Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who Has Had No Snow At All

jy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not a smodge here! We had the right temperatures and virtually the same conditions as elsewhere but nothing! As Richard Angwin told me yesterday Bristol usually does well under these circumstances but there was too much mobility in the weather system and the temperature rose far too much beforehand. Feb 8th-10th 2007 and March 12th 2006 were good examples of weather systems from the west that brought some decent snow here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
Not meaning to be pedantic here, but technically anyone can post. The question is "Who has had no snow at all", so by saying "Not me, I have had snow" is answering that question ;)

then again there are plenty of threads where people are banging on on about how much snow they have had or how many flakes they have seen..or how if you climb the nearest mountain etc etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

No lying snow up here either this winter so far... oddly.

Posted

Outer London may of had a couple of hours lying snow but I know Central London has had NO lying snow. When you mention lying snow for London I suspect you mean the Counties around London (Herts, Beds etc) ;)

Regards

Posted
Having lived in Southampton for many years I always thought of the most snowless area being a rough triangle bounded by Bournemouth, Winchester and Portsmouth, presumably corresponding to JY's "snowless Hampshire triangle". The area certainly shows up nicely as one of the few that on average gets no snow at all in December - see http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ave...12000/dl/12.gif. The only area I think might be noticeably more snow free overall would be the west of Cornwall and the Channel Islands.

Shows up even better on the snow lying in the whole of winter map: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ave...12000/dl/16.gif

Posted

nothing at all here in my part of South Wales, and very happy I am about it too.

;)

heavy snow, means no money in my pocket.

roll on GW, or even better, a pole shift that moves us towards the equator! ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.
Shows up even better on the snow lying in the whole of winter map: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ave...12000/dl/16.gif

That map is strangely re-assuring for me. I'm in a 0-5 region like many (how ironic that these are white!), and to know that is a bit like buying a lottery ticket without any false expectation! Seeing it so graphically laid out is very sobering, but (and here we go again)... it doesn't say '0' - it actually says up to 5! A small, half full glass. How's that for positivity! ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Apart from 15 mins of falling flakes on Sunday morning, we've had nothing here. Nothing last year - at all. Nowt the year before. Almost nothing the year before that ( an icing sugar dusting which disappeared in less than half an hour). In fact thinking about it, in the eleven years I've lived here, we've had laying snow just twice; once about five years ago, about 4 inches which froze solid for a couple of days and April 4th 2000, again 4-5 inches of wet soggy stuff, all gone within a few hours.

;)

I'll be so glad when my son leaves school, then we can finally move somewhere which gets a decent chance of a winter. Fours years and counting....

Had a look at that map, apparently I should get 6-7 days - hands up, who's been nicking my snow? By my reckoning I'm owed a 1947'er....can you accrue and demand a lump sum payment?

Edited by jethro

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Not a single bloody snowflake!!! ;):doh:;);):wallbash::wallbash:

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

No snow for me so far this Autunm/winter season but im hopefull that that will change later this month.

I last saw snow 11 months ago back in early Jan when i had about 3 inches.

Posted

Not a genuine flake since Nov 2005, but then again 3 year periods of snowlessness (I'm sure that can't be a real word, but you know what I mean) are the rule rather than the exception here.

Prior to that fall, I was at the local school giving a talk about weather to a class of 10-11yr olds and many of them claimed to have never seen snow. The concept of building a snow man was lost on them, which in a way seemed very sad. Driving back from the school that day, the thought hit me that they must be some of the only children in the world who live 50 deg north of the equator and really don't know what snow is like. Not sure that could happen anywhere else in the northern hemisphere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

None here in county Down as far as I have seen, however I got wind that I may have missed a short light snow shower last week and during October. So far the most I have seen is Sleet......coastal temperatures are still too high to allow for any good snowfall in my area so usually by end of December is when I see some wintriness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.

Had some in Hexham - but I am in 13-17 on the map with 18-25 on hills. Having said that a few years since a 13!

John

Posted

Completely empathise with everyone who've not seen a snausage of a flake. It helps that I haven't either! (Highish bit of Bath)

:p

Posted

Had temporary snow from the brief northerly we had nearly two weeks ago, it did get quite heavy for a time lasted nearly an hour before turning back two rain.

Posted

Thanks to the posters who replied to my previous post.Yes,as expected the usual suspects emerged.However,i was surprised by 3 Blackpool being quite far North but coastal Swansea and most of all Karen from Nottingham,that was a surprise entry to me.

So,its largely a Southwestern quadrant problem although not exclusively.The Eye in the Sky sent me an informative note regarding the demise of our snow friend the Channel Low,last year Steve Murr sent a brilliant but gloomy piece regarding confirmation of the no snow triangle in which i and many live.

As a generalisation.using my Inspector Clueseau powers of deduction i have noticed that Southerly winds are normally mild SW ditto W as recently as 2 days ago gave rain although it was cold so North although cold run out of steam so Now what?

Although NE is best probably for me for wider event is an Easterly probably our best hope,it would be nice to get your opinions.For the record,John holmes kindly gave me his opinion but i dont want you swayed by an ex professional :p

As before many thanks if you respond

Posted
This makes no sense whatsoever. ??

spelt wrong as it says but its the title that holds the clue NO snow so why did so many reply they had snow!?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

There was snow here in Tun Wells on the morning of the Sun 23rd Nov, but unfortunately I was in green Wales - so I have yet to see snow this cold season. Last snow I saw was back in early April when we had around 8cms around here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

No snow here at all so far.

Didn't even get any here last winter. Very poor for snow this area recently.

Back in the 60's 70's 80's we had a fair amount

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
Apart from 15 mins of falling flakes on Sunday morning, we've had nothing here. Nothing last year - at all. Nowt the year before. Almost nothing the year before that ( an icing sugar dusting which disappeared in less than half an hour). In fact thinking about it, in the eleven years I've lived here, we've had laying snow just twice; once about five years ago, about 4 inches which froze solid for a couple of days and April 4th 2000, again 4-5 inches of wet soggy stuff, all gone within a few hours.

:p

I'll be so glad when my son leaves school, then we can finally move somewhere which gets a decent chance of a winter. Fours years and counting....

Had a look at that map, apparently I should get 6-7 days - hands up, who's been nicking my snow? By my reckoning I'm owed a 1947'er....can you accrue and demand a lump sum payment?

I must say this year and last have been terrible so far but i remember april 4th because we had 6-8 foot snow drifts up on the mendips which took couple of weeks to melt and thats one of the best events i seen in last 10 years. lots of smaller falls before that but last 3 years ive seen only few days snow cover even at around 300m which is rare for us.

Posted

Funny how most of the 'no snow' posters are eminating from SW/W England and S Wales ...