Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snowless Lowland Europe

carinthian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Evening,

Just driven back from Salzburg. Saw no snow cover on lowland Europe including Englandand much of Germany. Never seen that before in the end of January. Plenty in the Alps above 1000m . Nothing on the plains. Weird.

C

post-3489-1232917548_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
Evening,

Just driven back from Salzburg. Saw no snow cover on lowland Europe including Englandand much of Germany. Never seen that before in the end of January. Plenty in the Alps above 1000m . Nothing on the plains. Weird.

C

Coincidently C i just posted NH snowcover map in the Cold and Snow thread.

Here it is again

Apart from W Europe that you mention, generally across the globe there`s plenty of snow elsewhere.

Typical of recent Winters here i guess.

When we had cold surface temps. we had dry Anticyclonic conditions.

Perhaps our turn will come in February.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

To be fair Germany has had lots and lots of snow this winter - was there nothing in the Munich area/Bavarian plains (or around the Chiemsee even?)

Also that map looks very dodgy - no snow in the Pyrenees or Scottish Highlands but seeming there is snow in the N Pennines and Southern Uplands?

Posted
Coincidently C i just posted NH snowcover map in the Cold and Snow thread.

Here it is again

Apart from W Europe that you mention, generally across the globe there`s plenty of snow elsewhere.

Typical of recent Winters here i guess.

When we had cold surface temps. we had dry Anticyclonic conditions.

Perhaps our turn will come in February.

Hi Phil,

Euro High has not been predominent this winter . High miosture levels have produced an abundance of snowfall over the Alps from the Alpes Maritimes (France/ Italy) through to the Eastern Alps, where I reside for much of the winter. However, again no snowfall over much of Western Europe lowland, even with more normal winter temperatures than for several years.Maybe, a good old fashioned Easterly regime can save the day.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer
To be fair Germany has had lots and lots of snow this winter - was there nothing in the Munich area/Bavarian plains (or around the Chiemsee even?)

Also that map looks very dodgy - no snow in the Pyrenees or Scottish Highlands but seeming there is snow in the N Pennines and Southern Uplands?

You can see the extent of the snow and ice better on this map:

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims_gif/DAT..._asiaeurope.gif

I'm sure we will have a totally different picture in a couple of weeks.

Posted

Yes Yeti, the map is dodgy, but gives a fair impression of what I have witnessed, just miles of green/ brown fields from Salzburg through to Munich, Stuggart into the Ruhr, Benelux lowlands and the whole of England as far North as the Cheshire Plain.

C

Posted

Thanks for that guys.

How odd there being no snow on the Bavarian plains at all, given that they are around 500-600m. I presume that the Drautal is snow-free also then at present, if the snowline is around 1000m?

Last March when I went, there was lots of snow on the Katschberg and Goldeck but this was mainly above about 1500m; the valleys were extremely springlike. I remember being in Klagenfurt and it was the warmest I had felt for some time!

Posted
Thanks for that guys.

How odd there being no snow on the Bavarian plains at all, given that they are around 500-600m. I presume that the Drautal is snow-free also then at present, if the snowline is around 1000m?

Last March when I went, there was lots of snow on the Katschberg and Goldeck but this was mainly above about 1500m; the valleys were extremely springlike. I remember being in Klagenfurt and it was the warmest I had felt for some time!

hi Yeti , did you stay in Katschi ? Klagenfurt must be one of the suuniest cities in Europe. Lots of winter sunshine and frost, but very little snowfall. Just like Manchester ?

C

Posted
hi Yeti , did you stay in Katschi ? Klagenfurt must be one of the suuniest cities in Europe. Lots of winter sunshine and frost, but very little snowfall. Just like Manchester ?

C

I stayed with some friends just between Spittal and Seeboden. I know the area really well and last summer we spent 4 weeks near Villach. Upper Drautal slightly nicer due to the proximity of the Hohe Tauern but Villach is the nicer town! The Faaker See is also the pearl of the lakes around there IMO, along with the Weissensee! :D

Yes Klagenfurt is very sunny, perhaps not as sunny as places like Almeria in SE Spain but it would do me. The Upper Drautal is much cloudier though; I remember the disappointment looking W every day in previous summers in Spittal and seeing all the Badewetter just hanging around over Klagenfurt. This year we're off to Villach again in the summer, no time for a winter break. Parents looking for teaching posts in Austria/Germany too...

Funnily enough I bet Klagenfurt isn't that much snowier than here, due to its being so dry. Manchester though is awful; I'd never live W of the Pennines unless I absolutely had too.

Posted
Evening,

C

I got back from Prague a week ago today, there was snow on the ground the entire week. Plus from the plain window you could see that all of the Czech Rep. and most of Germany had snow cover. Must have melted in the last week.

I'd never live W of the Pennines unless I absolutely had too.

Its not that bad!!

Posted
Its not that bad!!

It takes a lot to move a Yorkshireman to Lancashire :D:)

Posted
It takes a lot to move a Yorkshireman to Lancashire :D:)

Moved from manchester to Yorkshire 7 years ago believe me its very hard!!!!!!!!!

Posted

Yes I have spoken to friends in Augsburg, Germany and they say there has been little snow this year. There was quite a bit though at the start of Jan I think they said but lowland Europe has largely been snowless.

Posted
Evening,

C

Certainly more snowfall this season in my region of the Alps, in the Karten/Ost tirol than further north into Salzburgerland. 3 metres of the stuff in my village and just one hours drive north on the A10 Tauren motorway towards Salzburg then onto Munich, virtually nothing below 800m. Regarding Yetis hit at weather West of the Pennines, having lived in the East Riding of Yorkshire for 10 years, I know Cheshire has much more mellow summers than the harsh summer climate of the Wolds and Great Driffield! Years of playing cricket up there can vouch for that.

C

Edited by carinthian