Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

November 2008 CET

J10

Well done in November to mark forster 630, ukmoose, DR Hosking and IRON-BRU for getting the 7.0c CET figure spot on.

Over the Autumn season competition, it was a tie between mark bayley and Duncan McAlister with LadyPakal in 3rd.

In the overall Competition, there are no changes in the top 3 with AtlanticFlamethrower in 1st, sundog in 2nd and LadyPakal in 3rd.

Congratulations to all the winners and thanks to everyone who has helped with the scoring or has taken part.

Posted

Many thanks. The attention to detail under which the competition was managed was impressive as always.

The competition is just another element here that makes netweather.tv the best on the web!

Posted

:lol: Well done the top three - indeed everybody. That was fun! B)

Posted
Particular thanks must go of course to Stratos Ferric, who set up this competition in the first place.

And of course to those who set up the score lists in the thread.

Where is Stratos Ferric?

Posted
Where is Stratos Ferric?

I don't know but I hope he is well. His contributions to this site are much missed.

Incidentally last year we revised the rules of the CET competition that he set up and changed to Hadley. I guess everyone is content to stay with this for the 2008/09 competition which starts this month.

Posted
Particular thanks must go of course to Stratos Ferric, who set up this competition in the first place.

To be fair I think I just started the formalisation, and you have continued that with interest. I suspect that the competition actually originates with someone like Summer Blizzard and the "what's the CET going to be this month?" type posts that I think he initiated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer
To be fair I think I just started the formalisation, and you have continued that with interest. I suspect that the competition actually originates with someone like Summer Blizzard and the "what's the CET going to be this month?" type posts that I think he initiated.

There's a bit of a BFTP!! Are you going to start posting again?

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

....and welcome back to the magnificent obsession of the CET thread as well!

Ossie

Posted

Hurrah, I won! think thats the second time ive got it spot on this year, 22nd overall, dont like to gloat but thats pretty good considering im no meteorologits, dont understand most of the charts and base most of my guesses on instinct and odds rather than knowledge or charts, im doing better than a fair few of the experienced guys I look up too on this site!

Edited by DR Hosking

Posted
Hurrah, I won! think thats the second time ive got it spot on this year, 22nd overall, dont like to gloat but thats pretty good considering im no meteorologits, dont understand most of the charts and base most of my guesses on instinct and odds rather than knowledge or charts, im doing better than a fair few of the experienced guys I look up too on this site!

Can you do even better next year? That's the real challenge. I can't remember what the table looked like last year but I suspect there are a few repeated names on page 1.

Like you, an average error of 0.53 Celsius and a 50% monthly hit rate to within 0.2 Celsius isn't bad for a non-meteorologist. I probably could start up a weather company and sell my forecasts to the Sunday Express on the back of this victory. The honest question is, though, was this a fluke or can I post a decent score at the top of the table next year?

The year before I was pretty much nowhere. I have refined my technique though. If I can start off better than last year that would certainly be a bonus for me. Of my three punts that were over 1 Celsius or more out two came in the winter months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

SF

How the devil are you? Many enquiries have been made re your whereabouts. Will we have your company this winter?

yes I echo thanks to all those who helped make this a popular and very well run thread...good stuff

BFTP

Posted

Welcome back :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Quick question, how do I open the results table without excel???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

There is a pdf underneath it.

Hi there

The scores are also available in the PDF format, which works with Adobe Acrobat, which is free from the Adobe website.

I think there is software available from Microsoft, that also allows you to read Excel spreadsheets , without Excel, I think it called Excel viewer, or something like that.

As a special treat , here are the results form the first year of the CET competition.

Posted
Hi there

The scores are also available in the PDF format, which works with Adobe Acrobat, which is free from the Adobe website.

I think there is software available from Microsoft, that also allows you to read Excel spreadsheets , without Excel, I think it called Excel viewer, or something like that.

As a special treat , here are the results form the first year of the CET competition.

Who won last year then?

The names at the top of the seasonal ranking only entered for 1 or 2 months. Surely there was a points penalty for skipping months. If so, who was at the top of the adjusted rankings?

Posted

Great work yourself, as ever, Jackone. Not a 5 minute job putting that speadsheet together - and very rapid too! Thanks very much.

SF - how good to see you posting again. You have been missed!

Moose

Edited by ukmoose

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
Many thanks. The attention to detail under which the competition was managed was impressive as always.

The competition is just another element here that makes netweather.tv the best on the web!

Well done AF in winning the competition. I cant belive how well i did myself this year. Also well done to LP :D

Posted

If we ignore everyone with less than 10 entries, this is the result of the CET competition 2006-2007.

2006-2007 (2007-2008)

1st. Joneseye

2nd. ACBrixton (13th)

3rd. Stargazer (17th)

4th. phil n.warks.

5th. Beng (12th)

6th. JohnAcc

7th. Bottesford

8th. Osmposm 16th

9th. SteveB

10th. GlacierPoint 19th

It is noticable the accuracy this year was higher across the board. This can probably be attributed to the fact more people guess closer to the average and this year saw closer to the average temperatures.

Thanks sundog! Just pipped you. Make sure this year you enter for all 12 months... you missed 2 probably cost you the "title".

:D

Edited by AtlanticFlamethrower

Posted
SF

How the devil are you? Many enquiries have been made re your whereabouts. Will we have your company this winter?

yes I echo thanks to all those who helped make this a popular and very well run thread...good stuff

BFTP

I shall be here on and off I'm sure. Last year was more of the anomaly as I often lay low over summer.

Posted

Who let SF back on the forum. ;)

Glad to see you return. :)

There is an E,ly on tonights 18Z so get yourself on the model discussion thread and lets have an argument like the good ol days. ;)