Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Satsigs

Posted

Greetings from West Norfolk.

I have some sad news to start with. As long time members of SATSIGS will know apart from my weather rod and Keith Chegwin my main source of forecasting knowledge was the local radio station Fen FM. (106.7 The sound of Wisbech). Due to financial difficulties Fen FM was shut down earlier in the year :D

I am now relying on Radio Norfolk which so far has been very disapointing. This morning the eager DJ asked the weather guy about the newspaper reports of an oncoming "Siberian Blast". The weather man dismisssed this as nonsence and said it'll just be cold for the next week...very disapointing and wouldn't have happened on Fen FM. Hopefully Cheggers won't let me down and I'll be able to give you better news for my next update.

Kind Regards

JJB

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
SATSIGS alert. Level 3 ramping.

SATSIGs sensors suggest sporadic L3 ramping from the new centre of rampdom, Hertford, as well as some lighter aftershocks from the North Yorkshire connurbation.

Conurbation :)

Shame people don't get a classical education these days :rolleyes:

Posted

I would like to request the consideration for an investigation into the possibility of forming a comittee to comission a feasibility study for the generation of a new SATSIGS zone called the ZOSIIC. No, not the Zone of Southern Idiots In Corsets but the Zone of Snowwatch-esque Inane and Irrelevant Chatter.

I would make no suggestion as for potential candidates to deliniate said zone - this is in order to preserve the integrity of my otherwise *ahem* unblemished character.

In fact this may be more suited to a measuring instrument rather than a zone but I'm unable to adapt my rampometer since the needle snapped off by going off-scale high just recently. I would requisition another rampometer but my distinct dislike of hotpot, whippets and Emmerdale farm mean I am unable to transit into the ZOSNT to hand in the requisition slip.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
:crazy: this is my corner? :oops:

Posted
:crazy: this is my corner? :oops:

I think it's actually Mr Brown's Prudence & we know what happened to her, so as you seem to fit the bill, why not :lol:

Posted

Tonight's prize for ramping goes to the GFS model.

RAMP ALERT: Satsigs Level 3.

...GFS has clearly been taken over by Conor123 given that the 18z run is projecting a mean temperature for the Marches of about -8C right across FIland...

Conurbation :oops:

Shame people don't get a classical education these days :crazy:

Shouldn't you have been in bed about three hours ago?

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
Because the cold front is so slow moving some places would see nearly 12hrs snowfall along the front.
BLIZZARD ALERT BLIZZARD ALERT

Get the shovels out - SUNDAY 4th and MONDAY 5th JANUARY - 12 hours of snow from everyone south of SCOTLAND - I read this from these fabulous charts - only 7 days to go

AMAZING but pure Beauty

Ramp emanating out of Peterborough has slid all the way across the Irish Sea.

I think it's actually Mr Brown's Prudence & we know what happened to her, so as you seem to fit the bill, why not :crazy:

What happened to Mr(s) Brown? Squashed by an out of control ramp?

Shouldn't you have been in bed about three hours ago?

Nah, too busy out terrorizing the citizens of Harroknareborogate-On-Tyne.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
Ramp emanating out of Peterborough has slid all the way across the Irish Sea.

What happened to Mr(s) Brown? Squashed by an out of control ramp?

Nah, too busy out terrorizing the citizens of Harroknareborogate-On-Tyne.

The fragrant Sarah is on the whining thread as we speak, but she doesn't seem to be talking about the weather :crazy:

Posted

Whilst there's a slight lull, a bit of a leak from SATSIGS HQ - some early snippits from a review of the model thread...

Hopecaster's axiom

The GEM is better than the GFS at picking long term trends for cold, unless the GFS is showing cold and the GEM isn't, in which case, suddenly and remarkably, some right hemispheric cooling occurs and the masses jump aboard good ship GFS.

The cold conundrum

The distance to the inner marker for FI is in direct proportion to the ratio of cold now:warm future. If it's cold in FI then FI is good and the boundary is probably about 384 hrs, particularly if it's on GEM but not GFS. If it's cold now, but not in FI, then FI starts as soon as the mild is projected to arrive.

EITS's rule

If there's an easterly anywhere on the models, someone in Peterborough will see it.

EITS's rule

If there isn't an easterly in the models, they are wrong.

The Abingdon truism

It never snows in Abingdon, it always nos. The no is often very heavy.

The rule of North Sea convection

It WILL snow! It will!

PIT's principle

If it can go wrong, it will.

The rule of the end of the M54.

It's sleeting.

Posted

Now, what I don't understand about any of this is why the models don't give us what we want. We pay for the bodies that generate these models through our taxes (for those of us who pay tax of course) so surely we are entitled to expect value for money? From what I can see, the models are the ones to blame for the non-appearance of any cold, so I wonder who we complain to?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

The 18z GFS rule

If it ain't showing what we want (cold) - it's the pub run, it's been on 12 pints of Nelson Mandela = let's bin it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
The 18z GFS rule

If it ain't showing what we want (cold) - it's the pub run, it's been on 12 pints of Nelson Mandela = let's bin it!

Is that cockney for Stella? Sorry, other side of the UK, not very good at them... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Does the forum still possess that wondeful list of wontry definitions that everyone contributed to, forming a wonter dictionary of sorts ?

Featuring classics such as: no; siberian hi[pe]; snowcasting; snow mis-mesuring etc..

A good laugh.

Posted
Is that cockney for Stella? Sorry, other side of the UK, not very good at them... :)

Indeed, or Uri Geller ...

Can't stand the stuff though, I'm a real ale man myself.

Posted
Does the forum still possess that wondeful list of wontry definitions that everyone contributed to, forming a wonter dictionary of sorts ?

Featuring classics such as: no; siberian hi[pe]; snowcasting; snow mis-mesuring etc..

A good laugh.

That was a classic thread. I recall that Shuggs kept a copy, I may have a copy of that copy somewhere - will check later.

Posted

Looks like an upcoming journey may be obstructed by a line of sleetmen around the Shropshire/Staffordshire border.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

A good laugh.

Is this the one you mean?

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...t=0&start=0

Posted
Now, what I don't understand about any of this is why the models don't give us what we want. We pay for the bodies that generate these models through our taxes (for those of us who pay tax of course) so surely we are entitled to expect value for money? From what I can see, the models are the ones to blame for the non-appearance of any cold, so I wonder who we complain to?

You need to find the Kenny Everett sketch featuring Jack Scott.

Posted

A good laugh.

It's safely tucked in the archive:

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=34242

:)

It could make a re-appearance for some additions now that we have new fangled things to talk about this year...

Posted
Whilst there's a slight lull, a bit of a leak from SATSIGS HQ - some early snippits from a review of the model thread...

The rule of North Sea convection

It WILL snow! It will!

To which one might add a tendency to believe in the fabled 'Thames Streamer'; our very own 'Lake Effect'.

I well remember the confident forecast from Bexleyheath on 27/12/05 for heavy snow showers in Greater London that day due to the TS (apparently unbeknown to us all the wind was not in the right direction...).

regards

ACB

Posted
It's safely tucked in the archive:

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=34242

:)

It could make a re-appearance for some additions now that we have new fangled things to talk about this year...

Well done Shuggs, ten minutes chuckling reviewing that lot. It's not hard to see which ones emanated from the NW tip of the MZSNT.

I think we can now add retroguessing to the list...the art of disguising rampant but unfounded projections for surface systems to move back W against the prevailing flow - particularly when this would lead to a Beasterly developing - as if based in scientific reason. Almost invariably followed by widespread no.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Is a 'short-wave feature' something that only stays on the charts for one run at a time...just long enough for rampers to wave goodbye? :)

Posted

SATSIGS RAMP ALERT

Level 3 RAMP

Moderate to heavy ramping ongoing in Kent...may lead to upto 6cm of disappointment. Vigilance is advisable for anyone having to venture out in the SE.