Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Mountain Forecasts & Conditions

Posted

Hi folks,

Been lurking on the MOD thread for a good while now and my main interest is how the weather is going to affect my sporting possibilities up North. The majority of folks however seem to be from Southern climes and the typical comment of "an non (snow) event other than for Scottish Mountains" gets me excited.

Would be good to have a thread where we can discuss the impact of model outputs on skiing and climbing in Scotland/Northern England. Something like this may already exist but I couldn't find it.

Mods if there is a better place for this then please shift it over.

Anyway from what I am seeing (very amateur eye) the NE three resorts should get a bit of snow from Friday/Saturdays Nrly, and then I'm hoping the Western two will catch some from the NWerly on Sunday/Monday although not sure how far down the mountain this will fall as the 850's are a bit high. The other issue is whether the turf gets a chance to freeze as temps drop on Friday before the layer of insulating snow falls on top.

Are there any experts on altitude effects on snow/wind/temps etc out there?

Cheers

Andy

Posted

Hi mate, we usually have a Winter mountain topic in the seasonal area but nobody has started one this year yet i dont think. I'll move this over and change the title :lol:

Posted
I do a weekly forecast on the Skiing/ weather conditions in the Alps http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=blog;sess=

This generally does not cover Scotland, but I could extend this to do so.

That would be great thanks, the more we can do to encourge folks to ski and board in Scotland the better. I think there is a perception in the UK that Scottish skiing is not worth the effort but we often get amazing conditions as well as a longer season than the alps. Check this for an example after Octobers Nerly - http://www.winterhighland.info/publicrepor...8635,1118#start .

The key to getting a good day is however very weather dependant so any insight from the the folks on NW would be most appreciated!

Posted
That would be great thanks, the more we can do to encourge folks to ski and board in Scotland the better. I think there is a perception in the UK that Scottish skiing is not worth the effort but we often get amazing conditions as well as a longer season than the alps. Check this for an example after Octobers Nerly - http://www.winterhighland.info/publicrepor...8635,1118#start .

The key to getting a good day is however very weather dependant so any insight from the the folks on NW would be most appreciated!

for the best mountain weather go to mwis.org.uk. :lol:

Posted

Just to counter some of the negativity on the model thread, I'm seeing lots of mountain snow potential atm. Looking great for an early season base. Hopefully the thaw/consolidation on Wed/Thursday will get things ready for a big dump Friday. :)

Posted

Anyone been into the hills today or yesterday?

I think i'll be going out tomorrow, not sure where yet. I think around the Glencoe area looks like a good bet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

First felltop conditions for Helvellyn today from the Met Office website

Lake District National Park Authority FELLTOP CONDITIONS REPORT from Helvellyn at 1230pm on Saturday 29th November 2008 There is ice on paths at all levels. There is light powder snow above 350m which increases in depth with height. The snow has not adhered to the surface making steep ground, such as the exits to Swirral and Striding Edges, extremely slippery. Full winter clothing is recommended together with an ice axe for anyone venturing above the snow level. Crampons should also be carried, especially if steep paths are to be attempted since the snow is forecasted to re-freeze tonight. Windchill on the summit today was -2.2 degrees.

Posted

Heads up - Countryfile on now (BBC1) reporting from Conistion and mountain rescue services

Edited by jimben

Posted

Anyone out on the hills today? If not then you missed out!

Quick picture i took on Ben Lawers today. I'll post more in the photo forum tomorrow when i've had some sleep :drunk:

1.jpg

Posted

The Ben looked fantastic on webcam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cracking photos. It was beautiful up in Highland Perthshire yesterday but pretty cold in the shaded valleys.

Pictures of the road reminded me of times trying to get up there on the road, getting some momentum only to turn a corner and find someone reversing back down having got stuck further up. :)

Posted

Yeah, we had lots of trouble getting out. Somebody was trying to get up in a Megane, started sliding backwards when there were more cars behind him! Luckily for him the car behind him managed to move. After that he had to reverse most of the way down the road (he was near the bottom anyway) because people had parked in the passing places as they couldn't get to the car park. For some reason he couldn't reverse straight, so it took him 20mins to reverse... (No exaggeration and no ice on the road at this point!) We didn't know whether to laugh or cry, he could of been drunk... Also had a queue of 5 cars behind us waiting on him.

Posted

Plenty of snow forecast for the Lakeland tops

Scottish climbing will get a real boost over the next few days with good falls of snow and low temps and I would think gullies being in great condition