Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The New Year Big Chill: Temperatures Set To Plummet To -13c As Siberian Cold Front Takes Hold

Cheese Rice

Posted

Well its about time a newspaper caught on with the cold spell :D:D:D:D:):)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...takes-hold.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

This news story comes out every year and never materializes

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Their headlines might come off this time though. Thought it wouldn't be long before the media caught a whiff of the potential that MetO have been hinting at.

Posted
That would see sleet and snow in northern and eastern areas and temperatures as low as minus 13C overnight

Eh, where exactly in Northern and Eastern areas?

I loathe this type of reporting/forecasting when a huge area is mentioned, with no firm detail included.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

oh no :D hope nobody i know gets the daily mail trouble is they believe those stories, especially the express

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
This news story comes out every year and never materializes

I think we all know who the source normally is !! Mr Corbyn - enough said !!

This article is printed in the press this time as a result of a quote from the Meto themselves. The evolution is now fairly consistant in all the major models and the change set to appear in the next few days. I think its fair enough to warn the public. If they werent warned and for eg with the cold - major snow arrived, i think the elderly and vulnerable would be caught out big time and at threat from the cold.

Posted
I think we all know who the source normally is !! Mr Corbyn - enough said !!

This article is printed in the press this time as a result of a quote from the Meto themselves. The evolution is now fairly consistant in all the major models and the change set to appear in the next few days. I think its fair enough to warn the public. If they werent warned and for eg with the cold - major snow arrived, i think the elderly and vulnerable would be caught out big time and at threat from the cold.

As things sit we're a long way from a major snow event, and things might get cold, but away form places where the temperature needs little encouragement to drop to -13 (Eskdalemuir, Aboyne, Loch Glascarnoch, Braemar...) I don't think we'll be seeing things that cold. The evolution would need to progress significantly from where it is now for this to change.

Posted

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7802472.stm

Temperatures in the UK could even plunge to -8C overnight over the next fortnight.

Had these temps already, as have many on here, was never newsworthy then. Pfft!

He said: "On Tuesday there will be fog patches in the morning but they will lift slowly, leaving most places dry with sunny periods.

Where is most places?

The temperature for London on 31 December is predicted at 0C, while in Edinburgh it will be about -1C.

"about -1C"?

He blamed the cold weather on different changing wind directions but said there will be some sunny spells.

Lovely. That's something you don't hear mentioned in the Shipping Forecast.."sunny spells"

*The above is tongue in cheek incase somebody (without an ounce of humour) replies

Posted

Daily Telegraph has caught on as well, basically saying similar to what the Daily Mail has said (obviously throuth the METO). Didn't say anything about major snow though, but did mention that temperatures could get into the 'very cold' catergory and that there could be some days where temps did not get above freezing, also an indicator that there was the potential for the weather to become 'very cold' towards the end of the next fortnight? - not sure where they got this information from as models usually go out to a fortnight.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Oh dear some red faces coming up me thinks.