Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Vantage Pro 2

Hi all, New to this forum.

I am in the UK and wish to get a temp sensor that I can leave in my filter tank connected to the pond.

Where is the cheapest site to look.

I have tried the eastbourne weather shop and so expensive and a US website that cant ship to uk or say there may be import tax?

Posted
Hi all, New to this forum.

I am in the UK and wish to get a temp sensor that I can leave in my filter tank connected to the pond.

Where is the cheapest site to look.

I have tried the eastbourne weather shop and so expensive and a US website that cant ship to uk or say there may be import tax?

yes there will be if get it from the usa :)

Edited by Stuart

Posted

Importing from the USA is always likely to lead to import duty and VAT on top of that, so you won't be able to avoid it. Importing Davis kit can also be a problem because they have pretty strict licensing when it comes to the territories they allow their resellers to ship to. You may be able to find someone in the USA who will do it, if they don't generally ship to the UK it's worth phoning them and asking if you can arrange your own shipment, you can then get UPS or whoever to collect from them.

Once you've done all that, paid the tax and so on though, it may be that it doesn't come out that much more cheap than buying from the UK, plus of course you have the extra difficulty of support and returns if anything goes wrong!!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
Importing from the USA is always likely to lead to import duty and VAT on top of that, so you won't be able to avoid it. Importing Davis kit can also be a problem because they have pretty strict licensing when it comes to the territories they allow their resellers to ship to. You may be able to find someone in the USA who will do it, if they don't generally ship to the UK it's worth phoning them and asking if you can arrange your own shipment, you can then get UPS or whoever to collect from them.

Once you've done all that, paid the tax and so on though, it may be that it doesn't come out that much more cheap than buying from the UK, plus of course you have the extra difficulty of support and returns if anything goes wrong!!

If you can find an importer though. It also depends on the exchange rate as well. I did make a huge saving on mine when I did it but the company I used no longer offers the service due to complaints from other companies in the EU. Davis ought to look at there pricing as it's really a rip off to be honest.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
A £2 saving here.... :lol:

http://www.meteorologica.co.uk/product.asp...=&PT_ID=108

Not many shops sell the Davis instruments. I still need to buy the data recorder so i can connect mine to the pc!

Hi Andy777

I have bought all my Davis equipment from the USA which has worked out very well for me so i took a look at the price of the Davis 6470 - Temperature Probe and it was only $36 but when you add on the postage at $30 it is still cheaper than the UK but you will then run the risk of import duty or VAT which i can tell you is a bit of a hit or miss affair, sometimes you just get charged VAT other times nothing at all, and it all depends how much the item is marked up as etc. With a low cost item such as this it wouldn't be much but it would proabably bring the cost fairly close to the UK cost where as the more expensive items make it much more worth while as the saving is much more.

The price Ross B has found looks good to me ;)

BU

£42 for he probe does it plug into the weather station? The outdoor weather station is in the wrong place for me to run "wires" to near the pond

Thanks for all your replies but I think I need more help on this matter.......

I want to measure two water temps and relay them to my wireless console if it is at all possible.

Do I need other transmitters too???

Andy

Edited by Andy777

Posted

I have a feeling you may have to buy one of these to plug them into..... http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/davis_6345OV.html

If so then it might be worth importing afterall!

Probably best to send an email to Davis to check.