Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Someone Please Put Me Out Of My Misery !

Claudia

I have been trying to find something that will tell me where the moon will be and when. I am looking for a little dial type thing that I can just stick in my rucksack and forget about until I need it. Not any GPS,DVD or computer type things please !

Any suggestions very welcome !!!!!!!! :)

Posted

Yikes, I have never seen too many lunar phase dials.

I think the problem with these is the period of the lunar cycle.

It would be difficult to make a dial that would remain accurate for any length of time without time input.

You can get watches with lunar cycles, which tend to be a bit expensive.

I think if it was me, and I wanted something for my backpack I would simple look at a small calendar with lunar phases on it.

The other alternative would be a book. The RASC (Royal Astronomical Society of Canada) sells the 'Observers Handbook'. Undoubtedly the best of it's kind in the world.

It has a day by day lunar phase description for the year. It also notes anything in particular noticeable.

It has a host of other information.

Not sure on this bit I think the price range is around £21.00 to GB

Posted

hi, interesting question that,i have known about this site for sometime but have,nt gotten around to purchasing one yet,

some nice stuff here,not too sure if it will suit your needs but its the nearest thing i know of

http://www.moonstick.com/

Thank-you for all attempts so far but unless I have missed something sadly they will not tell me both where and when the moon will appear :rofl: Warehouse Express had them featured on their main page three years ago and they kindly phoned the manufacturer as they no longer stock this item but they are not making them any more :rolleyes: I have tried the websites that claim to say when and where the moon will rise and when for this area but they have all stated different details and gave up on that in the end, besides then if you get carried away with other things for awhile (which I tend to do) you can guarantee

I wouldnt have an up to date one with me ! :shok:

Thanks again for trying but the watch will not allow me to calculate ahead of time :mellow: And the luna wheel as far as I could make out will only tell you what cycle the moon will be at on a given date, sadly not when and where it rises. :(

Just like the sundial information but moon !!! It does not even have to tell me what the phase of moon will be just when and where !!!!!!

Posted
And the luna wheel as far as I could make out will only tell you what cycle the moon will be at on a given date, sadly not when and where it rises. :mellow:

Not strictly true - it also gives you 'rudimentary transit time, moonrise and moonset times, range and time of tides'.

As for where - it's really not that difficult to tell where it is, just look up for a big bright ball in the sky once it is dark.

If you could remember the exact name of the exact thing you do want, then it would help.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear sky or snow

a pda with software would be the best thing in my opinion being portable and multifunctional.

I don't know if this shows the moon or not

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/StarPocket-star-find...A1%7C240%3A1318

the only other thing would be to use is this software and print off the charts as required