by hoghedge

Posted
Looks like the surge is starting to pile back in again, data suggests the tide is increasing again so looks like low tide has passed and is on the increase, plus the system is getting close now and so the surge is pushing in.

Wouldn't be all that surprised to see the Seawall getting over topped soon and the waves spilling well inland.

8771510 is showing only 8 ft. of water against the seawall. winds at 27 knots, gusts to 52. It will get worse, but not necessarily over the seawall. In fact, the only area that might not flood is the area immediately behind the seawall, where the grade raising took place.

However, a surge at 6 plus feet is moving up the Houston ship channel, showing at the Battleship Texas mooring.

Posted

The latest I've heard is that they have NOT been breeched, there is still time, but it is looking a lot better than thought.

They seem to be checking every hour and I've not seem anything indicating anything really bad.

I should say that I am talking largely about the coastal communities, Houston might be another matter, I think they have still underestimated Ike's effects here.

Posted

People phoning for help in Galveston, beach houses flooded people trapped waist deep on the 2nd floor... other calls for help home collapsing round them. No help is coming until the storm passes.

Edited by WS Evolution

Posted

Strange so few people have mentioned the possible damage in Texas City ... the largest oil refinery in the world. The size of a small town, some of the fractional distilation towers must be over 80m high ... Any significant damage there could have a massive financial impact on the US.

Posted

The worst of this is definitely yet to come. With the eye over Galveston Bay, winds are just starting to pick up again on the coast and back from west to southwest. The water levels in Galveston Bay are reported to be 10-12 feet above normal and they could easily rise another 5-10 feet. There are no reports from regions east of Galveston like High Island, and further east it is likely to be quite bad around Beaumont-Port Arthur and southwest LA because over there the wind will be strong onshore throughout. You would have to go to google-earth and just check out the different terrain south of Houston, the general idea is that most people live about 4-6 metres above sea level so they will at worst have slight flooding but there are pockets near bayous that are 2-4 metres and they could have serious flooding.

This won't get into rescue and recovery until Sunday for the most part, there are some people probably already in need of rescue who will have to hold on for 24 hours, while there are others who may be just now getting into difficulties. And there will be a third wave of problems around the 3 p.m. high tide (which is almost twelve hours from now).

Posted

Morning - I managed to keep awake to 3:40 but that was my lot - checked maiil this morning, 4 mins ago friend up by Bush Airport is now communicating via his mobile - says his roof is nearly coming off, heavy rain and the house feels like it is moiving. Hope him and his family will be ok - guess that far out mainly going to be fear of tornadoes ultimately...he thinks they're nearing seeing the eye now...

Should have mentioned - there's no power of course

Hoggy

Edited by hoghedge

Posted

Friend by Bush Airport Reports "The wind is steady. Weird, feels like a war. Transformers lighting up. Thats the only light we see aside from cells and flash lights. Wow, strong gusts. The 66 is steady wind, right? Where is the eye? Is it coming toward us?"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Watching at http://www.maroonspoon.com/wx/ike.html and it's eerie as different reporters in different locations do their reports suffering different effects, ie on one picture someone is in the eye in their t shirt and then the next screen dressed in full wets getting blown to the four corners of the earth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Hoggy,

Just recorded 69 mph at Bush Apt on ABC13.com here:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/feature?sectio...&id=6102015

Great coverage on here

Andy

Posted

Thanks Androcles

Kema under 6ft water - 12ft in lower area, Galveston reporting houses destroyed or shifted off foundations

Friends Report:We are hearing that the storm is worse south west of the eye, near downtown. What are you receiving. Can you confirm that the backside if the storm is worse than the part we have been going through.

Hoggy

Edited by hoghedge

Posted

Southern eyewall has perked up recently Hoggy.

Probably lots of sharp broken glassd flying around Houston right now and the skyscrapers probably getting 110-120mph gusts at the top, ground winds probably getting close to 100mph so there is going to be some fairly bad wind damage there as well I'd have thought.

As for the surge into Galveston, quite hard to know how bad it is until we get sunlight in the region, then we can assess how much damage there is.

I do know though that 1800 homes are nearly totally underwater in a town in western LA.

Posted
Southern eyewall has perked up recently Hoggy.

Thanks Kold - Am trying to keep friend and family informed on their mobile - they are by Bush Airport, also friends in Clearwater and Central/Rice area, but have not heard from them.

Things are really starting to ramp up now in terms of damage reports coming in.

Will that Southern Eyewall pass over the airport or is it tracking too quickly N/E and likely miss do you think?

Edited by hoghedge

Posted

watching abc feed, showing their backstage area's of the studio that has been taking water from the storm

Posted

Well I'm not totally sure of the geography of the area to be honest.

I am hearing reports that steel strips from the skyscrapers in Houston are peeling away as well the glass, looks like the western eyewall really hammering the city badly.

Also 4 million people without power as well.