Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Todays Weather And General Chat

Zenarcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

7.6C here and rather mild feeling :D

Posted

Another cold and grey day here in Telford today with a biting gusty wind which made it surprising that the fog never lifted properly.

Quite surprising really as areas not to far north & west have reached 4-6c now whilst its not even 1c here yet.

Current conditions:

Weather: Cloudy/Windy

Temp: 0.7c

Dewpoint: 0c

Wind: SSW 12mph

Max Temp: 0.7c

Min Temp: -4.6c

Posted

Overcast, misty and very cold, with light snow this morning. The first ice day here since I moved to Reading in 2002. Maximum -0.2 after an overnight minimum of -4.1. Perhaps the coldest day since New Year's Day 1997, when I believe it didn't rise above -2 over most of southern England.

Posted

I think the milder air is arriving because the temperature is now 1.6c having been 0.8c a few hours ago. We have partly cloudy sky and a gentle SW breeze.

Posted

Well I think that the - 0.89 combined with the wind chill of - 4 that we have had earlier today, made it feel colder than most of the actual cold days put together. It fair "bit" your cheeks and ears on the horse paddock today. :lol:

Currently

Humidity: 95%

Dew Point: 0 °C

Wind: 11 km/h / from the SW

Wind Gust: -

Pressure: 1022 hPa (Falling)

Visibility: 2.6 kilometers

Clouds: Few 150 m

(Above Ground Level)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

A bitterly cold day today, and some of the best rime i've ever seen!

A MAXIMUM of -2.3C, now -3.5 again.

The wind got up around 1pm, causing the rime to blow off the trees, leaving what looked like a centimetre of snow cover under some trees.

We still have some snow cover here from earlier on in the week, quite incredible really for the "even larger teapot" considering there was less than half an inch to begin with.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Rather cloudy last night with a ground frost, after the evenings hard frost. Cloudy and breezy today, mildest day for over 2 weeks! Most of remaining ice has now thawed.

Min: -4.5c @ 2030 yesterday.

Max: 5.5c currently.

Rain yesterday and today: Nil.

Currently: Cloudy, rather windy and dry.

Temp: 5.5c.

Pressure: 1020 mbar, steady.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Thick freezing fog from about 2100 yesterday to the present time. A rise in temperature throughout the day and a steady increase in wind speed this afternoon.

All trees, bushes, vegetation, fence wire etc is covered with 7-15mm rime on the windward side.

At 1800;

Temp', -0.4c

Max' today, -0.3c

Min' last night, -5.4c

Grass min', -7.5c

Rainfall from 0900-1800, nil

Sunshine, nil

Mean wind speed, 26 mph SW

Highest gust today, 35 mph SW at 1831

Sky obscured by freezing fog

Vis', 70 mts.

Posted
Looking like a possible ice day in London City, temp at 6PM -0.7C, which also the max for the day.

How many times does London City have an ice day? Must be exceedingly rare these days.

Edited by Thundersquall

How many times does London City have an ice day? Must be exceedingly rare these days.

Yeah I'm guessing it doesn't happen too often as well! The mild air might reach there before the day is out though, but it stayed below 0C during daylight hours.

Posted

Time 21:35 Greece time

Air temperature : 10,2 C

Humidity : 72 %

Wind : NE 19 km/h

Pressure rel : 1026,4 hpa steady

Dew point : 5,4 C

clouds : 7/8 stratocumulus

Daily rain : 0,0 mm

Rain month : 20,3 mm

Rain year 2009 : 20,3 mm

Min Air Temperature today : 8,1 C

Max Air Temperature today : 11,4 C

Greek weather stations top 100

http://greece.gotop100.com/

Posted

After a clear and frosty start to the day it clouded over and became very misty, the frost has persisted all day in some areas. :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Took the dogs out for a walk before it got dark, some impressive rime deposits on the trees and hedgerows. I suspect it is getting somewhat milder, as now -1.2C, compared with -3.5 at 1pm. But with the wind picking up, and the fog you could see the rime deposits growing. Pretty bitter, but fun because the dogs came back clean, seeing as everything is frozen solid. An ice day? Well yesterday was, but I suspect it will touch and go whether temperatures remain below freezing here until midnight. Its only a statistic.

I think it's our second ice day in a row only got up to –0.7C yesterday. Still crazy cold here –3.4C, just half a degree warmer than it was this time last night. I shall feel bereft when it's gone :doh:

I was thinking today that I prefer a hoar frost to snow visually. Every detail is picked out with ice crystals but you still get the colour variation... snow just covers everything.

Here's some pictures of the scenery. I've never seen it so frozen in the 7 years I've been living here and won't forget the past few days (in a nice way :) ).

post-8078-1231619430_thumb.jpg

post-8078-1231619454_thumb.jpg

post-8078-1231619475_thumb.jpg

post-8078-1231619517_thumb.jpg

Posted

Some very low maxes today in the SE/ E Anglia:

Charlwood, Surrey -2.9C

Marham, Norfolk -2.6C

Andrewsfield, Essex -2.5C

Wattisham, Suffolk -2.5C

Kenley, Gtr London -2.4C

Farnborough, Hampshire -2.0C

London Heathrow AP -1.9C

Northolt, Gtr London -1.9C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
Some very low maxes today in the SE/ E Anglia:

Charlwood, Surrey -2.9C

Marham, Norfolk -2.6C

Andrewsfield, Essex -2.5C

Wattisham, Suffolk -2.5C

Kenley, Gtr London -2.4C

Farnborough, Hampshire -2.0C

London Heathrow AP -1.9C

Northolt, Gtr London -1.9C

We've had a recorded low, at midday, of -4.0C and Wattisham (the closest MetO to me) is currently recording -3.1 °C, so it's getting warmer even if we've been below zero all day. I shall miss the cold, dry weather and dread a return to the sinking, swallowing Suffolk mud.

Posted

Took the 3 children in to the park today with the not very intrepid plan to "walk round the lake". The park was largely empty of people but full of winter sights that stopped you in your tracks. Proper old style hoar frost that you could flick off the branches and watch spin and dance, ancient oaks and chestnuts standing solid against cold that they must have thought had long gone, and waterbirds here for the easy mild ride, no doubt looking for a refund. The lake was mostly like concrete that had nearly gone off, covered in unfeasibly large and increasingly heavy testers chucked out by the locals, all of which sat on the ice challenging the senders to go and get them. My children I guess could have walked right across but being a responsible chap I took the view that if the ice creaked under my 14 stone their combined 8 could be a worry. We still managed some decent sliding where it normally runs deeper. On top of our recent experience in West Wales where sea cliffs hung with icicles, and beaches mixed sand with ice and you could run you fingers over rock covered with verglas, this winter still feels pretty old fashioned. Interesting that everyone out and about today appeared to be there because they loved the scene, the cold, the feel and, mostly, the fun of it all.

AS