Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Wales (cymru) And The South West

Cymro

Posted

If all the other regional ones get one so does Wales and the South West, And considering we don't have as many members as the others we will bunch together. So let's talk about the possibilities of Snow in this area. Currently looking very good but all can change. I expect Jackone will come and pay his remarks here. It's great we have a Welsh mod:)

Edited by adamjones416

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Come on you Somerset :D

Posted

Hehe i've never been to sommerset :D

Come on Carmarthenshire especially the Beacons. We are snow starved this year only had a dusting? Is this our best chance? Or will another winter blow away with nothing again :D

Posted
Will be gutted if back home in Dorset they get more snow than in Nottingham! :D

(And before anyone asks, Dorset is South West in my book)

Haha lol. I doubt that to be honest depends how hilly the area is in Dorset then again snow is likely to last longer in dorset as the upper air temps are cooler and the warmer air never really enrodes. It's normally the other way round so this is great:)

Posted

It's been ages since we had proper snow down here. I still can't believe we've got any chance, so even a dusting would be great.

Posted
I was thinking East Midlands, Humberside and South Yorks. What do you think, shall we?

South yorkshire, the midlands + central southern england

Posted

Well as we know the snow risk for the following areas is as follows

60% Blaenau Gwent

60% Bridgend

60% Caerphilly

60% Cardiff

60%Carmarthenshire

60% Conwy

60% Denbighshire

60% Flintshire

60% Merthyr Tydfil

60% Monmouthshire

60% Neath Port Talbot

60% Newport

60% Powys

60% Rhondda Cynon Taff

60% Swansea

60% Torfaen

60% Vale of Glamorgan

60% Wrexham

60% Bath + NE Somerset

60% Bournemouth

60% Bristol

60% Devon

60% Dorset

60% Gloucestershire

60% N Somerset

60% Poole

60% S Gloucestershire

60% Somerset

60% Swindon

60% Wiltshire

With the remaining areas in those regions having a moderate risk those being

Gwynedd,

Isle of Anglsey

Ceredigion

Pembrokeshire

Cornwall

Plymouth

Torbay

Heavy Snow 0000 Mon 2 1800 Tue 3

There is a High Risk of a Severe Weather event affecting much of England and Wales during Monday and Tuesday. Periods of snow will continue to extend westwards through Monday, with heavy falls likely in places. Although marked variations will occur from place to place, 5-10cm likely locally with as much as 10-20cm possible, especially over higher ground. Drifting will occur in fresh to strong easterly winds. This could cause disruption to travel networks, especially across higher level routes.

During Tuesday, snow is likely to turn to rain from the east, except over higher ground.

This Early Warning will be updated at around 11:00 on Sunday 1st February 2009.

Issued at: 1133 Sat 31 Jan

Remeber this is likely to change

Posted
I think we're in a really good position to be honest, I'm expecting 3-8cm.

CMON GURT BRISTOL

See I want to think the same it's just with all the let downs I'm kinda scared of being disappointed, After all this winter the area that we are talking about here is probably the most Snow starved wouldn't you agree? Although we have done well in the past but in the past 2 years it's been relatively poor, Well for my area at least.

Posted
South yorkshire, the midlands + central southern england

Well, my opinion is Herts to Lincs should be part of East Midlands, Oxfordshire to Cheshire as West Midlands and Hampshire should go in the south east group.

Looking at the most recent charts, it seems there is a chance of snow on Sunday night in to Monday, but this is a bit doubtful, snow showers will continue through Monday, with accumulations on hills. At this stage the main event seems to be Monday night into Tuesday, due to the fact that we seem to be in the cold sector, it seems likely that it will stay as snow throughout Tuesday morning.

Accumulations seem likely with the Met office going for 2 to 4 inches of snow, and some places will see this especially on hills and inland, but this is possible anywhere across the region.

Some higher hills, may get the 4-8 inches predicted higher amount by the met office.

During Tuesday the snow may turn a but sleety on lower ground, thawing some of the snow here, but further accumulations are possible on hills.

However as we all know things can change quickly both for the better and worse, so no guarantees are available.

Posted
Can swindon join in too? :D

SWINDON FOR SNOW PRESIDENT!

I would say that's more a midlands area rather than a South West?

Posted
I would say that's more a midlands area rather than a South West?

It's part of the south west on the MetO and on the bbc ;)

I'm only 40 miles from bristol!

Edited by slinky1989

Posted
See I want to think the same it's just with all the let downs I'm kinda scared of being disappointed, After all this winter the area that we are talking about here is probably the most Snow starved wouldn't you agree? Although we have done well in the past but in the past 2 years it's been relatively poor, Well for my area at least.

Yeah definately one of the most snow starved. I don't want to jinx it but we'd have to be extremely unlucky not to see anything from this setup at this stage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Hey all

fingers crossed from this one, the snow level seems to have risen here in the last 2 years, before that we routinely had a good dumping in Feb, lets see if this year can reverse that trend!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I know I am a bit biased but I seriously think that the south west could be amongst the best places to be during this snowy spell. Eastern areas will receive more sleet/rain than we will.

Posted

Oh rite i wasn't sure lol, Well my gran was born in Swindon although she was Welsh, so i guess of course can ;) lol.

And yes we are the most snow starved before we would atleast guarantee 6days of lying snow here in my part of the world ok with 2005/6 recording 26 but 2007 only managed 3 and 2008 only managed 2, 2009 so far has had one covering and a dusting so say 2. Very poor comparing to 05/06 because we were already on our 15 day of snow cover by this time last year. Let's see now if this spell can buck the trend I sincerely hope so. I'm so envious of Yorkshire and Aberdeen at times.

Posted
I know I am a bit biased but I seriously think that the south west could be amongst the best places to be during this snowy spell. Eastern areas will receive more sleet/rain than we will.

Not really biased thats just what the charts show. ;)

The east will most likely get the heavier of falls, but turning to sleet and rain more quickly. Whereas I should imagine the south west will hold onto the snow a while longer, just not as heavy.

Posted

Hi! :)

So whats the latest for south east wales? Are we in for a good lot of snow? I'd love to have a 'heads up' on whether I'm going to have to book Tuesday off work!!

Posted
Haha lol. I doubt that to be honest depends how hilly the area is in Dorset then again snow is likely to last longer in dorset as the upper air temps are cooler and the warmer air never really enrodes. It's normally the other way round so this is great:)

It will probably fall better, but then go quicker. Just the way. At school (near Blandford Forum) they always used to say it would get cut off once every 8 years. I hope they have a chance this year, because they are well overdue! :) They are 120m asl in a valley though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Thought id add the Met Office updated outlook for Monday to Wednesday for Wales and The South West.

Wales:

A very wintry few days with snow at times, with the risk of some heavy falls of snow on any given day, especially over high ground. Perhaps less cold Wednesday.

Updated: 1409 on Sat 31 Jan 2009

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/...st_weather.html

South West England:

Snow in many places Monday and Tuesday, locally heavy falls over the Moors, but less cold air is likely to bring a slow thaw later on Tuesday and during Wednesday. Updated: 1409 on Sat 31 Jan 2009

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/...st_weather.html

Looks promising at the moment i must say :)

Jamie