Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Todays Weather And General Chat

MAF

Posted
We have had some heavy snow falls here in oxford this afternoon. Started around 11am been on and off since then. Not setteling but good fun either way. I find it interesting that neither the bbc or netweather has mentioned it.

Probably crystallized freezing fog, or 'faux snow' :D as it gets referred to by some, as happened here earlier. I'd say it's virtually impossible to forecast.

Currently freezing fog, very frosty/rimey, -2.9c :) !

Posted

I dont wish to sound rude, but there were some very big "Snow Flakes" how can that be called "faux snow"? Im just sorry I diddnt have my camera with me! I never have it the right time when this kind of stuff happens.

Posted
Clear and frosty last night but temps rose and no frost this morning

Been mixed with sun and cloud in Leeds this morning feeling quite nice when the sun was out

Now gone foggy and temps below 3c

Ian

I have just realized I haven't had to defrost the car once for frost this cold spell, only when Sunday night's "RAIN" froze.

Silly cold temps but no de-icing?????

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

The temperature peaked at 2c early this afternoon under an overcast sky, the sun came out around half and hour ago and the temperature has fallen back to 1.2c with ground frost developing and fingers of ice re-forming on the pond. The Dew point is -1.6c

Paul

Edited by Polar Continental

Posted

It's been a chilly day, the fog lifted by about noon with sun shining down on the beautifully icy trees and everything, it was like a winter wonderland (without snow but a very thick frost). It's currently -0.4c, a high of 0.4c today and a low last night of -4.7c. There's some high cloud about but I wouldn't be surprised to see the fog return soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Max today was 1.7°C unusually at 10.30am and has very slowly dropped through the day down to 0.4°C atm, weatherwise cloudy and dull.

Posted

Not much change in weather here, fog has lifted to mist and the vis is around 2000m/3000m.

Variable cloud around 200/400 ft.

Temp, is still -3c. Another Ice Day.

Would not be surprised if the fog comes back later.

Interesting to read about the snow around Oxford and North Oxon. Must be the height.

Posted

I woke to a winter wonderland this morning. Temp at -3C. Think we had snow along with a very hard frost. I may be wrong and am happy to stand corrected. I've got some pics and maybe it will help you to draw your own conclusions:

post-2292-1231516805_thumb.jpg

post-2292-1231516819_thumb.jpg

post-2292-1231516832_thumb.jpg

post-2292-1231516848_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Clear skies here now, it's going to be a cold night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Fog has persisted all day for second day in a row in Ipswich. Lifted for all of an hour to mist, but been dense fog since. Also a second ice day in a row, tonight is gonna be very cold indeed. -1oC top temp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Clear skies! I remember those... we might even get a frost but I'm not banking on it... Now 1.9c falling fast.

Posted

Any chance of the cloud shifting down this way sometime soon? It's done a good job at keeping those temps down at -2C all day, but it'll need to clear for tonight's predicted severe frost.

Posted

Castlebay Isle Of Barra

Outdoor temp 7c

Outdoor humidity 91%

Pressure 1012mb

Wind direction South

Wind speed 35mph

Gust 51mph

Highest gust today so far 52mph

Cloud Height 641ft

Wet Bulb 6c

Rain in last 24hours 0.0mm

Total rainfall This Month 20.1mm

Dew Point 5.4c

Wind Chill -5c

Weather Partly cloudy dry dull sun trying to get through

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

The first south coast 'ice-day' I can remember for many a year. Nearest official recording station at Shoreham-by-Sea (Sussex) didn't rise about -1.5c.

Posted

Skies cleared this afternoon after an overcast start, but coupled with the sun going down, it is now rather chilly outside (probably somewhere between +1oC and -1oC).

Looking potentially like an ice day here tomorrow.

Edited by Shiny_Bottom_1

Posted

The freezing fog never cleared, there's a magnificent hoar frost, and I think we're heading for our first ice day since I moved to Reading in 2002. Unfortunately I don't think I've reset my max/min thermometer at home since yesterday evening (when the temperature was still above freezing) so I may never know for sure. :D

Posted
I woke to a winter wonderland this morning. Temp at -3C. Think we had snow along with a very hard frost. I may be wrong and am happy to stand corrected. I've got some pics and maybe it will help you to draw your own conclusions:

Difficult to tell from the pictures. Might just be a very thick rime / hoar frost. Very pretty though :D

Posted
The first south coast 'ice-day' I can remember for many a year. Nearest official recording station at Shoreham-by-Sea (Sussex) didn't rise about -1.5c.

Saw that one SMM. The fog is closing in here in Burgess Hill and that should make for an interesting drive home combined with the icy back roads. :D

Plenty of fog here in Soham, Cambs. all day and subsequently very cold.

Really just popped on to say about the odd snow report - we had snow at home in Haverhill, Suffolk this morning together with the impressive frost. The snow was coming through the fog, so I don't know if it is technically snow, but for sure there were flakes and they settled very readily.

Posted

-4.6c here already at 5pm.

Didn't expect it to be so cold here today... didn't get above freezing. The trees look fantastic -- a real winter wonderland.

Posted

I thought it was supposed to be getting warmer! Didn't get above freezing here today in the shade, with the frost staying all day. 12 miles south of Bristol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Coldest day of the spell so far. Low of -5.9C last night and a high of -2.4C. Freezing fog this morning, then sunny until about 3pm, then freezing fog again. Frosty all day.