Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Daily Express at it again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Oh for goodness sake..............

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/62132/...wipe-out-winter

Why isn't there a law against newspapers printing this utter rubbish ???

Posted

well all i can say is that i really hope it happens :wallbash:

yet again the publication of a long range forecast just makes forecasters look ridiculous. they should issue a warning with the story saying that this is the view of just one person and not forecasters in general

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

I suppose I shouldn't really bother - I guess it's what people like to read, and I doubt anyone is really going to take it seriously. I suppose it's like buying a comic, you know it's fiction but it's still fun to read

Posted

Well, if it does happen, that'll make it about 1 in 20 long range correct winter forecasts.

Here's the actual forecast made by PWS ....

December 2008

A wet and windy start to the month with temperatures slightly above the average. There are concerns with regards to flooding, plus the strong winds may well give bring some damage, with tornado activity a possibility. Through the middle part of the month, affairs should settle down, so we can expect a dip in temperatures during the night-time that will give us a run of cold and frosty nights, whilst the daytime will remain dry with sunny spells. To end the month, unsettled conditions will return with some wet and windy conditions; temperatures returning to seasonal norm. For the Christmas period, the percentages for snowfall are up against previous years, so there is a 45% chance of snow on Christmas Day - specifically the north and north east.

January 2009

The new year starts on a wet and windy note, with rain amounts and wind strength giving cause for concern; temperatures slightly above the average. The unsettled theme continues through the middle of the month but to a much lesser extent, and with a change in wind direction, we can expect snowfall to affect a fair portion of UK, bringing disruption to public services, roads, and schools. Night frosts will also be very much in evidence. The latter part of the month sees temperatures recovering, and a return to further wet and windy conditions. Again, flooding possibilities cannot be ruled out. Strong winds will also give cause for concern.

February 2009

An unsettled start to the month with wind and rain very much in evidence, giving further flooding concerns. Temperatures on or slightly above the average. Through to mid month, and it's here that we'll see a sustained cold blast across the UK, with penetrating frosts by night, and also the running threat of wintry conditions that will bring the UK to a grinding halt. Daytime temperatures will struggle to get above freezing, with the windchill factor keeping the 'real feel' temperature well below freezing for a period of time. The month ends on a raw note, with further cold conditions and the threat of snowfall. Night times will be bitterly cold.

Jonathan Powell

Senior Weather Forecaster

Positive Weather Solutions

Sunday August 31st 2008

... from here

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

The Daily Express is read by a lot of old people, and all it does is give them Unnecessary worry. The express should wait until next week when the Met office give out there Winter forcast before printing such Ridiculous headlines. I bet it will be nothing like that one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
The Daily Express is read by a lot of old people, and all it does is give them Unnecessary worry. The express should wait until next week when the Met office give out there Winter forcast before printing such Ridiculous headlines. I bet it will be nothing like that one.

To be fair the 'hype' has been generated by the Daily Express not the forcaster, I like this bit, from the forcaster

------------------------------

We can look forward to a lot of us seeing some snow throughout December, January and February, not to mention some raw temperatures

----------------------------------------

Hardly ground breaking or on the edge stuff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I thought it was Piers Corbyn who is the usual font of all weather knowledge when it comes to the Daily Express and their weather predictions.

Does anyone remember their prediction for New Year last year? I am sure it was something about the mother of all storms hitting Britain with 130mph winds!

It is all just a pile of excrement and is just a method used to sell papers!

Found it!

BRITAIN is set to be battered by three massive storms during a spell of “ferocious” weather, a forecaster warned last night.

If he is right the weather conditions could equal or surpass the violence of the Great Storm of 1987 which took place exactly 20 years ago yesterday.

The nightmare prediction comes from long-range forecaster Piers Corbyn who correctly warned of the summer floods and last year’s New Year hurricane.

Mr Corbyn says that hurricane force winds – gusting up to 130mph as weather fronts gain in intensity – could wreak havoc across the country, causing structural damage to properties and endangering lives.

Each fierce storm system will also generate conditions which are perfect for the formation of tornadoes.

The relentless cycle of ferocious weather, he says, will begin gathering force at the end of next week for what forecasters are calling a “warm-up period”.

It will be followed by another, more intense, storm during the second week of November with stronger wind speeds.

But the most severe weather event will take place during the last week of November, causing chaos.

Forecasters are already predicting that it could be as severe as the famous tempest of 1703 – one of the most extreme weather events ever witnessed in Britain which wiped out 80 per cent of the Royal Navy’s fleet.

Speaking yesterday on the 20th anniversary of the 1987 storm – one of the worst for nearly 300 years – Mr Corbyn said it was “vital” that the public were warned about the potential destruction on the way.

Here is the link - http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/22322/...to-lash-Britain.

Does anyone remember this storm? Oh no it did not happen did it! lol!

Posted

I find this very irresponsible especially as many people are concerned about how to pay their heating bills this winter. Im sure most of the general public will dismiss these headlines but theres bound to be some who take it seriously.

However as I have said many times before it wouldn't surprise me if this winter is the coldest for many yrs for the simple reason that for the first time since I joined this forum I am hoping for a mild winter. A winter like 1978/79 would increase my heating bills by £250!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

To be fair, the forecast itself seems to point to a below average winter in terms of temperature, but not excessively so, with periods of snow and frost (to be expected in a colder than average winter). In fact, my interpretation is that the CETs for the winter months would be around: December 4.8c (0.3 below average), January 4.5c (0.3c above average), and February 2.1c (2.1c below average), with an overall winter CET of 3.8c (only 0.7c below average)

If I were to forecast a winter based on a signal for a predominantly negative NAO, it wouldn't be that far removed from the PWS one.

Black marks to the Express for going over the top as usual. :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
I find this very irresponsible especially as many people are concerned about how to pay their heating bills this winter. Im sure most of the general public will dismiss these headlines but theres bound to be some who take it seriously.

However as I have said many times before it wouldn't surprise me if this winter is the coldest for many yrs for the simple reason that for the first time since I joined this forum I am hoping for a mild winter. A winter like 1978/79 would increase my heating bills by £250!

Although we can joke at such articles it is irresponsible

My mother who reads the Daily express is a pensioner .will read that and get alarmed

Maybe there should be a list of name and shame, which one would win in the last year

Based on how far out from the truth and how alarmist in nature

I remember one from Daily mail head lines Siberian temps on the way -17c

The -17c was win chill and of course it was nothing like that

Of course it sells papers

CET to be 1.8c below average this January wouldn't ?

Posted

Just read the forecast from PWS and I have to say they do themselves no favours by giving such a detailed forecast this far in advance. This far out all anyone can do is give hints whether the winter as a whole will see above/below average CET/Sunshine/Precip. The MetO have the right idea because this is generally what they do in their LRF but in some cases they are too vague because they cover themselves by saying it could be below/near/above average :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just read the forecast from PWS and I have to say they do themselves no favours by giving such a detailed forecast this far in advance. This far out all anyone can do is give hints whether the winter as a whole will see above/below average CET/Sunshine/Precip. The MetO have the right idea because this is generally what they do in their LRF but in some cases they are too vague because they cover themselves by saying it could be below/near/above average :)

This is the actual forecast from PWS:

http://www.positiveweathersolutions.co.uk/UK-Long-Range.php

As each winter month starts off with "wet and windy and on or above average temps" it would seem the Express is being extremely selective with their 'Arctic winter' forecast. As you say, totally meaningless waffle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Yes complete and utter rubbish. They must think the general public are stupid or something, I have no doubt that someone who doesnt know anything about the weather would realise that is rubbish, because anyone who pays attention realises that the UK does not have bitterly cold snowy winters to the extent the Daily Express sings....

This is just typical press spin, but PWS are no totally free of 'blame' and I feel this will not do their credit in the weather world any good. The last thing I would do if I was in charge of a forecasting initiative is let the Daily Express take a forecast and analyse it!!

Posted

This what drives forecasters up the wall when the media hype up the coming winter but this is always expected as they always do this every winter don't they.

The DE had a headline of 10 days of rain and the following BBC forecast by Phil Avery just probably sums it up how forecasters feel when they see headlines like that - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7mEMveOock

That forecaster could well be correct though and as a cold lover i hope he is but i think headlines like the DE put there is just plain ridiculas to say the least. Its all about selling papers though really which is pretty lame.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

that weather from philip avery was class, express is so cr@p at weather, sadly people i know that know nothing about weather believe express, no way will we have that winter

aug 30th for me was dry and sunnyish at 24oC not 10 days rain lol

Posted

I confidently predict there will be snow in December with even more during January and February. The North will be worst hit. Temperatures in places may struggle to raise above freezing.

Of course, whether such conditions will extend beyond the summit of Ben Nevis is another matter ..... :D

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

Worrying of course - note how the Express journalist takes out the little bits of the forecast which they want to highlight, and then apply that to the whole of the UK for all of the winter.

Bear well in mind, this is the basic tactic for all media, quality or otherwise, in all areas of news. I notice it time and time again in my area of work (law) where long, detailed and [often] well balanced arguments put together by judges and tribunals, are reduced to selective one liners. Saw it again in the reactio to the Archbishop of Canterbury's comments about Sharia earlier this year - his actual speech and what was reported could be taken as evidence for parallel universe theory.

• 1 month later...
Posted

Well i got the Daily Express today for it's headline about veg and on page 11 piers corben is at it again.

The title reads

Stand by for a 90mph battering.

Weatheraction say that we are in for "severe storms and artic weather this month. they say that experts warn that two 2once in 20 years2 mega storms could strike weatheraction says fierce conditions at sea will cause gales and tsunami like waves to funnel down the east coast of Britain. Peirs Corbyn is 95% there will be severe storms in the Atlantic?British Isles region in the periods around November 12 -14 and November 25 - 28. He recons there is a respective 70% and 35% chance that these storms will lead to a notable North Sea surge which could require emergency action in England and Holland. The Met office say the north of England is set to be hit by gale force winds and Met forecaster Byron Chalcroft said "Towards the end of this week and next week it will be getting increasingly unsettled and windy.

The Daily Express also state weatheraction predicted the devastating battering that England's coast took last year.

Just thought I would post this for your information.. God only knows why the Daily Express still do this sort of thing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

I like the Daily Express, don't dis it ;)

Tttaaaa 8)

Posted
I like the Daily Express, don't dis it ;)

Tttaaaa 8)

I do too but cannot see why they print such over the top stories. Yes we may get a windy period and then we may get another cold snap like October but to jazz it up with words like tsunami and emergency action is just plain wrong. The events they are writing about may happen but there is a long way to go and what looks severe now can and prob will be downgraded as it gets nearer the time scale. This sort of reporting leads to complaicency as people who read it can say when the severe weather they predict does not happen 2they got it wrong2 and then when there is realy some bad weather coming some people could ignore the warnings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I have picked up on the same peak energy period mid Nov. Lunar Perigee and full moon combine and I agree a significant LP/storm is likely...mainly northern UK.

BFTP