Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Austrian Weather

Posted
  • Location: 900m ,Mühlbach am Hochkönig, Austrian Alps, ( 45mins due south of Salzburg)
  • Location: 900m ,Mühlbach am Hochkönig, Austrian Alps, ( 45mins due south of Salzburg)

Hi,

Just reporting that our area has weather warnings for snow and strong winds for tonight and the weekend. Drifting snow in the village will be a new sight!! There are forecasting between 20 to 30 cm of snow.

Just raining here at the moment but looking at the 2 local webcams there is plenty of snow up the mountain:-

http://www.arthurhaus.at/~algo0049_1/webca...hurhaus-640.jpg

http://salzburg.touristcam.at/webcam/f5505175.php

When the storm arrives here I will put my web cam on- link at the bottom.

I will up date later.

Nigel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Hi,

Just reporting that our area has weather warnings for snow and strong winds for tonight and the weekend. Drifting snow in the village will be a new sight!! There are forecasting between 20 to 30 cm of snow.

Just raining here at the moment but looking at the 2 local webcams there is plenty of snow up the mountain:-

I will up date later.

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Thanks for that. On Jan 10th am going to Saalbach for my skiing hols this winter and can't wait so the more early snow the better.

regards

BFTP/Fred

Posted
Hi,

I will up date later.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for this. I'm in Russbach (about 45mins SE of Salzburg, near Abtenau) from 20 Dec- 27Dec.

I've promised my 3 young boys a white Christmas ...on the mts at least. They're almost as excited as me about the prospects of a really white Christmas! :doh::)

Edited by Kiwi

Posted

Hi,

Just a quick update. It is now -3.5 oC and it has been snowing all night. We now have about 6 cm of snow.

Was windy in the night but the snow has not drifted. It is now perfectly calm.

The webcam is on:-

http://austriasnow.camstreams.com/

( if you double click the picture you will get a better view of the falling snow)

Nigel

Posted
Hi,

Just a quick update. It is now -3.5 oC and it has been snowing all night. We now have about 6 cm of snow.

Was windy in the night but the snow has not drifted. It is now perfectly calm.

The webcam is on:-

( if you double click the picture you will get a better view of the falling snow)

Nigel

Nigel,

thanks... excellent picture, my boys are jumping up and down with excitement over the amount of snow that has fallen already B) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Snow on the "Golden roof " this morning in Innsbruck City centre. Nice Christmas Tree . Forecast falls of 40cm in parts of Upper Austria over this weekend.

C

post-3489-1227347873_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

The last 7 days has produced over 1.5m of level snowfall in parts of the East Tirol and Southern Province of Carinthia. Even lower level "lake" cities of Spittal and Villach have a deep covering. Certainly a white Christmas for them. Constant low pressure system over the SE Alps has fed a lot of moisture into the mountains, hence copious amount of snowfall. Much colder condition are forecast over the Christmas and New Year period should retain the snow with further blizzards likely.

C

post-3489-1229678745_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Posted

Hi,

Really heavy snow here. have a look at my webcam:-

We had 4 days of falling snow last week, but this is far heavier. We already have 75 cm and they estimate another 45 cm !!!

The roads are getting quite bad and all cars have snow chains on . Looking at the radar there is more to come.

Nigel

Posted
Hi,

Really heavy snow here. have a look at my webcam:-

We had 4 days of falling snow last week, but this is far heavier. We already have 75 cm and they estimate another 45 cm !!!

The roads are getting quite bad and all cars have snow chains on . Looking at the radar there is more to come.

Nigel

Hi,

NEly wind now increasing as forecast. Blinding snowfall at the moment with temperature in the village (1760m) asl down to Minus 8C.

post-3489-1234882710_thumb.jpg

Posted

Wonderful guys. I had great ski holiday this year in Saalbach....it was literally perfect snow conditions. What a place...I keep going back. The great winter goes on.

BFTP

Posted
Wonderful guys. I had great ski holiday this year in Saalbach....it was literally perfect snow conditions. What a place...I keep going back. The great winter goes on.

BFTP

Hi Fred,

Yes, certainly a vintage season. The best snow conditions I have known in Austrian since I first starting coming out here in 1977. Snow depth in the vilaage now close to 200cm. I never skied in Saalbach, only in Feiberbrunn in the next valley. That region certainly is a snow pocket with its own snow making micro - climate and of course good ski-ing as well. In Carinthia at the moment a NEly blizzard is starting to dump a lot of snow-with very low temperatures forecast until Thursday.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
Hi Fred,

Yes, certainly a vintage season. The best snow conditions I have known in Austrian since I first starting coming out here in 1977. Snow depth in the vilaage now close to 200cm. I never skied in Saalbach, only in Feiberbrunn in the next valley. That region certainly is a snow pocket with its own snow making micro - climate and of course good ski-ing as well. In Carinthia at the moment a NEly blizzard is starting to dump a lot of snow-with very low temperatures forecast until Thursday.

C

Cams look fantastic guys ! I like BFTP was in Hinterglemm at the same time he was in Saalbach and the conditions were perfect. The snowfall recently inc today just makes me wish i was there again ! Totally jealous lol. But will have to wait unfortunately until next January. ENJOY and stay safe.

Posted
Cams look fantastic guys ! I like BFTP was in Hinterglemm at the same time he was in Saalbach and the conditions were perfect. The snowfall recently inc today just makes me wish i was there again ! Totally jealous lol. But will have to wait unfortunately until next January. ENJOY and stay safe.

Hi Johnny,

Just for you. Last stragglers coming home!

C

post-3489-1234891029_thumb.jpg

Posted

BFTP

it's a wonderfull place in the summer to,where did you stay

Posted

Morning all,

Yesterdays blizzard now cleared but area still in a cold air mass this morning with lots of new powder snow. This shot is looking down into the village which is presently almost buried in the white stuff.

C

post-3489-1234943150_thumb.jpg

Posted

not Austria but an example of how much wonderful snow there is currently in the Alps area.

Wengen has 140cm in the village, and Murren even more at 165cm. 144cm=44 inches. There is a photograph of the skiing area above Grindelwald which has a fence in the foreground that is buried almost. In all the years I've been there, 21 years and looked when away at this web site I have never seen that edge covered to the depth it is now.

Oh for a spare few hundred quid and I'd be off with Easy jet tomorrow!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
it's a wonderfull place in the summer to,where did you stay

I stayed in the Chalet Juliane which is a Neilson Chalet. Almost ski to the door. Where I stopped at bottom the chalet was 20 feet acroass the road....superb. I'm sure its beautiful in summer too but at mo its either ski holiday or summer holiday...ski wins at present.

regards

BFTP

Posted

Evening all,

Great shot of the last daylight sinking over the horizon. Those mountains in the far distance are the Hohe Tauren Range with Gross Glockner just visible in the twilight (the one with the pointed top ) On slopes above the village you can see all the lights of the piste bashers at work and the night ski-ing pistes lit up. You can just see our place in a group of 4 lite up properties just above the main village to the righthand side. Cold night forecast with temperatures down to -15C.

C.

post-3489-1234977657_thumb.jpg

Posted

Morning all,

Stunning day. Great snow conditions and runs vitually empty of skiers. Was cold last night with a minium temperature of -15C but now very pleasant in the mid-day sunshine.

C

post-3489-1235042098_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hi ,

Here are some pictures of the recent snow which is the fastest fall I have seen since moving here!!! About 50 cm in 24 hours!! Lots of snow clearing to do and the snow started to drift which is very unusually here!!

Picture009.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Picture052-1.jpg

Picture053.jpg

Picture055-1.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Picture063.jpg

Picture066.jpg

There is now according to official figures 210cm on the mountain and 100cm in the village. This is getting near to the totals form 3 winters ago.

Nigel

Edited by musicman

Posted

super shots there, bit like my back garden 2 weeks ago; that is if you were a snail or similar sized creature!

Posted

Fantastic Nigel. Some snowfall that.

C

Posted

Hi,

The last few days there has been a major snow event here. It has been snowing since Thursday night and the

official depth this morning was 130cm in the village ( over 4 foot) and 240 cm on the mountain

The forecast is for more snow in the next few days. Since living here I have not seen so much snow with most of it falling in the last week. We nearly have the same amount we had 3 winters ago where we had 150cm. The road to the next village is shut because of avalanche risk and I think I will have to clear the roof because of the weight of the snow. We are doing lots of snow clearing but running out of space to put the snow!! The piles are bigger then me.

I will try and take some more photos tomorrow. The webcam is usually on during the day if you want to see the snow.

The skiing is excellent and even on piste you are skiing though deep powder.

I will keep you updated as the snow gets deeper and deeper.

Nigel