Cold?
IGNORED

Alps Weather And Skiing Conditions

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
Any photos. :D

JO

Hope these work - if not ive thm on my laptop but wud need help to get them on here. I'll try this first.

post-8443-1232490163_thumb.jpg

post-8443-1232490227_thumb.jpg

post-8443-1232490251_thumb.jpg

post-8443-1232490292_thumb.jpg

post-8443-1232490323_thumb.jpg

post-8443-1232490360_thumb.jpg

post-8443-1232490486_thumb.jpg

post-8443-1232490517_thumb.jpg

JO

Ah theyve attached alright - enjoy !

Posted
Very nice photos indeed. :D

Thanks JO - have loads more but thats just a selection. As you can see the snow and weather conditions were fantastic. Pity its next yr B4 i get to go back. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
Thanks JO - have loads more but thats just a selection. As you can see the snow and weather conditions were fantastic. Pity its next yr B4 i get to go back. :)

Spent some time over at Leogang...we nicknamed it legoland!! There is a blue run that runs for about 7Km and it was superb. Yes Schattberg was great. Yes depths probably overdone but it seemed Saalbach was very well covered. I have photos on my mobile and will see if I can upload them in next few days or so. Yes our group agreed that we would return as the skiing was top notch. What was the apres bar your end...goatschool or something....I was oiled!! Lol I know, I know the Goabstall

Good photos

Fred

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
Spent some time over at Leogang...we nicknamed it legoland!! There is a blue run that runs for about 7Km and it was superb. Yes Schattberg was great. Yes depths probably overdone but it seemed Saalbach was very well covered. I have photos on my mobile and will see if I can upload them in next few days or so. Yes our group agreed that we would return as the skiing was top notch. What was the apres bar your end...goatschool or something....I was oiled!! Lol I know, I know the Goabstall

Good photos

Fred

I thought u would know the Goat !!! :D Will definately make the effort to do the circuit next year ! Top resort with top skiing ! Maybe get that pint next year !lol :D

Posted

well a week back from La Plagne and Les Arcs and I couldnt agree more that the snow conditions were fantastic.

Anyone going this week will have superb coditions too with heavy snow falling as we left. We had 1m yesterday 9great for skiing in) and appx 50cms from Sun-Tue last week.

Zonality remaining it would appear....however i have not checked models for some time so bear with me :S

Anyone going for the off-piste variety please watch avalanche risk in all concavities...Many of the slopes in Arc and Plagne were showing classic stress signs for failure which will now be covered in new fresh powder. Whilst the paradiski operators do their best to blast most of it, they cannot guarentee 100% safety. I can probably say the same for all other French and Italian and Swiss resorts for this time.

My next is a longish (Thur-Tue) weekend to le trois vallees, then toward the end of the season...snow and money pending I might try out a last minute dash to the swiss areas.

Also....reading news of the storm hitting france and spain today...the Pyrenees may have faired well.

It's been over a week, so i thought I would update the latest snow depths at different resorts.

Latest Updates, 14 Jan in brackets.

France

Alpe d'Huez 139/150cm (70cm/120cm) 24 Jan 20cm

Chatel 120cm/150cm ()90cm/130cm) 23 Jan 5cm

Courchevel 110cm/115cm (55cm/78cm) 24 Jan 36cm

Morzine 80cm/210cm (40cm/150cm) 23 Jan 5cm

Tignes 155cm/190cm (102cm/165cm) 24 Jan 43cm

Val Thorens 125cm.155cm (65cm/100cm) 24 Jan 35cm

Switzerland

Wengen 50cm/90cm (40cm/65cm) 25 Jan 12cm

Zermatt 68cm/300cm (60cm/290cm) 24 Jan 20cm

Italy

Bormio 70cm/315cm (35cm/290cm) 23 Jan 10cm

Austria

Saalbach 45cm/130cm (40cm/125cm) 21 Jan 16cm

All resorts have seen an increase in snow at all levels, and its the first times that can be said for many weeks.

Posted

If only the UK had ski resorts....today in my neck of the woods would be a sure money spinner.

Lots of french and some of the NE Italian resorts had some from of precip today, higher ones fairing well with cold temps up to 30cm of snow should have fallen/fall.

Im going to don my ski's and try out the local hill.......

The latest forecast is out, and there have been some heavy snowfalls giving some fantastic conditions on the slopes. In Brackets figures 26 January.

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=53740

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/stor...intStoryID=6235

France

Alpe d'Huez 140/165cm (139/150cm) 12 Feb 25cm

Chatel 155cm/187cm (120cm/150cm) 12 Feb 5cm

Courchevel 128cm.142cm (110cm/115cm) 12 Feb 15cm

Morzine 110cm/265cm (80cm/210cm) 12 Feb 2cm

Tignes 138cm/1980cm (155cm/190cm) 12 Feb 2cm

Val Thorens 165cm/200cm (125cm/155cm) 12 Feb 10cm

Switzerland

Wengen 70cm/115cm (50cm/90cm) 12 Feb 5cm

Zermatt 69cm/360cm (68cm/300cm) 12 Feb 7cm

Italy

Bormio 90cm/330cm (70cm/315cm) 7 Feb 40cm

Austria

Saalbach 55cm/150cm (45cm/130cm) 11 Feb 18cm

With virtually all resorts having excellent conditions on piste and powder off piste.

Posted

Thanks for the update Jackone.

We're off to Morzine tomorrow, hoping for better conditions than we've had for the last few years at this time. All appears to be well at the moment snow-wise - but looks like it might be a bit cloudy next week after Sunday giving possibly poor, flat light but we'll see.

Will report back on return!

Moose

Thanks for the update Jackone.

We're off to Morzine tomorrow, hoping for better conditions than we've had for the last few years at this time. All appears to be well at the moment snow-wise - but looks like it might be a bit cloudy next week after Sunday giving possibly poor, flat light but we'll see.

Will report back on return!

Moose

Looks pretty snowy but very cold to start, but have a great time. Conditions do look much better than recent years at this time, the web cam below has looked very patchy at this time of year in recent years.

http://www.morznet.com/webcam/morzine/37

Posted
Looks pretty snowy but very cold to start, but have a great time. Conditions do look much better than recent years at this time, the web cam below has looked very patchy at this time of year in recent years.

http://www.morznet.com/webcam/morzine/37

Hi mate,

I'm off to Mayrhofen on saturday the 21st, is there any update on the week ahead i am facing??

Great to hear what is expected, SNOW hopefully!!

Cheers WW

Hi mate,

I'm off to Mayrhofen on saturday the 21st, is there any update on the week ahead i am facing??

Great to hear what is expected, SNOW hopefully!!

Cheers WW

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/stor...intStoryID=6248 :clap::D

Mayrhofen is a low resort, but snow conditions look excellent there at the moment.

Looking pretty cold for the next week whit the chance of further snow, however as you know things can change.

Posted

Quick update from last week in Morzine.

Fantastic conditions all round. 4.5 days of sunshine, heavy snow Monday evening through to early hours Wednesday morning adding well over a foot of new powder to the already superb pistes. 1.5 days lost due to poor visibility, but hey, how can one complain with conditions superb for the rest of the time?

Will add some photos when I can work out how to do it!

Posted

Hi all I'm new to these forums and this is my first post so please be kind!

I'm off to Val Thorens at the beginning of April (around Easter to be precise) and I'm a tad worried about going so late in the season, i.e snow cover will be poor.

However what with the current snow conditions this winter so far (and I look every day!) and the altitude of this resort should I not be worried? I've never been to Val Thorens before so I'm not completely sure how long the snow sticks up there, so if anyone has more info or an opinion I'd be more than interested to read it!

Thanks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

I'm off to Val Thorens at the beginning of April (around Easter to be precise) and I'm a tad worried about going so late in the season, i.e snow cover will be poor.

However what with the current snow conditions this winter so far (and I look every day!) and the altitude of this resort should I not be worried? I've never been to Val Thorens before so I'm not completely sure how long the snow sticks up there, so if anyone has more info or an opinion I'd be more than interested to read it!

Thanks!

Welcome Stuboy,

I stayed in nearby St Martin-de-Belleville 3 years ago for a week from 25th March , the snow turned slush below 15OOm. However, Val Thorens centre is at 2300M with runs down from over 3000m height, so snow should be assured . If the weather turns cold most of the connecting 3 Valleys should be ski-able during the Easter period. Anyway, have a nice time and with good planning ski-ing to St. Martin-de Belleville, via Meribel or Les Menuires is great ski-ing if you like open terrain.

C

Posted
Welcome Stuboy,

I stayed in nearby St Martin-de-Belleville 3 years ago for a week from 25th March , the snow turned slush below 15OOm. However, Val Thorens centre is at 2300M with runs down from over 3000m height, so snow should be assured . If the weather turns cold most of the connecting 3 Valleys should be ski-able during the Easter period. Anyway, have a nice time and with good planning ski-ing to St. Martin-de Belleville, via Meribel or Les Menuires is great ski-ing if you like open terrain.

C

Cheers carinthian, I keep hearing that the height of Val Thorens is it's main saving grace, so hopefully with all the snow they've had not only will it be good in April but hopefully the other resorts lower down will be too!

Last March I went to Kaprun for a week and when I arrived there was snow down to the resort. However by the end of the week a quick thaw had set in and the best snow was only found at the very top of the lower runs and up on the glacier. The powder on the glacier was amazing though best I've seen ever I think!

Posted

hi stuboy,

val thorens is one of the highest resorts in the alps. i had about a metre of snow in january a couple of years ago. it was bitterly cold though. its a great place to ski, and because of the altitude you should be ok in april. some great bars up there too! have fun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Evening,

Lift attendant making his weary way home towards the village, probably stopping off at the Stampl Bar knowing him. Will be in there myself with a pint of Muhr Lager to watch United. Come on the Reds!

C

post-3489-1235503611_thumb.jpg

Posted

Thanks!

Not the prettiest of resorts itself, but very high and snow conditions pretty much guaranteed well into April. Have skied there myself in April before - no problem. Lots of great skiing to be had from there too into neighbouring resorts.