Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Banners

Posted

I've got a revamped website, and have sorted out generating a banner from the weather information. Is there a way to display this as part of my signature?

I've tried wrapping the banner's address in image tags, and it appears when I do, but then when I go to save it, it says there's something wrong with the address format.

The banner is at http://www.greatasby.co.uk/weather/banner.php

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Hi OON

Just out of interest, what are you using to build your website? I am no techie by any means but have 'done' my own site recently from being a complete numpty - and it actually works. Hurrah!

Best Wishes

Andy

Posted

You need to save the banner as an image Piers as its generated by the php server. Then all you need to do is point the url to the generated image rather than the php generated page. If you follow..

Posted

There you go...

I knew there was a 'techie' around somewhere.

Andy

...but having said that...

How does one build a weather station website? Is there a template (or various templates) or

is it just like building a normal website and putting on what you want.

Can it be automated so that info from receivers go into the website automatically, or does the

info need to be loaded manually.

Any information would be gratefully received...Pottyprof, OON...anyone?

Posted

Thanks Pottyprof,

I shall have a good look at that.

Andy

Posted

I'm just using a template and software provided by www.sandaysoft.com - and it's great. I've not written anything myself because I'm a retard.

Potty - if I made it into an image, it wouldn't update would it?

Posted
I'm just using a template and software provided by www.sandaysoft.com - and it's great. I've not written anything myself because I'm a retard.

You probably wont be able to do it unless you can somehow make it an updating .JPEG rather than a PHP file. Most coding is turned off in signatures so i believe the only way would be image tags. I may be wrong tho so i guess that wasn't much help :whistling:

Posted

If Pottys suggestion doesn't work OON ask Steve at Sansaysoft if he can help you out.

Posted

You would have to find some way of updating the image say every 5 mins, similar to the way that heavyweather creates its tag images may work.. I'll see if i can work it out..

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Hi OON,

As you can see, I can link to my current conditions live image, by using the image link on the control panel. I tried the same method with yours but the board returns an error message, saying that the ‘png’ image extensions cannot be used. The extension used on my image is gif, so it may be worth trying to convert yours to the same format, if that is possible.

Paul

Posted

Ah ha - I read somewhere about altering the output. Let me have a go.

Alas...no.

I still get an error message saying

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board. A valid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.gif, an invalid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.one.gif
which puzzles me as the location of the banner is www.greatasby.co.uk/weather/banner.php Edited by Osbourne One-Nil

Posted
Ah ha - I read somewhere about altering the output. Let me have a go.

Alas...no.

I still get an error message saying which puzzles me as the location of the banner is www.greatasby.co.uk/weather/banner.php

Should it not be .gif now though? Or have you not altered it ?

Edit: Ah ok it is a gif image but not a .gif

Posted

Nope - tried changing it to .gif too and it only made things worse.

I think the world is going to have to do without my live banner and if they're travelling between Crosby Ravensworth and Crosby Garrett, they'll have to visit the full website.