Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Jack Scott Passes Away

MAF

Posted

the BBC forecaster and highly regarded presenter Jack Scott has passed away ;)

Mr Scott worked for the corporation from 1969 to 1983, and in 1975 he introduced the famous magnetic weather symbols to the British public.

He joined the Met Office in 1941 aged 17 and during World War II worked on RAF stations in the Shetland Isles, North Africa and Malta.

Mr Scott also worked as a weatherman on Thames Television in the 1980s and was a presenter on Channel 4.

The forecaster, who died on Tuesday, auditioned for television in 1968.

In the years that followed, he became one of the mainstays of BBC television and radio weather presenting. He also fronted the TV series Under The Weather and helped to lay the foundations of the computerised system of forecasting used today.

BBC

Full story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7727215.stm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Jack Scott was an excellent forecaster and a master of presentation. In my view he was up there with the very best such as Bert Foord, Michael Fish and Bill Giles, to name but three.

There are many regional weather presenters who will never be forecasters but could spend some useful time watching re-runs of Jack's forecasts to learn how things should be done.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Lovely chap Jack was. A real gentleman. Knew his job alright.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

He will be remembered by those of us of a certain age as a towering giant of the world of meteorology. Very sad news indeed, and the passing of an era. Sincere condolences to all his family.

Posted

sad news indeed, a lovely bloke and a very good weather forecaster on BBC and his later input when he retired from there.

Had several lovely phrases,

'fog riding up on the hills'

'showers pecking away at the coasts'

and more.

He did his best to get me on to TV, the b----r but I managed to avoid it.

I met him years later and he was full of quips and stories about his days on BBC TV.

Two now gone including the superb Bert Foord.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Very very sad news- a true giant in the BBC Weather forecasting.

Rest in Peace and hopefully he'll have his favorite weather in heaven!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

He was one of my favourite forecasters in the early days. Sad news indeed.

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)

I remember Jack fondly, as John says, some great phrases for the weather, he was always entertaining.

He will be missed but not forgotten.

Very sad news, only last weekend I was moving some books and came across a book hew wrote called ' Weather Forecasting' which made me interested in the weather. There was no internet in them days so such a book along with the BBC weather forecast and Angila forecast with Michael Hunt was all you had to keep you happy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I'm very sad to hear about the passing of Jack Scott at the age of 85. I remember writing him a letter when I was a young boy and he wrote back to me describing the qualifications I would need to become a meteorologist, alas I never made it but he was my favourite forecaster. I used to love those magnetic weather symbols which Jack introduced to the British public in 1975.

Edited by Frosty039

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

So sad to hear that Jack Scott has passed away, I remember his weather presentations very well and learned a great deal from his bulletins, a brilliant weatherman indeed.

Paul

Posted

The very best of all the TV forecasters in the days when they were allowed to explain things to us. I thank Jack for my interest in the weather. His wonderful TV forecasts & the late night weather report on radio 4 in the 70s, taught me so much, without me actually knowing how much I was learning at the time. I've mentioned him many times when threads pop up about "How did you get interested in weather?" & he was an inspiration.

Rather sadly that just leaves Sir Rob as the only one left from the "golden age". Thank goodness he was just a youngster & has a few years left in him.

Goodbye Jack & thanks for everything.

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

God bless `ol Jack,

Todays forecasters pale in comparison,

I guess all the 30 something`s and on miss the "golden age" of licorice on the pressure maps,

but the weather goes on as time itself, thanks for the memories Jack Scott :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.

i too was very saddened to hear of the death of jack scott. I will always remember his own particular style of presentation on bbc weather and more especially on thames news in the 1980,s . I feel he represents the last of a breed that learnt meteorology the hard way through the forces in the war and then at the met office before finally presenting the weather in a no nonsense way on the tv.

from all that i have heard he is a true gent and have heard him called "gentleman jack" probably for a very good reason.

as a tribute i will upload some forecasts made by him on thames in the 1980,s...in the meantime here is a link to one forecast with jack that i uploaded some time ago on you-tube. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-C-PsDg-ric

we will all miss you jack and thank you for your contribution to weather forecasting for so many years. rest in peace.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
i too was very saddened to hear of the death of jack scott. I will always remember his own particular style of presentation on bbc weather and more especially on thames news in the 1980,s . I feel he represents the last of a breed that learnt meteorology the hard way through the forces in the war and then at the met office before finally presenting the weather in a no nonsense way on the tv.

from all that i have heard he is a true gent and have heard him called "gentleman jack" probably for a very good reason.

as a tribute i will upload some forecasts made by him on thames in the 1980,s...in the meantime here is a link to one forecast with jack that i uploaded some time ago on you-tube. <a href="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-C-PsDg-ric" target="_blank">http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-C-PsDg-ric</a>

we will all miss you jack and thank you for your contribution to weather forecasting for so many years. rest in peace.

Edited by ludensian

Posted

I empathise with the comments on here as regarding the late Jack Scott.

I as a child remember his forecasts and the, on occasion slipping magnetic weather symbols. :)

Another icon now departed high above the clouds.

Rest in peace Jack. It was you who really kickstarted my interest in meteorology at an early age.

But check this out too. I was trying to find a YouTube video of sorts but this is the best I can find at this time...

LASTING TRIBUTE TO JACK SCOTT

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted

Like others I am sorry to hear of the sad news as I am old enough to remember his time on BBC TV and radio. There were far fewer presenters (and forecasts) back then so I think you seemed to get to know the ones we had rather better than you do with the many we have today.

In fairness though there are still a number of excellent presenters on the BBC - Willets, Hammond, Rob Mc and that little chap with wavy arms whose name escapes me. Francis Wilson and Isobel Lang are also good on Sky.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I'm sad to hear about this. My father actually met the man once on holiday and had a chat about the weather. A very good presenter remember him well.

Just think JohnH if you went on TV you could be the celeb around here and not some young upstart called Michael Fish B) :D

Posted

happy as it is Pit, TV I decided, long ago, in spite of Jacks' best efforts, was not for me.

Posted
Sad news indeed, one of the first weather forecasters I remember seeing as a lad. Rest in peace Jack and may it snow everyday in heaven.

ditto