Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Satsigs

Posted

I'd just like to point out that I went from 1 to 5 between t+144 and t+228. Ah the beauty of charts so far out of the reliable that they'll never come off.

Posted
I'd just like to point out that I went from 1 to 5 between t+144 and t+228. Ah the beauty of charts so far out of the reliable that they'll never come off.

She will tease you from afar, but when you get closer...its always a slap in the face as I've said before.

Maybe the ramp levels could be attached to numbers of people viewing the model discussion threads. Something like this:

0-50 Summer, maybe a storm on the horizon

51-70 Autumn, getting windy

71-100 Did someone mention a frost?

101-150 Ooooh a hard frost

151-200 A snow flake over the highlands

201-250 Snow possible....but only just

251-300 Getting exciting now, snow possible anywhere at any time

301 upwards It is like 1962/3 all over again

300+ Users now in model output!!!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

The Rampede tonight over the 18z snow and cold fest is uncontrolable ... I'm not sure if the SATSIGs police will be able to cope with the workload, extra recruits needed to monitor for the SE of England ... the zone of unreasonable thinking.

Posted
The Rampede tonight over the 18z snow and cold fest is uncontrolable ... I'm not sure if the SATSIGs police will be able to cope with the workload, extra recruits needed to monitor for the SE of England ... the zone of unreasonable thinking.

Problem is Nick, one of the authors of this spell is a totally respected member in the SZONT, with a DN postcode :lol: You're going to have to do some serious pming. I disagree with PP, we're now very definitely into level 4. I suspect minor downgrades tomorrow so may retreat to level 3, but if we're still similar come late Mon/Tues, level 5 may be insufficient & satsigs may have to recalibrate to a 1-10 scale :D

Dave

It think we need a new scale for SATSIGS, the current meter has been broken.

Problem is Nick, one of the authors of this spell is a totally respected member in the SZONT, with a DN postcode :lol: You're going to have to do some serious pming. I disagree with PP, we're now very definitely into level 4. I suspect minor downgrades tomorrow so may retreat to level 3, but if we're still similar come late Mon/Tues, level 5 may be insufficient & satsigs may have to recalibrate to a 1-10 scale :lol:

Dave

Oops late edit, beaten to the punchline. :lol:

Posted
Problem is Nick, one of the authors of this spell is a totally respected member in the SZONT, with a DN postcode :lol: You're going to have to do some serious pming. I disagree with PP, we're now very definitely into level 4. I suspect minor downgrades tomorrow so may retreat to level 3, but if we're still similar come late Mon/Tues, level 5 may be insufficient & satsigs may have to recalibrate to a 1-10 scale :lol:

Dave

I'm sure the SATSIGs police have accommodated for isolated pockets of resistance in the SZONT, even if they are senior forecasters eminating from the provincial towns of S Yorks. :lol:

Posted

Good God! I haven't seen anything like this since the build up to the infamous 'failed easterly' of early 2006. A touch of anti-Athenian jingoism from Bexleyheath; shameless ramping from Kent (even from a 'Senior Forecaster'- think of the impressionable younger members); from the Fens (predictably) it is now a question of 'not if but when'...how long before we are assured that "this easterly is now set in stone"? It can only be a matter of time before Cork, Bude, Luton and Weymouth start to declare snow depth predictions for the week after next.

All credit to the Palatinate of Durham for alluding to the well known tendency of the 18z run to "like a drink". Strangely enough I have not seen the term 'Pub Run' today...

No reports yet linking the models' predictions for 10 days' time to the death of AGW theory.

Regards

ACB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

For those who grew up during the late 70's and early to mid 80's, may I suggest you dig out your Blue Peter sledge instructions and get building...the day after tomorrow is coming, look out, there's a falling helicopter from the blizzard of fury. Get yourself down the supermarket lads and lasses and get stocked up on beans, soup and teabags coz its gonna be a lock and load winter of old right through to March, when snow showers will fall into April. Hats are you ready!? Scarves are you ready!? Snow chains are you ready!? 3...........2...........1...........Dusty Bin is back in town... :lol:

Warning: GFS and ECMWF may be harmful to those who witnessed old skool winters, especially those who have been deprived for almost 20 years and are longing to feed the global warming scare mongerers to the dogs.

Edited by Fitzwis

Posted

This has got to be the biggest ramping since what would have been, if the internet was around the December 1995 event. Certainly lagging the models servers up, Metoffice won't be happy when they prepare their forecast and all that comes up is a white screen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

Damn BT and all the cable cos. for burying the phone lines. They're spoiling things for those of us who want to go out to the pub and feel our way home on top of the snow drifts using the telephone cables... :)

Posted
This has got to be the biggest ramping since what would have been, if the internet was around the December 1995 event. Certainly lagging the models servers up, Metoffice won't be happy when they prepare their forecast and all that comes up is a white screen.

I think we tend to have short memories. There was a much better event than this three or four years ago. As late as the 23rd/24th Dec GFS had a major system tracking south in a NE'ly flow right across the UK on the 26th. That was, in snowfall terms, far more potent than anything on these current charts, and much closer at hand - firmly within the outer marker for reliability, and pretty much at the inner marker: that one didn't land!

Posted
I think we tend to have short memories. There was a much better event than this three or four years ago. As late as the 23rd/24th Dec GFS had a major system tracking south in a NE'ly flow right across the UK on the 26th. That was, in snowfall terms, far more potent than anything on these current charts, and much closer at hand - firmly within the outer marker for reliability, and pretty much at the inner marker: that one didn't land!

Ah, but since then, much thicker ear muffs and considerably darker glasses are worn by all rampers south of Grampian. The SATSIGS police have been unable to cut off the supply. Definitely still at level 3 and heading upwards.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
RAMP level 2: medium excitement. Tends to relate to larger events being just over the reliable boundary, but being discussed as if nailed."We're going to get a lorry load..." and "-10C for sure" type of thing when it's still the middle of September. Calling a white christmas at more than ten days would certainly fall into this category.

Level 2 - too far away.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

There is some very serious ramping going on now, it's just getting silly. We're hitting new heights with the rampometer, the situation is getting out of hand!

Posted
Awful quiet in 'ere. :)

That's because as predicted, we're now back to a general level 3. Irish moodswings in particular are now receeding to 2 as we speak. There is a large dose of Cornish wet blankets heading in & rampage has had to be restrained until after t300.

SATSIGS is a level headed bunch & maybe we're staying silent as there's nothing to say. Doesn't mean we're not vigilant though ;)

Posted

SATSIGS alert. Level 3 ramping.

SATSIGs sensors suggest sporadic L3 ramping from the new centre of rampdom, Hertford, as well as some lighter aftershocks from the North Yorkshire connurbation.