Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Todays Weather And General Chat

Zenarcher

Posted

Just had a text from back home on Essex/Herts border

Apparantly theyve been having snow flurries this morning with some fairly large flakes

Very suprising just how much the cold has stuck around in the SE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

It's freezing here - currently -4.7 (yes, MINUS!!!) the coldest lunchtime temperature here since before the dawn of time!

Posted
Coldest night of the winter here at -2.2c. It's now -1c so a suprisingly cold morning for round here! Overcast of course...
Coldest night?!!

Currently 2.7C here now, but, bizarrely, the puddles are still all icy.

Posted

Have a decent frost here, with temps getting down to around -5c overnight.

The skies are cloudy, and the wind is increasing - Temps are currently at -1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
-3.4oC, and thick white frost, was definately colder than expected overnight. Overcast at present. Think one more cold day before the atlantic takes over tomorrow. It will be highly unusual having mild temperatures, and giving the boiler a rest!!! :D

-2.7c at present at 2pm

Another freezing day with heavy frost all day, temps of 7c and 8c will look odd

BBC suggested the ground will take time to thaw ??

Posted

Chance of the 1st ice day in Central London since Jan 1997? Still -1.4°C at the London Weather Centre. If it has stayed belowed freezing by 1800hrs but then rises above before midnight, is that classed as an ice day?

Still yet to get above -4°C here in the Chilterns (West Herts), with a beautiful hoar frost still holding and not a breath of wind. Certainly the coldest day I can remember here, possibly since 1991 or even 1987.

Edited by Nick H

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
Just had a text from back home on Essex/Herts border

Apparantly theyve been having snow flurries this morning with some fairly large flakes

Very suprising just how much the cold has stuck around in the SE

We still got lying snow from Monday here in North East Hertfordshire! Cannot remember the last time that snow has lasted so long.

At -3c its the coldest day I can remember. :D

Castlebay Isle Of Barra

Outdoor temp 7.4c

Outdoor humidity 96%

Pressure 994mb

Wind direction South

Wind speed 20mph

Gust 31mph

Highest gust so far today 71mph

Cloud Height 258ft

Wet Bulb 7c

Rain in last 24hours 15mm

Total rainfall This Month 35.1mm

Dew Point 6.8c

Wind Chill 6c

Weather Heavy showers earlier now partly cloudy sunny spells dry bright

Posted

The coldest day for a long long time here with a top temperature of -2.7c!!!! Amazingly cold! Currently -3.4c, overcast and a light breeze.

Edited by Tommyd1258

Posted

I have just driven up the valley to get some bedding for my horse, and by climbing up about 200ft I found there was still loads of snow, we have a covering here, everything is still very frozen and there is still loads of frost on the ground. As the day has gone on the wind has got stronger and it is now absolutely freezing when you go outside. Just looking outside at the moment I would swear it is going to snow, but the forecast is for heavy rain and temperatures going up. I still wonder if it could snow, we seem to be in a weather world of our own up here, it must be our altitude.

Here's hoping!

Shadowfax

Posted

this has to be the coldest day for us during this cold spell. woke up to -6 at 9am and temp hasnt reached any higher than -4.7 all day.

with the slight breeze it is raw outside, feel sorry for all the ducks on the pond with a lack of water to swim in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
Chance of the 1st ice day in Central London since Jan 1997? Still -1.4°C at the London Weather Centre. If it has stayed belowed freezing by 1800hrs but then rises above before midnight, is that classed as an ice day?

Officially it's only an ice day if the temp' stays below 0c for the whole 24 hours from 0900-0900, so the temp' would have to remain below 0c until 0900 tomorrow to qualify.

Then again there are plenty of automatic stations which operate on a midnight to midnight basis, but that opens up a whole can of worms with regard to direct comparision between one station and another.

Posted

2nd Ice day on the trot down here! :(

Currently:

Temp: -1.9

DP: -4.0

Humidity: 88%

Windchil: -5.0

Weather: Mostly Cloudy

Matt :(:D

Edit: Now -2.0

Edited by Matty J

Posted

Took the dogs out for a walk before it got dark, some impressive rime deposits on the trees and hedgerows. I suspect it is getting somewhat milder, as now -1.2C, compared with -3.5 at 1pm. But with the wind picking up, and the fog you could see the rime deposits growing. Pretty bitter, but fun because the dogs came back clean, seeing as everything is frozen solid. An ice day? Well yesterday was, but I suspect it will touch and go whether temperatures remain below freezing here until midnight. Its only a statistic.

Posted

as posted on the cold thread

amazing day really, a noticeable breeze making the wind chill quite high for this area, -6C at times, -9C in the early hours.

the main thing of note though its the second ice day in this cold spell, a max of -0.3C, I cannot ever remember that since I moved here in 1990; I'll look the Finningley records up but would imagine its back to the 80's and probably the 62-63 winter to get two in one spell. That winter of course where I worked at Langar (se of Nottingham) we had seven consecutive days!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

BBC reporting coldest day in London for over a decade.

Mild, windy and raining here :D

Posted

A maximum temperature of -0.2C here so far, but it has now fallen back to -0.4C.

We havent had an ice day yet this winter and it doesnt look like we will today either, as most of the north-east is now well above freezing. Only a matter of time before the milder air makes it here.