Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Todays Weather And General Weather Chat

MAF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well nothing but rain here now frozen solid and icy. Not a sniff of snow and now looks like we're going to be sitting on the mild side of the High pressure!! no snow prospects for the forseeable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Hi SP,

Even my dew point and wet bulb temps were Zero.

Must ask John Holmes to explain. Totally puzzled.

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

Heavy snow shower now arrived here. I can't see it lasting very long though as the radar shows a weakening area moving across Sussex

Posted

Woke up to a smuttering of snow and nice and wintery.

Started to melt just a bit and was assured by the radio, that sunny skies were the order of the day for this afternoon.

Has got quite dark and is currently snowing again, didnt expect this here on the sussex coast !!

Whats happening ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Very weak sunshine is breaking through, temperature has now dropped to -0.2c, I think this snow could last for 2 or 3 days, even out of the shade.

Posted

I just wonder if Halton is going to see any of this snow period.

current conditions:

Sky conditions : Fair (Clear at the moment with a few passing clouds every so often)

Temp -1.6C last recorded at 930am (temp has been dropping off since 5am)

Humidity: 80%

Wind Speed: 19 KMH

Wind Direction: ENE

Barometer: 1025 mb

Dewpoint: -2°C

Heat Index: 0°C

Wind Chill: -4°C

Visibility:11 km

Conditions last yesterday: light rain, turned to very very light snow around 2pm lasted about 10 mins if that, precipitation stopped, last night temps dropped to around -2C with very much similar conditions as above..around midnight 1am light drizzle, I think it must have turned to ice rain (drizzle) road this morning was white with ice, roof tops not a sign of frost or ice...then it has cleared up considerably. Now we have clear ish skies and really nothing to suggest it will re cloud over and give snow..conditions are perfect currently for snow..so where is it? lol

Edited by sasquatchman

Posted
i got ignored last time, so ill ask again. what temperature do you need for a thaw?

Would have thought around 1C but i think it depends on whether its still snowing or not and how heavy..but still I think its 1C

Posted
Would have thought around 1C but i think it depends on whether its still snowing or not and how heavy..but still I think its 1C

i think it'll be gone by afternoon then in the midlands :lol:

Posted

Steady snowfall, heavy at times here and clouds dark

pity it didnt come about 4 hours earlier as the initial dusting was thawing, so not settling too well...but guess today just goes to show the doom mongering about how bad this cold spell was with no snow was misplaced :lol:

Posted

Woke up to a small hint of snow in Reading (hardly enough to call a dusting) - here at work up the hill in Basingstoke we've had light snow on and off all morning with about 1-2cm accumulated in the car park.

Posted
i think it'll be gone by afternoon then in the midlands :lol:

I doubt it. We are used to having our best snowfalls late Feb, March or April, when the sun is gaining strength. At the start of Jan the sun is very weak and very low. When the temperatures are above freezing I think snow will normally start to thaw. But the sun is low and daylight hours are short at this time of year, I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of the snow lasted until Wednesday or maybe even Thursday. Temperatures are expected to drop away very sharply tonight too.

Posted
I doubt it. We are used to having our best snowfalls late Feb, March or April, when the sun is gaining strength. At the start of Jan the sun is very weak and very low. When the temperatures are above freezing I think snow will normally start to thaw. But the sun is low and daylight hours are short at this time of year, I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of the snow lasted until Wednesday or maybe even Thursday. Temperatures are expected to drop away very sharply tonight too.

good point, but the clouds are retreating now, and i fear the sun will be out all day to wipe away a good swathe. tomorrow would have been better with temperatures barely set to rise above freezing.

Posted

i really hate high pressure when its stuck over scandinavia..for some unknown reason the liverpool/halton and north cheshire areas have been completely void of anything approaching snow this winter..sure a few tiny flakes that amounted to not even a dusting..it was too wet. There is something very strange and wrong about these weather patterns of late. Infact the only north westerly I can remember happened at the very start of December but it produced nothing because of the warm atlantic air / water modifying the temps badly. But this time around with blocking over greenland and scandinavia..i would have thought this was meant to be the ideal situation for northerlies?

Posted
good point, but the clouds are retreating now, and i fear the sun will be out all day to wipe away a good swathe. tomorrow would have been better with temperatures barely set to rise above freezing.

The sun is now shining without a cloud in the sky and the temperature is struggling to reach 0.5c. We will see some snow melt yes but not a great deal I don't think. But there will be next to nothing melting tomorrow with another potential ice day. I don't think I can ever remember a cold spell lasting this long!

Also, going by the Met Office satellite we could see some cloud coming in so that will help things.

Edited by nick2702

Posted
Steady snowfall, heavy at times here and clouds dark

pity it didnt come about 4 hours earlier as the initial dusting was thawing, so not settling too well...but guess today just goes to show the doom mongering about how bad this cold spell was with no snow was misplaced :lol:

My reply to that is you cant blame people who live in snowless areas like myself on the central south coast who overnight had a pathetic light drizzly rainfall.In fact i have a son of 23 who in his lifetime has never seen more than an inch of snow here in bournemouth. My point is for weeks now so called weather experts have been predicting a winter similar to 62\63 and posting silly charts pulled from the depths of space. Charts i may add that never ever come to fruition and then when the final outcome is always zilch they tell people to just enjoy what we have. One senior forecaster who posts such charts regularly then had the arrogance to say if you dont like the freezing cold without snow then do as he does and go skiing. Well i for one cant afford that luxury as i believe many others on here cant, and i wonder when he is hoping for a record number of ice days does he ever give a thought to millions of old aged people who can ill afford to pay the heating bills.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Was 1.2C and lovely (weak) sunshine, but the temps dropped to 1.0C and it's started snowing again lightly... I thought the pink patch on NWExtra would miss us until I noticed the wind's changed from NN/W last night to EN/E. Excellent! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

News 24 forecast half an hour ago said that the wind will turn into the west for Scotland and will remain there all week. Guess the writing's on the wall for our cold spell now. Have to say we have experienced a lot colder temps here in the past - (east central.) Nothing to write home about really. Perhaps there will be another colder shot in the not too distant future.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Dry with sunny intervals after overnight powdery snow which has given a mean depth of 4.9cm.

Temp' is -0.5c. Wind 20 mph NE.

Posted

Bright sunshine and blue skies. Very icy start this morning.

Current temperature 4.2ºc

Feels like 4.2ºc

Dew point 0.0ºc

Humidity 74$

Pressure 1025.9mb

Average windspeed 0.7mph

Maximum gust speed 4.5mph

Rainfall last 24 hours 2.1mm

Posted
News 24 forecast half an hour ago said that the wind will turn into the west for Scotland and will remain there all week. Guess the writing's on the wall for our cold spell now. Have to say we have experienced a lot colder temps here in the past - (east central.) Nothing to write home about really. Perhaps there will be another colder shot in the not too distant future.

There has been some interesting low maxima, but overall min temperatures have been nothing out of the ordinary for a cold spell in winter. The lack of any real low temps must be in part due to lack a decent covering of snow. If the condtions that prevailed last week over Scotland had occurred with a good covering of snow min would probably been significantly lower -15C/-20C.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Edited by Tucco

• European State of the Climate 2023 - Widespread flooding and severe heatwaves

The annual ESOTC is a key evidence report about European climate and past weather. High temperatures, heatwaves, wildfires, torrential rain and flooding, data and insight from 2023, Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Chilly with an increasing risk of frost

Once Monday's band of rain fades, the next few days will be drier. However, it will feel cool, even cold, in the breeze or under gloomy skies, with an increasing risk of frost. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dubai Floods: Another Warning Sign for Desert Regions?

The flooding in the Middle East desert city of Dubai earlier in the week followed record-breaking rainfall. It doesn't rain very often here like other desert areas, but like the deadly floods in Libya last year showed, these rain events are likely becoming more extreme due to global warming. View the full blog here

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 2