Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Alps Weather And Skiing Conditions

J10

Posted

nice shots although I'm not a fan of the place itself with all that concrete about!

You should drop some in during the summer just to keep the more snow mad addicts happy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Morning all,

The present warm spell in the Eastern Alps has caused a sudden thaw. Warm spring sunshine continues to erode away the well preserved winter pistes. Not good conditions for the Easter Ski-ing break. Temperatures reached 16C yesterday at 1500m asl and 24C in the lower valleys. Todays web view shows heat haze in the Muhr valley and a rapid retreat of the snow line now be around the 1500m range. Med sourced air mass is bringing more holiday makers into the Carinthian Lakes this holiday ratherv than the ski- slopes. Time to cool off with an ice cold beer!

C

post-3489-1239356157_thumb.jpg

nice shots although I'm not a fan of the place itself with all that concrete about!

You should drop some in during the summer just to keep the more snow mad addicts happy!

Will Do John, I take tons of photos, on the basis that at least one or 2 will come out decently.

Morning all,

The present warm spell in the Eastern Alps has caused a sudden thaw. Warm spring sunshine continues to erode away the well preserved winter pistes. Not good conditions for the Easter Ski-ing break. Temperatures reached 16C yesterday at 1500m asl and 24C in the lower valleys. Todays web view shows heat haze in the Muhr valley and a rapid retreat of the snow line now be around the 1500m range. Med sourced air mass is bringing more holiday makers into the Carinthian Lakes this holiday ratherv than the ski- slopes. Time to cool off with an ice cold beer!

C

It is amazing the difference over the past 2 weeks in France.

-------------------

Here are the latest updates as we move towards the end of the season, these were last updated around the 9th March.

France

Alpe d'Huez 98cm/165cm (140/165cm) 3 Apr 5cm

Chatel 90cm/15cm (130cm/180cm) (105/155cm) 30 Mar 25cm

Courchevel 85cm/135cm (135cm/145cm) 3 Apr 5cm

Morzine 30cm/210cm (100cm/270cm) 29 Mar 5cm

Tignes 105cm.178cm (145/190cm) 2 Apr 5cm

Val Thorens 140cm/180cm (165/215cm) 3 Apr 5cm

Switzerland

Wengen 10cm/95cm (75cm/140cm) 29 Mar 10cm

Zermatt 55cm/408cm (88cm/300cm) 2 Apr 5cm

Italy

Bormio 20cm /300cm (60cm/300cm) 29 Mar 50cm

Austria

Saalbach 50cm/130cm (80cm/185cm) 30 Mar 9cm

Very much shows the thaw well and truly underway at the lower slopes

Posted

Although further east into the Alps the conditions continue to be warm in the Pyrenees especially the western area continues to see new snowfall with loads of fresh powder snow and cold temps. Once the snow clears resorts here especially Cauterets look excellent with snow depths near 500 cms on the upper slopes. A fantastic end to the skiing season definitely looks on the cards here. :D

Posted

Hello all.

Well got back from Val Thorens yesterday (after a very long journey on the Snow Train!) and conditions generally throughout the whole week were average. The snow melt in the town of Val Thorens was quite considerable over the course of the week. Pictures of the buildings when I first arrived showed very thick coverings on all roofs. However when I left on Saturday about 2/3 of this snow had melted. Pistes became very slushy at lower levels too. However except the last day of boarding (Friday) the weather was fine and sunny and I even managed to get sunburn! The great base of snow over the winter meant that despite the melt skiing/snowboarding was still manageable. Friday and Saturday saw higher winds, lift closures and snow at high levels and even in the resort briefly. However in typical fashion it was time to go home then!

All in all a very enjoyable holiday, it's just a shame we went in early April and not Feb or Jan! So lesson learnt I hope and I think it's either Canada or Austria next season!

Latest Update on the Snow Conditions across the Alps, as the mild end to the season contuinues.

The figures in brackets were updated on the 10th April.

France

Alpe d'Huez 67cm/145cm (98cm/165cm) 16 Apr 5cm

Chatel 50/115cm ( 90cm/115cm) 30 Mar 25cm

Courchevel 56cm/122cm (85cm/135cm) 3 Apr 5cm

Morzine 10cm/190cm (30cm/210cm) 16 Apr 5cm

Tignes 79cm/160cm (105cm.178cm) 16 Apr 20cm

Val Thorens 110cm/150cm (140cm/180cm) 16 Apr 1cm

Switzerland

Wengen 5cm/75cm (10cm/95cm) 29 Mar 10cm

Zermatt 7cm/402cm (55cm/408cm) 17 Apr 42cm

Italy

Bormio 20cm/280cm (20cm /300cm) 29 Mar 50cm

Austria

Saalbach 35cm/100cm (50cm/130cm) 30 Mar 9cm

Over the past few weeks there have been some very mild temps across the Alps, however over the past few days, there has been some snow at some of the higher resorts and slopes.

Look Ahead

A rather unsettled day seems likely on Saturday with some showers quite widely across the Alps, Some snow is again likely generally above around 1750-2000m, and these levels tending to fall during the evening.

On Sunday, a generally dry start in the likely in the morning with some brighter spells, but with some showers across Italy, during the afternoon the showers tending to build with some heavy showers especially again for Italy but also pushing into France and southern parts of Austria and Switzerland. The snow levels rising to 2200-2300m for the afternoon.

On Monday Showers tending to continue overnight for Italy, but generally dry elsewhere but a similar story to Sunday with the showers again becoming more widespread in the afternoon ,with some heavy and prolonged showers in places, the snow level around 2200-2400m, with some prolonged precipitation possible for Switzerland during the evening and overnight.

Tuesday although some light precipitation is likely during the morning over Switzerland, it should be generally dry and with any showers moving west into France for the afternoon and again generally dry and mild for the afternoon.

For the Pyrenees a rather mixed weekend and start to next week with some showers at times, freezing levels generally around the 2000m mark.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

JACKONE tahnks for all your forecasts on this, whilst I tend to be a watcher than a commenter when I have not had time to review has been good to read about conditions.

Ill remember the insane falls the week i was in Plagne...the other trips were sunny, but I think La Plagne had to be in some respects the best and some respects the hardest week of skiing ever.

All are now closed apart from a couple of glacier resorts.

Again...thanks for all your updates...heres to a sunny summer and snowy next winter for the alps (and perhaps (optimistically)) for the UK too.

See you in the thunderstorm threads

John