Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Reports October/november 2008

JRMcLeod

Posted

Not Snow report but heavy sleet report this morning on the Slug Road at Durris, lasted for about 10 minutes!! Just looked on the Cairngorm mountain website and they ahve a lot of snow!! Looks nice, cant believe winter is here again!!

Edited by Ross B

Guest Shetland Coastie

Just had a wintry mix of hail/sleet up here in Shetland which is not surprising given that the dewpoint is just 1.2C and the wind chill temp is 0.8C - its bitter for this time of year :)

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

I climbed Whernside early this morning - reached the summit and 10am and was greeted with a snow flurry!!!!! All the puddles were iced over, the temp was 0c and according to the mountain forecast the wind chill was -14!!!!!!!

Very nice to see at the beginning of October. Whernside is the highest point in Yorkshire at 736m, next to Ingleborough and the Lakes.

Guest Shetland Coastie

Heavy, wet snow at the moment in Shetland and its lying! Earliest ever lying snow that I can remember up here. Temp 0.2C, Wind Chill -6.3C, dewpoint -0.5C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

There was sleet in the Inverschneckie yesterday, quite heavy! It's been quite cold, with very cold windchill.

Although this is very early, it's nowhere near as early as the heavy wet snow 6 years ago, around mid September.

Hopefully more negative temperature irregularities to come? :)

Posted
Heavy, wet snow at the moment in Shetland and its lying! Earliest ever lying snow that I can remember up here. Temp 0.2C, Wind Chill -6.3C, dewpoint -0.5C.

Certainly a notably cold october day in Shetland today conditions akin to mid winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Frosty/icy morning here and now a bit of sleet :o

Callie ;)

Just making a note in here- I don't think that's very likely as temps were around 12-13C in the area when the 'sleet' occurred. However, the other reports look perfectly plausible.

Posted
Just making a note in here- I don't think that's very likely as temps were around 12-13C in the area when the 'sleet' occurred. However, the other reports look perfectly plausible.

It was sleet as several people at work drew my attention to it. The only thing I can think of is that the clouds rose as they went over the South Downs and dropped sleety bits over Eastbourne.

Not good as shortly after we had reports of the two young children dying in a house fire :o One of those kind of days you won't forget if you were there.

Callie ;)

Guest Shetland Coastie

Some heavy, wet, snow showers in Shetland today. The first, which lasted from approx 1245 until 1400 gave a covering of lying snow. This subsequently melted during sunny spells this afternoon. However, between approx 1830 and 1900 there was another hefty shower which, with the strengthening wind was almost blizzard like in intensity. This left another covering, with slushy deposits on the road as I made my way to work this evening.

Edited by Shetland Coastie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Shetland Coastie

Occasional hail and sleet showers earlier today now heavy sleet here in Shetland at the moment, Temp just 3.6C, dewpoint 1.3C. :D

Posted

sleety hail showers today, a covering of snow can be seen on the mountains behind and in front of my house. yip ee. :D

Posted

Sleety mix in a ridiculously heavy shower at 1.45pm yesterday. First of the season :)

Posted

Currently experiencing a heavy soft hail shower whith bits of sleet.

Tempreature 6.7

Posted

Had a good few sleet and hail showers today

sleet shower around 8.30 this morning, And on and off until 12,

mostly of rain now and hail now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

sleety showers this evening. temp 2.6, dp 0.7, wb 1.9. from past experience in these conditions, i guess that snow is unlikely here (we're just too close to the sea), although snow will probably settle briefly on the hill above us (up to 150m asl) tomorrow morning before pressure wipes out the showers.