Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Davis Vantage Pro 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Hi all,

Just the other week, I decided to upgrade from the Oregon WNR928NX to the DVP2 and I have hit bit of a brick wall. The ISS is faulty. I have never recorded a windspeed and, despite initial success, readings for: outside temperature; humidity; dew point etc started to go awry. So, I have sent the ISS back to the UK Importers for warranty and repair/replacement - McMurdo Ltd. This is all before I can even hope to attempt to solve the problem with my anemometer positioning.

Right then, moving away from the non-start, I briefly fixed the anemometer to the top of the roof above my attic bedroom. Unfortunately this rapidly reduced the potential for ideal placement of the ISS. The choice was somewhere on the patio, very close to the house, or on top of a green plastic garden table next to the fence. This left me with either: a pronounced warming effect, as heat escapes from the house (particularly evident where snowfall here disappears long before anywhere else in the garden shows signs of melting) and the recommendations are to avoid concrete or the sun-trap where the fence meets next-door's conservatory and the danger that a gusty wind will whip up the plastic table and hurl it across the lawn, along with the ISS. Somewhat far from an acceptable base.

The subsequent stretch of the 12m long cable causes it to be very vulnerable to the elements as well. It was of some surpise to me that my old Oregon station, after two years, still recorded the wind. The wires were very exposed where the cable had worn away. I want to avoid this with the DVP2 and I need some advice as to how to stop the eventual wire exposure. I found, on the UK weather shop site, a wireless anemometer transmitter. A perfect solution. However possessing such an unreasonably ridiculous price tag removes this completely out of the equation. http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/davis_6332OV.html - Just a touch under £700. A hundred pounds more than I paid for the entire DVP2 station with the data logger.

I am close to throwing in the towel for an anemometer roof-placement altogether. Installing it somewhere lower and less-exposed with a number of objects likely to nullify any of the more-exciting wind gusts experienced higher up above the roof.

Any suggestions on saving the roof-fix ?

I was hoping to finally achieve the best readings possible and join that elite group of those with their own station websites. Still, I shan't give up hope just yet...

Posted

I cant really help you other than to say that the wireless Anemometer thing must be a pricing error. It was "only" around £100-£150 last year when i was looking at getting one!

Here is a link to a cheaper one: http://www.meteorologica.co.uk/product.asp...=&PT_ID=108

I can't decide where to put mine either, it fell of the roof last week :blink:

Posted

Thanks Ross. I may well opt for that come the next pay day.

You mention that you were looking at buying one yourself. Did you ? ... and, if so, does it do the job ?

I hope the anemometer did not suffer too much damage. It's an expensive piece of apparatus (actually it all is. pfft).

There are numerous accessories that I want to add to the DVP2 (when it's finally up and running). Just a real shame that the additions are so expensive. For instance, I would really like to have a UV radiation sensor, but that particular instrument costs in excess of £450. Sooner rather than later, I will probably need some sort of roof mounting equipment to fix the anemometer well above it and avoid anomalous results from the sloping-effect.

Perhaps, shopping around may produce a few bargains. Meteorologica seems a decent enough site.

Edit - Meteorologica has the same UV sensor at £385. Still far too steep to consider it, but... nah, off limits. Hm.

Edited by Supercell

Posted

I haven't bought it yet since i moved to Edinburgh for 6 months there wasn't much point. I still have to buy that and the data logger/envoy. As you say they are pretty expensive add on's! I also need a roof fixing kit as well as my DIY job wasn't up to it! It only lasted a year before falling down :D

I'll maybe buy them soon but i'm saving for photography stuff for the storm chase in May so i doubt it will be until after the summer.

Yes meteorologica is pretty good, i have used them before :)

Posted

Oops, I was too busy faffing about editing my reply to notice your post.

Exciting stuff. Yes, the storm chase in May must remain a priority. I may sign up for next year. I would absolutely love to do it.

In the mean time, I shall settle for any type of weather, even if it is reminiscent of the ultra-light guara drizzle that plagues Peru for 4 months of the year, so long as I can record on an up and running station with an online site to go with it.

Edited by Supercell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Hi Supercell,

This is another good site always worth a look. i have used them before and found then very helpful although i did buy my DVP2 from the states when the exchange rate was much more favourable.

http://www.skyview.co.uk/dept1/acatalog/Skyview_Home.html

Hope you find it useful

Regards BU