Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Wales (cymru) And The South West

Cymro

Posted

I already imaging my disappointment over the next couple of days when the snow risk disappears. It always happens here, I'm very unlucky. So far though, it's quite exciting seeing a Snow warning from the MetO. We shall wait and see but I'm not expecting much.

Posted
I already imaging my disappointment over the next couple of days when the snow risk disappears. It always happens here, I'm very unlucky. So far though, it's quite exciting seeing a Snow warning from the MetO. We shall wait and see but I'm not expecting much.

Paid a becso nawr Shaun mae'n whanol tro yma i'r amseroedd o'r blaen, (Don't worry now)

Yes i didn't see that update well that clearly implies that there will be lying snow in the South West because you need snow to to thaw:D lol and very wntry sums it up well for Wales. I have a feeling this may be a good event for everyone i just find it rather unbelievable that it's such a widespread event which leads me to think surly they must be covering themselves because not everywhere in those warning areas can possibly have snow can they surly?

Posted

As i live in Plymouth, 190ft asl its really all about timings. Between midnight and 9am, Plymouth may get snow.

Where as the rest of the country will be looking at the rain/radar charts over Monday and Tuesday, the first one I always check is the temperature. Realisically to get below 1oc in Plymouth, with cloud is very rare. This would maybe would happen just once or twice in an average winter.

My genuine guess would be sleet for Plymouth, and Snow 400+ ft asl. Quantities; if temperatures around 2-3oc = 8-10mm of rain, if it will be cold enough for snow, we will get 5cm of snow.

You cant honestly believe how many times i have witnessed very heavy rain at 2 to 3oc in Plymouth. Its a bit of a joke really!

However, I actually work a few miles further in land, at 540ft asl, so i am actually looking forward to going to work on monday and tuesday! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I can't help but smirk just a little at the prospect of eastern areas turning to sleety rain and western snow starved areas coming out better for once.

we have a great chance of seeing our first snow event this winter :)

It might not even turn to rain at 300m on tue/wed?

Posted

What's bugging me is the latest Met's warning. Everyone has had their warning upgraded today except west wales and SW England. Is this because they expect it to be dry or they expect rain?

As i live in Plymouth, 190ft asl its really all about timings. Between midnight and 9am, Plymouth may get snow.

Where as the rest of the country will be looking at the rain/radar charts over Monday and Tuesday, the first one I always check is the temperature. Realisically to get below 1oc in Plymouth, with cloud is very rare. This would maybe would happen just once or twice in an average winter.

My genuine guess would be sleet for Plymouth, and Snow 400+ ft asl. Quantities; if temperatures around 2-3oc = 8-10mm of rain, if it will be cold enough for snow, we will get 5cm of snow.

You cant honestly believe how many times i have witnessed very heavy rain at 2 to 3oc in Plymouth. Its a bit of a joke really!

However, I actually work a few miles further in land, at 540ft asl, so i am actually looking forward to going to work on monday and tuesday! :)

Well already this winter Plymouth has seen some very cold weather, so in conjunction with this, things are very promising.

KYT Tom i think West Wales has not been updated is that there is a very slightly lesser risk further west, Personally I think the far SW of Wales, is likely to do quite well.

Posted
What's bugging me is the latest Met's warning. Everyone has had their warning upgraded today except west wales and SW England. Is this because they expect it to be dry or they expect rain?

What do you mean Carmarthenshire is in the Warning zone:D

I guess you live in Penfro? Ceredigion?

Jackone beth yw eich barn chi nawr am fy ardal i ?

(What is your opinion now on my area)

Things have changed since haven't they?

I'll put my latest thoughts on the 12s tonight and perhaps more especially the Fax for Monday and Tuesday.

Posted
I'll put my latest thoughts on the 12s tonight and perhaps more especially the Fax for Monday and Tuesday.

Ok gwych, Great

Things can still very much change see can't they

Posted

Yep on the ceredigion coast Aberporth, approximately 43cm ASL :)

Having a wisdom tooth out in Abertstwyth at 2 on Tuesday, desperately hoping that gets snowed off!

Edited by KTtom

Posted
Yep on the ceredigion coast Aberporth, approximately 43cm ASL :)

Having a wisdom tooth out in Abertstwyth at 2 on Tuesday, desperately hoping that gets snowed off!

Oh yes, Ti'n siarad Cymraeg? (anw that has nothing to do with weather but still)

And oh i hate the dentist i always find a way to avoid it lol. Plus my dentist is completely useless

Well don't be too disheartened you could be in for something just slightly lesser risk but there is still a risk and this could be upgraded at any time. Taking into account the warnings for my area could be degraded so all isn't set in stone never is.

Posted
Can swindon join in too? ;)

SWINDON FOR SNOW PRESIDENT!

When I was growing up, in Devon, I always thought that Swindon was a big industrial town oop North! :)

Posted

Unusually the Southwest seems to be one of the highest-risk areas for snow, presumably as the air to west and north of the Low Pressure is colder than to south and east.

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted
And oh i hate the dentist i always find a way to avoid it lol. Plus my dentist is completely useless

Whose your dentist? (sorry for off-topic :) )

What time will the PPN reach here Monday and will it be snow when it does?

Posted

Difficult situation.

If it snows and your appointment is cancelled, then you'll have to go through the anguish of another approaching appointment later on, although you will have the snow. :mellow:

On the other hand, if it doesn't snow, you'll get the appointment out of the way, but you won't have any snow. :(

The best thing would be to have the snow AND the appointment, then the delights of the snow will help with the misery of the dental appointment! :)

Hope it all works out OK. :D

Posted
Whose your dentist? (sorry for off-topic :D )

What time will the PPN reach here Monday and will it be snow when it does?

Haha Tiroced dentist and he also as a practice in Cross hands? Can't think of his name he used to be in Llandybie hehe

And i Would rather snow on both appointments hehe i hate the dentist he never does any good to my teeth i can tell you that now.

It is rather unusual that we are in one of the best positions for snow now wheras before it Was East East East, Hence maybe why this topic is quite lenghty aswell don't you think? But let's see

But hey let's just talk about dentists and snow :mellow:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.
Accumulations seem likely with the Met office going for 2 to 4 inches of snow, and some places will see this especially on hills and inland, but this is possible anywhere across the region.

Oh great and i have my theory driving test on Tuesday Morning!! :mellow:

Posted
Oh great and i have my theory driving test on Tuesday Morning!! :mellow:

Oh dear, Where is it around Swansea? Ammanford Way? you best of hoping it's towards swansea way down the low ground, Some people round here do they're theory in Swansea and i know some Swansea people do theire theory up here so wondering that's all. Well if it snows heavy it will be cancelled sure thing.

Posted
Oh dear, Where is it around Swansea? Ammanford Way? you best of hoping it's towards swansea way down the low ground, Some people round here do they're theory in Swansea and i know some Swansea people do theire theory up here so wondering that's all. Well if it snows heavy it will be cancelled sure thing.

Off-Topic but Swansea city area, a much lower area than where i live, if there is snow, i will have to leave earlier because my test starts at 8.30am

Posted
Off-Topic but Swansea city area, a much lower area than where i live, if there is snow, i will have to leave earlier because my test starts at 8.30am

Yes but as the snow really starts in the night and if there is lying snow in the city centre i doubt very much that you will do your test it would be prosponed surly?

Posted
Yes but as the snow really starts in the night and if there is lying snow in the city centre i doubt very much that you will do your test it would be prosponed surly?

All depends on how much snow falls! If there is heavy snow, i will do my best to get there, if i cant get there i will just have to ring them, but there maybe know one there anyway!! :mellow:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I still say, I believe it when I see it.

As some have said, we have got to be the most snow starved area in the Country.

If this snow event happens like it is showing at the moment, it could be the most snow I have seen in Weston since the 80's.

Thats how snow starved we vhave been.

Posted

Lol, I just went on Weatheronline and they seem to think that the most accumulation will be in Wales and the West Midlands. But they do seem to have a Wales and West Midlands bias i have noticed anyway? Is there any reason for this? Are they're forecast to be takent? with a pinch of salt or what?

Posted

Well if it snows here, I will be ramping,about the way the snow-dome finally collapsed, After 12 years of wear and tear. :mellow:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

It will make such a nice change to get snow down here; not counting my chickens though, usually amounts to nowt around here.

Quick question - how high is the METO definition of high ground?