Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Trip Down Memory Lane Thread....

SMU

Well after years of Gathering dust in some forgotton about bag I have finally found my treasure Chest video tape of Weather forecasts from Late 1995 to early 2000's-

It has some crackers on there from Feb 96, Xmas 96/97 & onwards-

Here are a list of Weather presenters on the tape to bring back some memories-

Rob M- A very YOUNG looking one at that-

Richard Edgar- Very interesting dresser-

John Kettley- how do we forget that tashe'-

Suzanna Charlton-

Bill Giles- .... Sir

Micheal Fish- With Some hair-

Bernard Davey- Who remembers him!!!

I will try & upload a forecast a week- A couple of Classics here & there- I have 5 hours on Long play so theres plenty to Choose from-

What I dont know though is how to get them onto a Windows media file- perhaps some kind sole will help-

Basically I will have to use a digital Camera & film the TV, then upload via USB lead to my PC-

Can i then upload to here without using the likes of You Tube??- HELP!!

Anyway to wet the appetite I took a couple of quick snaps the other day-

date FEB 1996- Very apt at the moment as we always refer to this event, & it has similarities of what we have seen lately-

post-1235-1232559461_thumb.jpg

look at that lovely Continental Flow-

post-1235-1232559510_thumb.jpg

post-1235-1232559543_thumb.jpg

I remember being totally ecstatic wit the above forecast as the snow was predicted to get to East London... As we know now it ground to a halt just on the Western Suberbs of London...

post-1235-1232559618_thumb.jpg

Yes Heavy Snow for Carlisle-

post-1235-1232559656_thumb.jpg

Snow depths-

More to come...............

regards

Steve

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Thanks for that Steve, look forward to the next batch!

Posted

Thanks Steve, cracking stuff! Just over 1/2 Meter in Eskdalemuir!

Plus...there was more to follow!

Edited by Wayneywoo

Posted

Thanks steve the best thing to do would be to upload them to rapidshare and then post the link to download them.

Looking forward to them

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Sorry Steve I forgot to say thank you in my post, so many thanks for sharing those with us :) Brings me back to my childhood when I used to watch the forecasts on BBC with the old weather symbols and graphics. I would have only been 7-8 years old in 1996!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

Thanks steve, yeah that does bring back memories.. i started my first year of high school that winter! It also reminds me just how good those BBC graphics were! seriousl, i liked those graphics..

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

I remember Feb 96 well. Powder snow started around midnight and collected about 12cms from that snowfall which continued right into the following day. Stayed around for a few days as well. Later that month there was a brilliant bitterly cold convective north easterly and I can remember going to a job interview in smart clothes and wearing green wellington boots for the journey during a white out snowstorm (my heeled court shoes carried in a large waterproof bag to put on when I got to the intervew :) )

There was thunder that afternoon in one of the heaviest snow squalls too :)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119960220.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

I lived in West Cumbria at the time, where my parents still live, when I was up there for xmas I dug out the pictures of the week that followed that forecast and half inched them. Only problem is trying to find a scanner to put them on, I will try to do so tomorrow, some of them are epic, 52cm....pah!  :)

Posted

I much prefer those old symbols, thanks for those Steve.

A couple of drifting snow on there aswell.

30mph SE-ly ... on the 5th there was blizzards in the afternoon here. :)

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

steve - great idea, even if you've just made me feel a lot older :) )

to take it onto wmv, tell us the details of the kit you've got, I'm sure I've got details of some VCR to PC kit :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
Well after years of Gathering dust in some forgotton about bag I have finally found my treasure Chest video tape of Weather forecasts from Late 1995 to early 2000's-

What I dont know though is how to get them onto a Windows media file- perhaps some kind sole will help-

Basically I will have to use a digital Camera & film the TV, then upload via USB lead to my PC-

Can i then upload to here without using the likes of You Tube??- HELP!!

I'm assuming you've not got a TV capture card in your pc? They're pretty cheap (£40ish) and do the job much better than filming the tv!

Assuming your method-

More than likely the camera will produce AVI's (forget Windows Media as you'd have to convert the files & anyone without a Windows pc can't see them) which you upload to your PC via the USB link.

Then to distribute I recommend using www.rapidshare.com

Simply go to : http://www.rapidshare.com

- Upload the file

- Fill in YOUR email address as the from & to links

- You'll get an email with a download link in it - just paste that link into here.

Any questions just ask.

Posted

Hehe Christmas and New Year 96 - remember it well - blooming freezing and very very slippery! I went over at least twice on the way to and from the pub on Christmas Eve. Brilliantly festive season that one. I believe it was 96 but may have been 95 when we had a few flakes on Christmas Day and that was the last White Christmas for me although the west of the county struck gold in the 2001 event.

Great pictures - when did they last do 'snow depths' on the weather?!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Ah the days when Snow was snow and when a 1cm of snow didn't turn into 10cm. Whatever happened to it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Hehe Christmas and New Year 96 - remember it well - blooming freezing and very very slippery! I went over at least twice on the way to and from the pub on Christmas Eve. Brilliantly festive season that one. I believe it was 96 but may have been 95 when we had a few flakes on Christmas Day and that was the last White Christmas for me although the west of the county struck gold in the 2001 event.

I think Christmas Day 1995 is the more likely, as it had a cold northerly type in occupation and although most areas were dry and sunny, there were the usual east-coast snow showers which will probably have penetrated Norfolk later in the day. Christmas Day 1996 isn't beyond the realms of possibility as there was a half-hearted easterly and a few scattered wintry showers about, but temperatures were more marginal on that occasion.

I remember the easterly of the New Year 1996/7 period very well- snow stuck around for over a week in some areas.

The last time I remember snow depths being used in a forecast was in winter 2000/01, when in early February Aberdeen had 18cm, and in late December Belfast also reported 18cm.

Posted

On the subject of memorey lane here's the only pop song thats an ode to a weather man

Oh, Ayrton Senna's got the voice of a tenor

Peter Snow sings very low

Mark Burano is a soprano,

John Kettley... John Kettley... John Kettley: He's a weatherman.

John Kettley is a weatherman, a weatherman, a weatherman, John Kettley is a weatherman, And so is Michael Fish.

Simon Parkin's always larkin',

Eric Lane is the same,

Jonathan Ross collects moss,

John Kettley is a weatherman, a weatherman, a weatherman, John Kettley is a weatherman, And so is Michael Fish.

Lester Piggott couldn't dig it,

David Icke rides a bike,

Richard Keys has got no knees,

Debbie Thrower's got a lawnmower,

Johnny Marr he plays guitar,

David Steel lives in Keele,

Chuck Noakes has blue socks,

Andy Crane has got no brain,

Bernard Davey left the navy,

John Kettley is a weatherman, a weatherman, a weatherman, John Kettley is a weatherman, And so is Michael Fish

John Kettley is a weatherman, a weatherman, a weatherman, John Kettley is a weatherman,

And so is Michael Fish,

And so is Billy Giles

And so is Iain McCaskill

And so is Wincey Willis.

Heres the link to a video

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Db6WHtNV5-I

Edited by weather eater

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Well here goes and about to give my age away, can just about remember some cracking winters in the fifties and that was when boys wore shorts in all weathers, of course with the added protection of wellies which left a stinging red rim where they chaffed the legs. I suppose the best winter I remember was 1963 when the local ponds froze over for what seemed like an eternity and we all bolted home from school and had an hour ice skating, there wasn't an enormous amount of snowfall but what fell lasted right through till March, these are old memories and great ones.

I reached the ripe old age of 40 in Feb. 1991 and My missus gave me a flying lesson which had to be postponed for a few days because of an incursion from the mythical arctic high, marvellous memories, hope there is plenty more to come.

SS2

reason for edit, added 10 years onto my age was 40 in 1991

Edited by sandstorm2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

This is an entertaining thread Steve especially for us Snow starved lowlying dwellers further South.

There are quite a number of Snow/Cold vid forecasts on Utube.

With reference to Sandstorm 2,s post previously--

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd6DuebHliY

That is Mr.Macaskill on the Bitter,Snowy Easterly of February 1991,check out those windchill temps as well.

I remember someone else posting similar links sometime ago.

Anyhow i hope i havent hijacked your collection as i am sure you have some unseen gems.

Good luck with the postings.

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted

I`m sure this was the event I remember that started off as cold rain then turned to snow I can`t see where else it was,there was snowcover still left from late January 1996,it was a great SE-ly snow event and bitter wind chill as I remember,but it didn`t turn to the east like past winters.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119960205.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00219960205.gif

I can remember seeing this forecast too just come to think of it.

Posted

If only we would get a widespread snow event like that again. Then EVERYONE who wanted snow would be happy! Fantastic pics and reminds me of how much i love the old Beeb graphics. Thanks for sharing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Well here goes and about to give my age away, can just about remember some cracking winters in the fifties and that was when boys wore shorts in all weathers, of course with the added protection of wellies which left a stinging red rim where they chaffed the legs. I suppose the best winter I remember was 1963 when the local ponds froze over for what seemed like an eternity and we all bolted home from school and had an hour ice skating, there wasn't an enormous amount of snowfall but what fell lasted right through till March, these are old memories and great ones.

I reached the ripe old age of 40 in Feb. 1991 and My missus gave me a flying lesson which had to be postponed for a few days because of an incursion from the mythical arctic high, marvellous memories, hope there is plenty more to come.

SS2

reason for edit, added 10 years onto my age was 40 in 1991

Lol :D You are same age as me, or just 6 months older.

You've reminded me of my very strict boarding school in winter '62/63, we weren't allowed to wear tights until we were up a year and so went around in uniform of a skirt and socks, shirt and jumper... of course after a few weeks of us nearly getting knee frostbite they grudgingly allowed trousers due to the "exceptional circumstances, but no, I repeat, no jeans will be allowed". Jeans were considered subversive in those days. :) One girl got into terrible trouble for wearing a poloneck instead of the shirt, they were subversive too. :)

Returning to the charts, I do wish they'd reinstate those pressure contours, instead of the vague rainy bits or light effects they do now. It was much clearer and you could see the direction and origination of the fronts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers
Lol :D You are same age as me, or just 6 months older.

You've reminded me of my very strict boarding school in winter '62/63, we weren't allowed to wear tights until we were up a year and so went around in uniform of a skirt and socks, shirt and jumper... of course after a few weeks of us nearly getting knee frostbite they grudgingly allowed trousers due to the "exceptional circumstances, but no, I repeat, no jeans will be allowed". Jeans were considered subversive in those days. :) One girl got into terrible trouble for wearing a poloneck instead of the shirt, they were subversive too. :)

Returning to the charts, I do wish they'd reinstate those pressure contours, instead of the vague rainy bits or light effects they do now. It was much clearer and you could see the direction and origination of the fronts.

What do you mean 6 months older!!!

Only joking, aye these were the days, no messing about then with school rules, I will get shot for saying this, but they were good days, there were no computers to complicate things.

SS2

Posted

I remember that occluded front well in Jan 1996, as upto that point it was mostly the east that had seen the bulk of the winter weather. I was at Lancaster University at the time, and Morecambe had its heaviest snowfall since 1947. Ironically I had a Meteorology lecture early that day with the bloke who wrote this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fundamentals-Weath...n/dp/0748740791 and said Lancaster was in for an 'unprecendented' snow event. He wasn't wrong. After several pints at 1am I remember jumping in 1-2 metre high drifts up at the Ashton Memorial next to the M6 and sledging down the hill on whatever we could get our hands on - rubbish bins, baking trays, bags you name it. Happy days.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Thanks Steve, this looks like a brilliant thread, really looking forward to this.

I remember all those famous weather presenters, really brings back memories, Rob M, he was one of the best back then, and still the best today.

Regarding transferring tape to digital, one or two have already give a few good ideas. It can be done several ways, one way is the way you’ve already described, or your if you have got, or can borrow a DVD player with built in video tape player, you could transfer the video to DVD without any loss of quality. Once on DVD, it should be relatively easy to copy them from DVD to computer.

The biggest hurdle is getting them on here, I doubt you could upload to this board as the files would be to big. So You Tube or as others have mentioned ‘rapidshare.’ Or maybe have a word with Paul, re the Netweather TV system.

Paul