Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Science Museum

RossH

Posted

Just got one of these for my Christmas... I am looking forward to recording my results. Been ploughing through previous threads looking for tips and advice on where is best to locate my outside probe. Away from the main house a few metres of the ground seems most favourable.

Anyone else get a new weather related gadget for Christmas?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I got one of these too, mines all set up. You don't need to use your temp probe unless we are in extreme temp values -20c and below or +30c and above, so I just place my little sensor box in a dry place with full exposure to wind, thus my temperature reading gives a small influence on wind too.

Have to say though the pressure reading is confusing in that if the outside sensor only gives Temperature readings then where is the Pressure reading taken from, and how does the conditions change if no real pressure reading is taken. The humidity reading is a bummer too, it only gives indoor humidity rather than outdoor.

Edited by The watcher

Posted

I thought it would be safer if I kept the sensor in the shed with the probe hanging out through the door. That way the digital display does not get weathered.

Can you explain what the baromic table things are all about? I guess it is predicting what it will be for the next 5 hours ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

The bars indicate inHg (you can see the reading on left) which is inches of mercury, its a formula used to calculate the change in pressure by how mercury expands and shrinks (ie +0.06 inches = +2hPa. The readings on the opposite side depict hPa (Hectopascals), which is basically pressure. The bars therefore show the pattern in which Pressure has changed in the last 12 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I think I'm using the same station, 433mhz wireless?......I must admit, its been fun trying to calibrate it!....Currently showing a temp of -4.5C which I know is incorrect (the probe is attached to part of the washing line in permanent shade, and all local weather stations are showing temps no lower than -1.6C) I'm also a bit confused with abolsute/relative air pressures...absolute is reading 1016mb, but I've calibrated relative pressure in-line with local weather stations (1031mb's)....Also, lastly, is there any way the 'science museum' station can be set up to have data fed directly to a PC?