Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

November 2008 CET

J10

Posted
To be fair I think I just started the formalisation, and you have continued that with interest. I suspect that the competition actually originates with someone like Summer Blizzard and the "what's the CET going to be this month?" type posts that I think he initiated.

:o Glad to see you are back. I thought you'd been locked up or something! :)

If we ignore everyone with less than 10 entries, this is the result of the CET competition 2006-2007.

2006-2007 (2007-2008)

1st. Joneseye

2nd. ACBrixton (13th)

3rd. Stargazer (17th)

4th. phil n.warks.

5th. Beng (12th)

6th. JohnAcc

7th. Bottesford

8th. Osmposm 16th

9th. SteveB

10th. GlacierPoint 19th

It is noticable the accuracy this year was higher across the board. This can probably be attributed to the fact more people guess closer to the average and this year saw closer to the average temperatures.

Thanks sundog! Just pipped you. Make sure this year you enter for all 12 months... you missed 2 probably cost you the "title".

:)

If you look at the comp workbook, these are the results on the spreadsheet. .

The Autumn workbook also gave the figures for the Autumnal comp.

I have posted the PDF only containing the result of the CET competition for 2007-08, and this does agree with what AFT posted earlier, Joneseye won, and he is also right that a minimum of 10 entries in a year is required for the scores to count.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Ah I'm sneaking into the top 20. Slow climb to the top. :)

Posted

I still have warm memories of the January trainwreck, or was that balloon ride? :D

Thanks to Jackone who ran a tight ship and made it lots of fun for everyone.

And welcome back, SF, don't hide your light under an inversion.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Good God, did I really manage 8th in 2006-7? So doing it on a purely statistical basis in 2007-8 (I took a figure halfway between the 1971-00 & the 10-year running means) dropped me 8 places to 16th. It's back to (scarcely understood) charts and a huge dollop of gut-feeling for me!

And yes, thank you as always J1 for all the laborious number-crunching and chart-constructing.

Ossie

Posted

Excellent, finished 11th in my first year! That with very little knowledge compared to most on this site! Either im lucky or have a good natural instinct as that is what most of my guesses are based on!

Thanks to everyone who workd on the competition and particularly the statistics for the competition, great job!

Posted

Has anyone here done this already, or would somebody like to take on the task -- how would "Mr Average" do in this? In other words, let's say you were an Average version of Craig Evans and just predicted the 1971-2000 average for every month. What place would that finish?

And then what if you foresaw January to be mild and October to be cold and added or subtracted one degree to get closer to those two months? Then how would Mr-Average-with-a-bit-of-a-Clue make out? Probably a lot better than me.

Has anyone here done this already, or would somebody like to take on the task -- how would "Mr Average" do in this? In other words, let's say you were an Average version of Craig Evans and just predicted the 1971-2000 average for every month. What place would that finish?

That's what i thought, it would be interesting to see where the averages would finish!

Edited by RAIN RAIN RAIN

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

December 2008 Statistics

Blakenhall, Cheshire

(53.02, -2.41)

Average daily maximum: 9.0º

Average daily minimum: 3.4º

MEAN TEMPERATURE: 6.2º

Highest daily maximum: 11.9º (20th)

Lowest daily maximum: -4.4º (30th)

Days 20º or above: 0

Highest daily minimum: 9.1º (14th)

Lowest daily minimum: 1.1º (30th)

Days 10º or below: 15

Days With Rain: 15

Maximum Rainfall: 14.51mm (9th)

Total Rainfall: 47.65mm

Maximum Dewpoint: 12.6º (14th)

Minimum Dewpoint: -4.77º (22nd)

Maximum Windspeed: 21st

Highest Relative Pressure: 1034mb (16th)

Lowest Relative Pressure: 986mb (24th)

NB: No temperature/pressure data available for November 10th.