Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How Would Your Car(s) Fare In Very Snowy Conditions

Posted
We used to have a big Defender (while we were building a house) which I loved (actually felt quite tearful when we sold it to get a camper van). It was starry in snow and managed a 1:5 hill with ease in 6" snow, my husband to be came down to see us in Sussex in it and take us out food shopping when we'd been nearly snowed in for a couple of days (our car couldn't do the hill if someone had got stuck).

We have a Freelander (automatic) now and it's pretty ok, but the best of all in snow is our SORN Series III Landy got nice narrow tires which slice through it like a knife through butter. Of course we won't be able to afford to have any Landy's if they bring in the £400 VED... all very well for townies, but what about country people who depend on them — look out into lane this morning, no-one's gritted it for 2 or 3 miles and it's an ice rink with a layer of snow on top.

Your S3 Defender will be pre-2001, so not £400.

I've got "Snow Socks" for my Saab, which I hope to have to try out tomorrow...!

Posted

It's not so much the car - but how you drive in snow that's the trick from getting from A to B. I've seen an awful lot of cars come off snowy roads because the drivers weren't adjusting their driving habits to the conditions. If you're not used to driving in snow I'd stay at home :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
It's not so much the car - but how you drive in snow that's the trick from getting from A to B. I've seen an awful lot of cars come off snowy roads because the drivers weren't adjusting their driving habits to the conditions. If you're not used to driving in snow I'd stay at home :mellow:

Very true almac good advice :lol:

Posted
Well I must congratulate you then Albion Snowman! Or should I call you the Stig??? Some say he is half man half monkey :D

:D But all we know is he's called the Stig! (Or Ben Collins in light of recent events!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
i bus to work, so i very doubt ill be going anywhere tomorrow :)

Imagine if they had buses with tanks tracks on them. That would be immense :)