Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Uk's Coldest City

NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
That's true of the whole of the UK, these days they only show a few major places which is a shame because frankly the temperature in Manchester and Newcastle is not very indicative of what it is here. I much preferred the old graphics even if they were less modern-looking.

Also annoying is when they put the four day outlook for Edinburgh, Cardiff, Belfast and London. Which should I look at?

I agree with this 110%, I don't understand how the BBC can put graphics on their website and tv forecasts that are totally wrong, this weekend in Aviemore being a perfect example, although to be fair they have now totally changed the minima on the 5 dayer for Aviemore. Their forecasts on tv basically give no clue for anyone living outside of a city what the temperature will be at night, which isn't fair really, I want to know. They have taken most of what was good out of their TV forecasts, I used to like the old league tables they showed after a cold night with the lowest minima from around the country.

Couldn't really be any further off topic I know!!

It is an issue that needs to be addressed without a doubt.

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

Perhaps another area/reason where NW could "hi-jack" and go alone. Most aren't interested in a major city TV forecast. But, a good, detailed (outwith the capital cities) forecast [on TV] could be a good 'un!

Posted
Perhaps another area/reason where NW could "hi-jack" and go alone. Most aren't interested in a major city TV forecast. But, a good, detailed (outwith the capital cities) forecast [on TV] could be a good 'un!

Thats why I rather watch the local forecasts on Look North than the national forecasts if I'm interested in what the BBC forecasters predict for regional temps.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Good idea. Why don't we get Stratos to present it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Interesting thread.......I cant believe though, that the obvious answer hasnt been stated........Manchester is the coldest city....After all, my ex-wife lives there, and goddamn!.... she's frigid!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Oh no she's not.

Thats where you got your frost bite from

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Been rather bored at work this morning and as all was quiet have been googling for city temp data for the Winter months.

Checked individual cities data, Met O, MSN, search sites etc and came up a load of temps. They did vary as based on different time scales [71-800, 971-2000, 2000 onwards and some undefined]. However the order of cold was pretty much unchanged. I was surprised to seen Middlesborough shown as just colder than Durham and even more surprised to see that Oxford[does tend to get frost], Nottingham[fractionally the lowest] and Stoke were slightly lower than all the Northern English cities in most of the measurements. I may have missed some records by not knowing whether they were cities and I discounted Western and Southern coastal cities.

The four main Scottish cities were all slightly colder with again a surprise first place: Edinburgh just from Aberdeen, Dundee and Glasgow. Someone earlier in the thread did say that Edinburgh was coldest I think but can't be bothered going back through it all to see. I assume that is because Aberdeen can be warmer in zonal weather and gets the fohn effect in warm sectors with a SW wind but if the readings came from Dyce it is higher than the others. It certainly felt cold enough at times when I worked up there. Unfortunately could not get an average for Inverness but daily maxes were almost identical to the other 4 Scottish cities. Unable to find anything definate for Stirling though.

The coldest individual record for a city measurement I could find was the -20C in Glasgow in late Dec 1995 beating an earlier -19.3C for Aberdeen. Couldn't find anything colder though there may be a record somehere. Anyone?

Perth, unfortunately not classed as a city earlier in the thread, has been a couple of degrees colder and has on at least one occasion had the cold UK temp for the year.

Anyway off to the pub soon for lunch so Happy New Year to all. <_<

Posted

Hello !!!! from a very chilly Village on the east coast of Scotland :D:) :lol:

Hey Yeti !!! My village football team Dundee United have played in a UEFA cup Final

and Played in a European Cup Semi-Final !!!!

Not too shabby for a village footie team :)

A Very Guid New Year to all from A Baltic Dundee !! :D

Posted
Been rather bored at work this morning and as all was quiet have been googling for city temp data for the Winter months.

Checked individual cities data, Met O, MSN, search sites etc and came up a load of temps. They did vary as based on different time scales [71-800, 971-2000, 2000 onwards and some undefined]. However the order of cold was pretty much unchanged. I was surprised to seen Middlesborough shown as just colder than Durham and even more surprised to see that Oxford[does tend to get frost], Nottingham[fractionally the lowest] and Stoke were slightly lower than all the Northern English cities in most of the measurements. I may have missed some records by not knowing whether they were cities and I discounted Western and Southern coastal cities.

The four main Scottish cities were all slightly colder with again a surprise first place: Edinburgh just from Aberdeen, Dundee and Glasgow. Someone earlier in the thread did say that Edinburgh was coldest I think but can't be bothered going back through it all to see. I assume that is because Aberdeen can be warmer in zonal weather and gets the fohn effect in warm sectors with a SW wind but if the readings came from Dyce it is higher than the others. It certainly felt cold enough at times when I worked up there. Unfortunately could not get an average for Inverness but daily maxes were almost identical to the other 4 Scottish cities. Unable to find anything definate for Stirling though.

The coldest individual record for a city measurement I could find was the -20C in Glasgow in late Dec 1995 beating an earlier -19.3C for Aberdeen. Couldn't find anything colder though there may be a record somehere. Anyone?

Perth, unfortunately not classed as a city earlier in the thread, has been a couple of degrees colder and has on at least one occasion had the cold UK temp for the year.

Anyway off to the pub soon for lunch so Happy New Year to all. :D

I very much doubt that cities in southern England are colder on average than those up north in the longterm mean.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
I was surprised to seen Middlesborough shown as just colder than Durham and even more surprised to see that Oxford[does tend to get frost], Nottingham[fractionally the lowest] and Stoke were slightly lower than all the Northern English cities in most of the measurements.

Struggles to get any frosts at all these days. Must be old data, or perhaps they are using Benson data (an infamous frost hollow about 12 miles away) and labelling it 'Oxford'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
I very much doubt that cities in southern England are colder on average than those up north in the longterm mean.

Sorry, only going by what I found today. Oxford very central and Nottingham & Stoke both well inland, North Mids. so possible I suppose. Need someone to come up with official figures for a definative answer.

Hi to Polarlow from Dundee. What was the score last time your village team played against mine? [Also unbeaten at home in European competition :D . ] Again Happy New Year to all. Must admit had a few beers today already so sorry if wondered off topic.

Cheers

Nor.

Posted
Hello !!!! from a very chilly Village on the east coast of Scotland :D:) :lol:

Hey Yeti !!! My village football team Dundee United have played in a UEFA cup Final

and Played in a European Cup Semi-Final !!!!

Not too shabby for a village footie team :)

A Very Guid New Year to all from A Baltic Dundee !! :D

:D:) :lol:

Leeds must have just been downgraded to a village then! Used to be in premiership, now out of sight! :lol:

Happy new year to all! I'm off out soon to celebrate :D