Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Alps Weather And Skiing Conditions

J10

In addition to the blog lets have a look at forecast at some resorts, using projected snowfall amounts from www.snow-forecast.com (From Tonight until Wednesday morning)

France

Courchevel 36cm of snow resort (after early rain on Friday morning) to 69cm Summit

Chatel 56cm of snow resort (after early rain on Friday morning) to 90cm Summit

Tignes 49cm of snow resort, 44cm of snow Summit

Alpe d'Huez 39cm of snow resort (after early rain on Friday morning) to 51cm Summit (Windchill Saturday -37c)

Morzine 40cm of snow resort (after early rain on Friday morning) to 87cm Summit

Val Thorens (opening this weekend) 65/66cm resort/summit

Italy

Bormio 39cm of snow resort (after early rain on Friday morning) to 59cm Summit

Austria

Saalbach 44cm of snow resort (after early rain on Friday morning) to 70cm Summit

Niederau 47cm of snow resort (after early rain on Friday morning) to 65cm Summit

Switzerland

Wengen, (opening this weekend) 54cm of snow resort (after early rain on Friday morning) to 82cm Summit

Zermatt 49cm of snow resort / 43cm summit

Posted

Would anyone be able to answer what the next week is looking like for Bulgaria. I'm heading off on Friday and if the cold weather continues I was hoping we may atleast be able to take a ride up to Vitosha Mountain at 1800m for a spot of sledging. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted

That would be fantastic, thanks. It certainly has dropped in temp today so I'm praying it doesn't rise too much by next saturday. Regards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Piste Bashers already at work early this morning. Deep snow and blue sky, perfect ! Good base for runs to be prepared. Offical opening of the ski -lifts this coming weekend. Expect to be busy with the best start to the season for many years.

C

post-3489-1227598192_thumb.jpg

Posted
Piste Bashers already at work early this morning. Deep snow and blue sky, perfect ! Good base for runs to be prepared. Offical opening of the ski -lifts this coming weekend. Expect to be busy with the best start to the season for many years.

C

Hi Carinthian. Does this post relate to Bulgaria at Vitosha? If it does that looks fantastic, thanks very much. I've been trying to work out temps myself as you can never really trust a lot of the websites but it looks ok. Certainly a big surprise and it could make for a very interesting stag party!!!

Edited by yido

Posted

C

Hello again,

This shot is at 1000m asl on the Northern Slopes of Katschberg Mountain. A long 10km run takes down to the village of St Margarthen. Snow presently well preserved even at the relative lower altitude.

C

post-3489-1227617636_thumb.jpg

Would anyone be able to answer what the next week is looking like for Bulgaria. I'm heading off on Friday and if the cold weather continues I was hoping we may atleast be able to take a ride up to Vitosha Mountain at 1800m for a spot of sledging. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cold weather is likely to continue for the next couple of days, but it is set to turn milder over the weekend, http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Vitosha/6day/bot

Here is a web cam of the resort. http://moten.dir.bg/index-cam-en.html

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/stor...intStoryID=6049

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/stor...intStoryID=6052

Details about the snow falls this past weekend and of the opening of certain resorts.

Latest Snow depths form the Ski Club of GB website.

France

Courchevel 50cm/70cm Last Snow (24 Nov (5cm))

Tignes 70cm/140cm 24 Nov (10cm)

Val Thorens 65cm/95cm 23 Nov (15cm)

Switzerland

Wengen 40cm/65cm 23 Nov (40cm) 31cm

Zermatt 30cm/250cm 24 Nov (30cm) 84cm

Posted

Some resorts opening early due to great snow conditions. Italy seems to be getting a decent dump at the moment, forecast into next week is chopping and changing at the moment.

A question about the GFS ensembles if I may. In the attached picture all the members apart from the main run go for much more enhanced precipitation, is this because it is run at a higher resolution then the others and therefore takes into account local geographical features in more detail, i.e. mountains? I have noticed that in some cases the main run goes for much more precipitation then others. is there certain circumstances when this happens, i.e. when the wind is from the north?

post-5315-1227885242_thumb.png

Posted

Morning all,

Lifts just opened for the start of the new season. First hardy skiers on the slopes. Weather is a bit bleak and cold today with light snow. However, a great base to initiate what , hopefully will be a vintage season.

C

post-3489-1227949991_thumb.jpg

Posted
Morning all,

Lifts just opened for the start of the new season. First hardy skiers on the slopes. Weather is a bit bleak and cold today with light snow. However, a great base to initiate what , hopefully will be a vintage season.

C

Snow getting heavier now. Most skiers probably heading to the bar for warmth and ski-fodder. I know I would.

C

post-3489-1227956499_thumb.jpg

Posted
post-5438-1227957067_thumb.jpg looking good in saalbach for the start of the season as well

Sure does . Lucky them, the suns out.

C

Latest Snow Depth Update at Selected Resorts Figures in Brackets relate to 28 Nov

France

Alpe d'Huez 50cm/130cm (-) 2 Dec 5cm

Chatel 40cm/120cm (-) 1 Dec 5cm

Courchevel 50cm/70cm (50cm/70cm) Last Snow (30 Nov 5cm)

Morzine 30cm/110cm (-) 2 Dec 5cm

Tignes 36cm/100cm (70cm/140cm) 2 Dec 10cm

Val Thorens 50cm/80cm (65cm/95cm) 1 Dec 5cm

Switzerland

Wengen 30cm/45cm (40cm/65cm) 1 Dec 5cm

Zermatt 30cm/250cm (30cm/250cm) 1 Dec 40cm

Italy

Bormio 0cm/130cm (-) 1 Dec 20cm

Austria

Saalbach 30cm/95cm (-) 2 Dec 5cm

Niederau 15cm/40cm (-) 1 Dec 10cm

Posted

Thanks for the updates Jackone.

Encouraging signs so far. I have noticed though that the last handful of seasons (for the French Alps at least) have generally started well or very well even in December, then conditions have gradually declined into January with February faring quite poorly really with mild weather and little new snow (except the highest runs) and quite a lot of rain below 2000 m. There has then been a tendency for conditions to improve markedly in March and April.

The problem with this pattern is, we go in... February!! I am ever hopeful of better conditions for 09 or will recent history repeat?

Moose

The latest forecast is now available http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=51184

In reply to ukmoose, you are spot on there have been some very good start to the winters across the Alps in recent years, but as you say this has not been maintained into January and February, will it be different this year, only time will tell.

However this weeks theme looks promising, for the Alps at least, cold temperatures by and large, periods of snow to top up the powder but also sunny weather for the skiers to enjoy it, long may this continue,

Posted

Yes, we're heading out to Val di Fassa in the Dolomites on 27th December. It would take an amazing increase in temps to erode such a fantastic early season base, and the snow making facilities there are second to none.

Really really looking forward to skiing this year!

Thanks for the link to those mouth watering pics!

Steve m

Latest updates as per the 7th December

Info Source http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/reports/g...rtOrder=Country

France

Alpe d'Huez 60cm/130cm (50cm/130cm) 5 Dec 10cm

Chatel 40cm/120cm (40cm/120cm) 1 Dec 5cm

Courchevel 20cm/95cm (50cm/70cm) 5 Dec 10cm

Morzine 30cm/110cm (30cm/110cm) 2 Dec 5cm

Tignes 66cm/120cm (36cm/100cm) 5 Dec 30cm

Val Thorens 80cm/120cm (50cm/80cm) 5 Dec 35cm

Switzerland

Wengen 30cm/45cm (30cm/45cm) 1 Dec 5cm

Zermatt 30cm/252cm (30cm/250cm) 5 Dec 20cm

Italy

Bormio 55cm/260cm (0cm/130cm) 1 Dec 70cm

Austria

Saalbach 30cm/95cm (30cm/95cm) 2 Dec 5cm

Niederau 15cm/60cm (15cm/40cm) 1 Dec 10cm

Some very significant snowfalls in Italy, and parts of France , http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/stor...intStoryID=6084

Some very snowy webcams out there.

www.avoriaz.com has some very snowy scenes at 1800m, and there is also good snow down the valley in Les Gets and Morzine.

http://www.snoweye.com/?resort=ch_zermatt , shows good snow in Zermatt

http://www.kitz.net/de/wetterstation-stadtwerke.html Finally some good snow down to fairly low levels in Austria, in Kitzbuhel.

Posted

Hi folks

I think every one going skiing in europe over the Christmas period should be able to get some skiing in, unless everything suddenly goes very pear shaped. Just checked out the Massif Central, my nearest ski area, which is only 1200m or so ASL and it looks fantastic, and the Euro weather forcast is for more snow on Tuesday and Wednesday.

http://montdore.sancy.com/

Cheers

FC