Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Northern England

Mondy

Posted

Particulary for folks in Scotland and N.England. Further south into Devon/Cornwall doesn't count :lol:

I don't keep records of temperatures, frosts, ice days et al but does anyone else agree the past month or so has seen frosts just about every morning.

I do not recall the past decade [or longer] having so many frosty mornings. Car windscreen scraping has become a way of life now, especially in the hours after dawn break. Even this morning had a white frost all over - I wouldn't thought that possible last night considering their was a stiff breeze at 11.30pm.

If I did keep a tally of say the most recent 50 consecutive days, I quite happily state at least 35 of those days have been frost.

Anyone else wondering the same?

Posted
Particulary for folks in Scotland and N.England. Further south into Devon/Cornwall doesn't count :lol:

I don't keep records of temperatures, frosts, ice days et al but does anyone else agree the past month or so has seen frosts just about every morning.

I do not recall the past decade [or longer] having so many frosty mornings. Car windscreen scraping has become a way of life now, especially in the hours after dawn break. Even this morning had a white frost all over - I wouldn't thought that possible last night considering their was a stiff breeze at 11.30pm.

If I did keep a tally of say the most recent 50 consecutive days, I quite happily state at least 35 of those days have been frost.

Ok im not from northern england and scotland but i do think yes there have been a lot of frosts. Certainly, there has hardly been any mild southwesterlies apart from a few days pre-Christmas

Edited by high ground birmingham

Posted

This isnt the case everywhere. Here we're running below the 1971-2000 average for frosts. So far we've seen just 8 in total (average is 12 in Dec and Jan). In fact, Ive only had to scrape the car twice.

Couple that with no snow yet and apart from being a little colder than average this winter is just like all the others in recent years, very poor.

Ive noticed a general trend of winter cold spells being associated with anticyclonic weather rather than blasts on the back of depressions. It seems that even the toppler is becoming a rare beast in the winter months. At one time a couple of days with a decent covering could be guaranteed even in the worst winters here, but in the past few years Ive watched the days with snow lying at 0900 disappear to almost nothing.

Posted

Totally agree as we have no fresh green grass to put the sheep onto, and they are now getting turnips and hay put out to them which I haven"t done since the winters of the sixties and seventies. The fields have been burnt brown by the frost we seem to have had nearly every night since the end of October something that has not happened for over 20 years according to my farm diaries and there were areas in the shade since before Christmas where you could still find frozen soil beneath the surface during the milder interludes . I was also reading that Highland Council have used up their budgeted amount of road salt for this winter and are into their contingency stores something else that would back up the feeling that frost has been very frequent. If this is an old fashioned winter then it will be even frostier in February as this was when in past we had the most severe frosts as the saying goes "As the days lengthen so the cold strengthens" This was when we usually cut gorse and broom where they were incroaching on the fields on very cold sunny days on iron hard frozen ground and burned them on bonfires.

Posted

Very interesting NL - something that isn't mentioned in the media at all.

Edit: And I think tonight/tomorrow morning will be more of the same.

Edited by Delta X-Ray

Posted
This isnt the case everywhere. Here we're running below the 1971-2000 average for frosts. So far we've seen just 8 in total (average is 12 in Dec and Jan). In fact, Ive only had to scrape the car twice.

Couple that with no snow yet and apart from being a little colder than average this winter is just like all the others in recent years, very poor.

Ive noticed a general trend of winter cold spells being associated with anticyclonic weather rather than blasts on the back of depressions. It seems that even the toppler is becoming a rare beast in the winter months. At one time a couple of days with a decent covering could be guaranteed even in the worst winters here, but in the past few years Ive watched the days with snow lying at 0900 disappear to almost nothing.

Well I disagree with you here...there have been countless frosts in December and January in Birmingham. I think your close to the coast which means you have less frost but inland, it has been quite a frosty winter.

Not sure about your no snow comment. 28th October, i know is not technically winter but saw some widespread snow. Around 23rd November there was more snow especially for the north. We have seen quite a significant snowfall event in the north of england and scotland on 4th Dec.

4th-5th January brought me and other parts of the midlands some snow (2-4cm) which was quite nice especially since it lasted a few days. The I think a few days after this there was more snow especially in Cumbria if i remember rightly with 2-3 inches.

The recent spell of cold zonality has delivered snow to NI and Scotland and to high ground of Northern England. Im also sure some lower levels in the North saw a covering of snow on Thurs night.

Therefore, saying there has been NO SNOW has been inaccurate. P.s. even London saw snow on Oct 28th lol

Posted

There have been miles more frosts this year than recently. Since I moved to Lancashire in 02 frosts had been quite rare, i'd remarked how frost had become as rare as snow used to be back home and was starting to consider Lancashire as a sort of northern Cornish equivalent. But this year, it only takes the narrowest of cracks to appear in the cloud cover and, hey presto, you need the ice scraper. round here the grass is miles browner than in anytime while I have lived here and the roads are a mess, there's loads of pot holes due to ice widening cracks and then rain washing them out. 

Posted

29 air frosts here so far(23 in 2005/06 upto this point)

If your talking about ground frosts though I`ve lost count. :p

Only 1 day above 10c...10.4c in december there was 3 other mild days though 9.8/9.9c etc.... 1 day of 10c in february 05/06 and there was the lowest february max then since 1986 so what will this february bring.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

15 air frosts in (my area of) Edinburgh so far this winter. 1 ice day 30th December (max 0.0, min -4.3). Although coldest day was 30th November (max -0.2, min -5.4).

Been over 10C on 9 days, mildest day was 21st December (max 12.4, min 8.2). No snow to speak of.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

December saw frost in Inverness last for over a week, with very cold day-time maxima on some occasions. It certainly has been a very frosty and cold winter so far, but it could have been even colder if there was snow on the ground.

Posted

It`s the frostiest since 1996/97 so far, but that winter went downhill 43 air frosts I make that about until the end of march.

Posted

Well about 30 miles due North of you it's a different story. I do accept you have a point, as in the recent high pressure cold spell, this wasn't the best place to be as we were constantly under leaden skies with a breeze off the relatively warm North Sea. However, they did clear briefly at times, giving us a good number of frosts, but not really cold nights. You didn't have to go much further inland to notice a bigger difference. We are 10 miles inland, incidentally.

Since November we have had 40 air frosts, 8 November, 18 December and 14 January, though the mean min for Dec was 0.0, even with air frost on more than half the nights. This month with 14 out of 24, the mean is -0.0 currently. (Actually, it's -0.6 currently)!

As for snow, loads of it and 16 (or 17?) 0900 covers since November, including a 20cm fall. Again, location is key and though not at a great elevation, it's enough to make a difference, as is proximity to the coast, but this time for the right reasons. We're also in Wolds valley, which helps the frost.

So it's been fairly frosty, but not cold!

Bring back the Northerlies, these Westerlies gave some snow this week, but we're not high enough for accumulation.

Posted
It`s the frostiest since 1996/97 so far, but that winter went downhill 43 air frosts I make that about until the end of march.

That ties in with solar minimum of cycle 22 :p

Now we're just leaving the minimum of cycle 23/beginning of 24. Sure ties up with my thinking..hmmm :p

Out of interest then, were the winters of 1902, 1913, 1924, 34, 44, 54, 65, 77, 87 abound with frosts too?

Edited by Delta X-Ray

Posted
excuse me but i dont think you know what youre talking about because here in north western northern ireland we must have at about 45 frosts over a period of 1 and a half months.

Posted

Very interesting DXR :p

Don't forget we even had some hard frosts towards the end of October too with Topcliffe in N.Yorks recording -7C on Oct 29th.

I`ve counted octobers air frosts.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Definitely lots of frosts this year - I have to scrape the car nearly every morning!

Posted
So it's been fairly frosty, but not cold!

Yes... It's been frosty alright, but the actual temp feels warmer; I know what you mean.

As I type this, it feels mild enough outside although the grass and cars are covered already with frost. Perhaps we've just become used to it and minus -1/-3 or whatever is irrrelevant now. Guess you have stay in certain locations to believe this thread..

Edited by Delta X-Ray

Posted

Well I've moved house to a new area so I can't say if frosts are more frequent or not this winter but I've had to scrap the car on at least 60 mornings so far since the first time on 2nd October, then that’s not to mention the 15 or so times that it has needed scraped at 5pm for coming home. It has been pretty snow less though, and the minima haven't been that low, just consistently around freezing.

Posted

Therefore, saying there has been NO SNOW has been inaccurate. P.s. even London saw snow on Oct 28th lol

I think it's for Reef to say whether or not there has been snow in HIS location, which if you read carefully is what he's saying. Here in Stratosdale this winter has been fairly snowy by modern standards, both in terms of frequency of snowfall, and also in terms of snow lying. Quantities have been fairly impressive, but we haven't surpassed the March fall of 3-4 years ago.

Compared with the pre-christmas pudding, however, this is nothing.

Yes... It's been frosty alright, but the actual temp feels warmer; I know what you mean.

As I type this, it feels mild enough outside although the grass and cars are covered already with frost. Perhaps we've just become used to it and minus -1/-3 or whatever is irrrelevant now. Guess you have stay in certain locations to believe this thread..

Though worth bearing in mind that your car can be frosty even at +4 or +5 in the right conditions. The main thing that's been outstanding this winter compared to recent winters has been the number of clear nights.

It will be interesting to tally official stats for air frost because a chunck of this year's perceived frost is, I suspect, ground frost.

A lot of times this winter, there have been sub zero temps overnight but no visible frost to speak of (this is particularly true around the Christmas), overall air frosts have well above the recent average and probably close to a longer term average.

(I know I am not in Scotland and Northern England, btw) :)

Posted
(I know I am not in Scotland and Northern England, btw) :)

Feel free to change the title of the topic :-)

Btw, why do I dislike the word "modern" so much..urghhh!!! A good old dictionary is needed to enlighten some people to understand the word modern :)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
Particulary for folks in Scotland and N.England. Further south into Devon/Cornwall doesn't count :)

Whats windsceen wiping???

No air frosts for the last 13 days and only 8 eight ground frosts during that period. Still for the last few years that is out standing.