Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Troll's Norwegian Snow Predictions 2008/09

Posted

The Troll has posted his first snow prediction updates of the season ... I'll try and remember to copy them here

Update: 29th Sep 2008

Heavy Snowfalls in mountainous areas of southern Norway on Saturday 4th through to Monday 6th with possible low level snow (below 400m).

Early next week Tuesday will be very cold but not much precipitation. Possibility of good frosts and snowmaking conditions.

Further heavy snowfalls Further snow 16-20th October, and possibly some low level snow around the beginning of November.

At this stage I see very little chance of sealevel snow (eg for Oslo) before November.

L8R Troll

Posted

New update from the Troll.

Update: October 3rd 2008

Heavy snow still expected for Southern Norway particularly Sunday 5th October in the afternoon, but freeze level likely to be higher than expected. Snowfalls down to about 900m, sleet to 4-500m Falls of 25-30cm possible in some locations particularly for southern resorts like Hovden, Brokke, Sirdal, Åseral etc ...

After this Not much on the horizon for the following week, and a lot of the snow will be washed away by rain as the freeze level rises into the week.

In the long term 17-21st October is looking good.

L8R Troll

Posted
Update 9th October 2008

No significant snowfalls in Norway throughout the next week. There could be a few light to medium snow showers about the Southern peaks most of the week thanks to orograhic lift, but nothing significant.

The snowfalls I previously mentioned from the 17-21st Oct now look likely on the 18th, with some heavy falls, particularly around the south wetsern ranges on Saturday 18th therough Sunday 19th. Possible falls of 15-25cm likely.

In the longer term there is a possibility of a long wave trough forming towards the end of the month as I mentioned before, which could see snowfals in Norway 1-3 November (possibly a day r two earlier) but it is very very uncertain.

L8R Troll

http://www.scandinavianweather.com/phpBB/i...fe29bdee215722d

Posted
Update 15th October 2008

Some medium to heavy snowfalls above 1000m on Saturday 18 to Sunday 19th on the south west coast as predicted earlier, but it is looking higher and lighter than previously thought. Also unfortunately it will be mainly confined to orographic lift induced right on the west coast and will miss most major resorts.

Cold clear nights for much of Southern Norway as the weekend approaches, with the first frosts possible in Oslo on Friday 17th Oct in the morning, particularly away from centrum and up into the hills.

... more here http://www.scandinavianweather.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=93

Posted
Update 24th October 2008

Heavy snowfalls starting at about 1000m on the weekend, but falling to 100m or even sealevel by Monday 27th October on west coast and inland. Particularly heavy falls around Bjorli, Oppdal, and Strynefjellet but most central and western ski resorts should see falls of between 15-30cm over the weekend.

Very cold, but dry weather into the next week, and the cold front I saw earlier coming at the beginning of November should hit Norway around the 3rd November, with the possibility of Snow down to sea-level although much depends on the timing of the fronts.

In the longer term I see some cold pools over North America currently that may reach Norway around the middle of November, but it looks like a new polar setup is occurring, so that node may disappear ... the future looks hazy today.

L8R Troll

http://www.scandinavianweather.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=93

Posted
UPDATE 26th October 2008

The heavy snow expected over the last few days has been delayed somewhat by the blocking high over central Europe. Nevertheless, the heavy snow is still coming and I see snow over much of southern Norway, on Tuesday and Wednesday (28/29th November) . The snow level should steadily drop over the next few days with snow possible at sea level on Tuesday night / Wednesday morning. This includes possible snow in and around Oslo.

L8R Troll

Full updates ... http://www.scandinavianweather.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=93

Edited by opplevelse