post-5508-1227373148_thumb.jpg

post-5508-1227373167_thumb.jpg

post-5508-1227373328_thumb.jpg

post-5508-1227373346_thumb.jpg

post-5508-1227373392_thumb.jpg

post-5508-1227373418_thumb.jpg

post-5508-1227373500_thumb.jpg

post-5508-1227373549_thumb.jpg

A trip on the A170 & A171 to the North Yorkshire Coast. Had to contend with difficult driving conditions from 9am -> 4pm when I headed back home. Snow was settling all day expect right on the coast. A171 was closed for a time so I had to turn back. Best of the snow was between Pickering and Scarborough on the A170 which was just about passable. Several Inches in favored spots. Many minor accidents on the roads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
post-5508-1227373167_thumb.jpg

A trip on the A170 & A171 to the North Yorkshire Coast. Had to contend with difficult driving conditions from 9am -> 4pm when I headed back home. Snow was settling all day expect right on the coast. A171 was closed for a time so I had to turn back. Best of the snow was between Pickering and Scarborough on the A170 which was just about passable. Several Inches in favored spots. Many minor accidents on the roads.

This one's surely your Christmas card this year :lol:

It looks lovely up there and so unusual to see snow with the rusty leaves still on the beech tree in the background. Great pics.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Should have gone there me thinks. Miss opportunity. Nice pics but what is that white stuff???? :lol: :D

Posted
Brilliant pics, amazing i'm only 1 hr away, is the last pic water froth stuff or ice?

Its "north sea froth stuff" as its known!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Lovely pictures WS, thanks for sharing.

BL. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Those pics are out of this world , i can only dream about such scenes :lol: :D

Edited by Spurry

Posted

Great pics, thanks for sharing. :rofl: Lets hope more of us get to see scenes like that over the coming days. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Nice pictures, I ventured out onto the moors also, going through Grosmont and Goathland. Some very pretty scenes although both towns became completely cut off by road.. Luckily I left the car in Whitby and went in on the train otherwise I'd have joined the dozens of people who had to abandon their cars in Grosmont after riding the Steam Train to Pickering and back. I'll put some pics up later, but it was well worth the 2 and a half hour walk to Goathland from Grosmont! (though we wished we'd realised it was all uphill before hand and took the train out and walked back instead!)

Edited by Gorky

Posted
Nice pictures, I ventured out onto the moors also, going through Grosmont and Goathland. Some very pretty scenes although both towns became completely cut off by road.. Luckily I left the car in Whitby and went in on the train otherwise I'd have joined the dozens of people who had to abandon their cars in Grosmont after riding the Steam Train to Pickering and back. I'll put some pics up later, but it was well worth the 2 and a half hour walk to Goathland from Grosmont! (though we wished we'd realised it was all uphill before hand and took the train out and walked back instead!)

I was heading that way at first but the A171 was closed for a while, so decides to stay around Scarborough. I will look forward to seeing the pictures.

Edited by WS Evolution

Posted

[sounds like you big kids have been having fun out in the snow. I drove to Harrogate from Bradford this afternoon, the only snow i saw was on the front bumper of a car at tea time back in Bradford!!!!!!!

Posted

Here's a Chase report (like my storm chase reports from May, only with Snow!)

I set off this morning to meet a friend in Whitby with plans of heading into the moors to go Snow Chasing.. The Road North was treacherous and littered with crashed vehicles such as the one below. In all I saw about a dozen such scenes on this road and the rural areas around Whitby!

post-1731-1227388920_thumb.jpg

I stopped at Fylingthorpe on route to Whitby. The snow was getting heavier in this area... There were lots of showers out to sea, with a threatening storm coming in from the North.

post-1731-1227388933_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1227388944_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1227388952_thumb.jpg

Whitby was surprisingly clear of snow. Being right on the coast next to a warmish sea must have stopped any snow from settling. The views of the showers were great though, and the wind up on the West Cliff was almost enough to knock you off your feet.

post-1731-1227388958_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1227388964_thumb.jpg

Out to Grosmont! The roads were cloased and the only way in was on train. We got their just in time to see the steam train arrive from Pickering, through a brief snow flurry.

post-1731-1227389026_thumb.jpg

We walked from Grosmont to Goathland with the aim of catching the train back. At first, snow cover was spotty, as we watched the train steam by.

post-1731-1227389042_thumb.jpg

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I PRESENT TO YOU..... THE WORLDS WORST SNOWMAN (and me!) :good:

post-1731-1227389054_thumb.jpg

Snow started to get heavier as the path rose towards Goathland, which is significantly higher than where we had come from!

post-1731-1227389075_thumb.jpg

We arrived at Goathland as the sun was setting. It had had a pretty good pasting.

post-1731-1227389088_thumb.jpg

Goathland Station was beautiful in the snow!

post-1731-1227389121_thumb.jpg

Here comes the train through the snow again... How much I wish I could have the train drivers job today!

post-1731-1227389134_thumb.jpg

Back in Gromont at the end of the day as night falls!

post-1731-1227389147_thumb.jpg

Here there were about 20 cars left in the station car park. Visitors who had no way out of the town as all roads out were blocked. A local cafe stayed open late so we could keep warm until a pub opened, and then we all crowded onto the last train back to Whitby, with many leaving their cars behind. I'm thankful I was stopped from drving into Grosmont otherwise I'd still be stuck there now probably :rofl:

Anyway, hope you enjoy the pics!

Posted
Here's a Chase report (like my storm chase reports from May, only with Snow!)

Fantastic. Wish I got the train form pickering now. Although had my share of snow where I was.

Posted
Fantastic. Wish I got the train form pickering now. Although had my share of snow where I was.

I think Scarborough probably had more snow than many places on the moors. Goathland was the only spot where I would say it was much worse than what is here. It was still pretty bad when I got back at 8Pm here in Scarborough. I especially like your picture of the North Bay froth... I'd have normally been down there on a day like today, but ventured out to the moors for the first time during snowy weather. It was every bit as treacherous as I feared :good: I might have to nip out tomorrow morning. Hopefully, we'll get a bit more snow as the front pushes through...

Edited by Gorky

Posted
I think Scarborough probably had more snow than many places on the moors. Goathland was the only spot where I would say it was much worse than what is here. It was still pretty bad when I got back at 8Pm here in Scarborough. I especially like your picture of the North Bay froth... I'd have normally been down there on a day like today, but ventured out to the moors for the first time during snowy weather. It was every bit as treacherous as I feared :good: I might have to nip out tomorrow morning. Hopefully, we'll get a bit more snow as the front pushes through...

The deepest snow was about 1/2 way between Picking and Scarborough on the A170. The gritters made very little impact!

Posted

Beautiful pictures, well done to all of you, really made me smile, even though I havent sen any white stuff myself! Love the frothy sea......did somebody put bubble bath in it? lol. I love the pictures of heartbeat country. The station picture with people stood on the bridge was my fave...just wish I could have been there myself :good:

Posted
Nice pics!

Was around there the place in England with the most snow? How deep was the deepest place?

It was about 4-6 inches deep at the top of Goathland, drifting higher than that in many places. The roads had a bit less on, but it took a while for it to lay on the roads and overcome the salt which was laid down by gritters I suspect.

Posted

Hi Guys,

Some lovely pictures there. I loved the steam trains and the snow Gorky, absolutely fabulous. It reminded me of Sheringham where I used to live, we had a steam railway there.

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

TTFN

Debs

Posted

SCARBOROUGH has been hit by a series of snow storms leading to chaos on the roads.

A total of six car accidents took place on Saturday morning which led to parts of the A171 Scarborough to Whitby road being closed.

Temperatures plunged to below freezing on Sunday and weather experts warned drivers to stay off the roads.

Scarborough Police closed the road between Boggle Hole and Pond Hill.

The road was closed for two hours while the vehicles were recovered.

The first accident happened at 1.36am at Fylingdales when a Ford KA skidded off the road. At 3.50am and van went off the road at High Hawsker and at 6.51am a Ford Transit van skidded off the road at Cloughton.

Three vehicles were involved in a collision at 4.52am at Fylingdales. A van was hit by a Vauxhall Vectra which was then hit by a BMW. The next accident happened at 7.26am at Cloughton Bank when a van went off the road and later in the morning there was another accident at Fylingdales between a Vauxhall Vectra, Renault Clio and Vauxhall Astra.

Nobody was injured in any of the accidents.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Thanks to you too Gorky, lovely snowy scenes.

BL. :o

• UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-29 07:13:16 Valid: 29/03/2024 0600 - 30/03/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - FRI 29 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Difficult travel conditions as the Easter break begins

Low Nelson is throwing wind and rain at the UK before it impacts mainland Spain at Easter. Wild condtions in the English Channel, and more rain and lightning here on Thursday. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-28 09:16:06 Valid: 28/03/2024 0800 - 29/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 28 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F