Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What Is The Coldest It Can Get Without Snow Cover?

trickydicky

Posted

Good evening peoples, this is the first time I have been so brazen as to start my own topic so come on, someone has to reply or i'll be embarrassed! 

My question is this - what is the coldest it can get without snow cover? I know it can get sub -20 almost anywhere in land in the UK quite comfortably with a bit of snow. I would estimate that the limit of a non snow cover frosty night would be about -15. I grew up in Cumbria and I seem to remember -12 or so being not out of the question from time to time on occasions when there was no snow.

Any Ideas?

Much appreciated  :yahoo:

Posted
bump

don't get disheartened,it is a very good question of which i do not have a answer,i remember it got down to -13c one Feb

Posted

Can't answer you properly either, but the lowest I've recorded without snow cover was -10c in Penistone 1996 ish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It depends to a large extent on where you are. If we're talking about low, flat ground , for example somewhere like the Trent valley or the Somerset levels I would think around -12c would be possible given a lengthy cold spell, frozen ground, a clear calm night and a deep, cold air mass.

In deeply incised or upland valleys such as occur in the Peak District, the Lake District or in Wales and Scotland I'd have thought -18c would be possible under the same circumstances.

If you live somewhere like me, on an exposed windy hill top, anything below -5c without snow cover would be unusual.

I'm just theorising here and have no hard evidence to back this up, apart from at my own location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

We got a -10 about 5 years ago with no snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

2002 was an exceptionally bitter start with no snow was down to -10oC in west midlands, frost & fog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2002 was an exceptionally bitter start with no snow was down to -10oC in west midlands, frost & fog

That was the one I think. We got down to -9.9c which is practically -10c!

Posted

I can remember said cold spell in December '95 clearly (twas my last winter in Scotland before moving down south), and remember freezing fog lasting all day, maxing at -9C and recording a minimum of -19C just to the west of Edinburgh, really quite exceptional, and all in the absence of any snow whatsoever.........

WFM

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Yes, a very interesting question, TD.

Comments and photographs in Ian Currie's excellent Frosts, Freezes & Fairs suggest that parts of Jan 1880, Jan-Feb 1895, Jan 1940 & Jan 1945 might be worth investigating - there were intense frosts but little snow in most places. However, although there will undoubtedly be temperature records available, I don't know whether the snow cover (or lack of it) would be recorded.

I'll post a couple of scans from photos in the book later if I get a moment.

Ossie

Posted
Yes, a very interesting question, TD.

Comments and photographs in Ian Currie's excellent Frosts, Freezes & Fairs suggest that parts of Jan 1880, Jan-Feb 1895, Jan 1940 & Jan 1945 might be worth investigating - there were intense frosts but little snow in most places. However, although there will undoubtedly be temperature records available, I don't know whether the snow cover (or lack of it) would be recorded.

I'll post a couple of scans from photos in the book later if I get a moment.

Ossie

Thanks very much, that would be good. I have seen a picture of school children relocated from Liverpool to the Lake District skating on Grasmere in 1940. On the picture there was snow on the tops of the fells but none at valley level. Grasmere freezes fairly easily though due to its small size.

Posted

Early Jan 2002 there was actually a snowcover here, so that one doesn't count- however I remember the snowless winter 1991/2 having several nights around -8 to -10, not to mention plenty of ice days; if only it had even produced an inch or two a couple of times I'd probably rate it one of my most memorable winters for the right reasons! Also just after Christmas 1995 (the periods with snowcover that month were 6-8th, 19-22nd and 30-31st) -9 was reached without it.

http://www.alex114.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/severe.html

click on "Ultra Freeze"- pic of grass after -20 with no snow