Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The CET Record From 1659 To Present

Roger J Smith

Posted

The CET record from 1659 to present

At the end of this post, you'll find a data base of monthly CET anomalies that is complete from January 1659 to the most recent month (Oct 2008 as of time of posting, I hope to update the file as new data are added).

You can then use this data base for any studies or areas of interest that you have. Have a look at the file, and note the following features:

(a) the graph provided under the option "current" is the 11-year running mean of CET annual temperatures. This graph shows you the ups and downs of the temperature record smoothed over an interval that amounts to the 11 years surrounding each given year, so pretty much on a decadal scale. I've identified all the years that form peaks and troughs in this complex record. It goes without saying that the temperatures begin to rise sharply after 1982, and who knows where this will end? Perhaps it has already peaked, but the last 11-year period plotted is of course 1998-2008. Now 2008 is not quite a done deal yet, so this last data point will change incrementally, probably not by more than 0.1 C degree.

The anomaly table was constructed by typing in the actual values, then calculating the long-term averages, to the nearest tenth of a degree, then applying those to the values to generate anomalies.

At the bottom of each column, you'll find these average values, both to the nearest tenth, and the nearest hundredth of a degree C. Those are the values against which the anomalies are cast.

To the right of the main table (you can access the data by clicking off "current" and clicking on the other tab shown) you'll find the 50-year averages for each month in anomaly form. It is interesting to compare how these vary from month to month. For example, February has warmed up only about one-third as quickly as January in the last half century. June seems almost immune to the modern tendency to global warming.

The graph is based on data stored in columns starting AA. The labels unfortunately shift over further to the right on excel than on my home-based Aseasy program, perhaps I can fix this up once the file is on line here.

I'm sure this is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of what you can get out of this data base, if you like studying historical weather trends. I hope to post a similar data base for Toronto, 1841-present, to give people another toy for Christmas perhaps.

Well then, here's your CET monthly anomaly file: and feel free to post your own observations. Just don't change the data base if you find that you can (hopefully not), I will do that whenever amendments are required.

CET_ANOM.xls

Edited by Roger J Smith

Posted

Just alerting NW readers to this new feature, glad to see that quite a few have made some use of it already.

Will save you a week of typing numbers if you're interested in creating a database of CET values.

Due to a revision of the October 2008 CET from provisional 10.0 to final 9.7, I have adjusted the last data entry from 0.3 to 0.0, check to make sure this revision shows up in your data base, especially if you have already downloaded.

Edited by Roger J Smith

• 2 years later...
Posted

UPDATE _ for anyone who downloaded the data base in 2008 or more recently, or for anyone now finding this resource for the first time, please note the recent data that you can add to your data base.

2008 NOV 1.0, DEC -0.6 YEAR 0.775

2009 to 2011 data

2009 ... -0.2, 0.2, 1.7, 2.1, 0.9, 0.5, 0.1, 1.0, 0.9, 1.9, 2.7, -0.7 _ 0.925

2010 ... -1.8,-1.1,0.8, 0.9, -0.5, 0.9, 1.1, -0.3, 0.5, 0.6, -0.8, -4.8 _ -0.375

2011 ... 0.5, 2.5, 1.4, 3.9, 0.0, -0.5, -0.8

The long-term averages (one decimal) for each month remain the same as in the original document, the two-decimal values have changed in some cases to these values:

3.24 .. 3.87 .. 5.32 .. 7.93 .. 11.22 .. 14.33 .. 15.96 .. 15.63 .. 13.33 .. 9,69 .. 6.04 .. 4.07 ... 9.21 annual

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A more recent thread of mine in the historical weather section compares various periods such as the Maunder, Dalton, historical and modern.

Edited by Roger J Smith