Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Nw England

Spurry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Well , i was feeling a bit left out so i thought i'd start one for this part of the world...

No doubt higher ground and the pennines will get a dumping , but as is normally the case the liverpool bay coastal area across to Wigan will hardly get any ,but 5 miles further east (Bolton/Horwich etc) and North (Chorley/Preston)will get a covering :D

Posted
Well , i was feeling a bit left out so i thought i'd start one for this part of the world...

No doubt higher ground and the pennines will get a dumping , but as is normally the case the liverpool bay coastal area across to Wigan will hardly get any ,but 5 miles further east (Bolton/Horwich etc) and North (Chorley/Preston)will get a covering :D

Good idea. Hale South Manchester near airport so I can update. Glorious at the mo,7c

Edited by cheshire cat

Posted
Good idea. Hale South Manchester near airport so I can update. Glorious at the mo,7c

My garden weather station is currently reading 9.4c , i can't believe it's so mild

Posted
My garden weather station is currently reading 9.4c , i can't believe it's so mild

Should be perfect for fast surface for tonights match as temps drop.

See you are a toffee so its got to be two nil united

Edited by cheshire cat

Posted
Should be perfect for fast surface for tonights match as temps drop.

See you are a toffee so its got to be two nil united

It's been really bitter this morning standing out for 2 hrs , but out of the wind it's ok ...yes i am a toffee, we're on a good run but i can't see us getting much tonight to be honest...but who knows ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

have a feeling that we will get a major dumping from this event

we usually do well with snow from the east and our altitude often helps with it staying as snow.

could be something memorable coming in the next few days.

anyhow off to Turf Moor now to half freeze to death.

Tuesday's cup replay could involve an interesting jurney over the tops for me

Posted

we usually do well with snow from the east and our altitude often helps with it staying as snow.

Yes , you're more likely where you are to get a good covering ,especially considering your altitude ...anything from the east tends to get eaten up by the pennines so never really makes it over here to pieland...but i'll remian hopeful

Posted

Lets hope its a good one, I would love to see proper Bacup snow that I keep seeing on photos. I have only lived here for 5 yearsand we've had some pretty good snow, but nothing that's ever stopped me going to work or getting out of the house.

Shadowfax

Posted

There could be a lot of variety in the NOrthwest with some areas seeing very large falls and being elevated enough to be unaffected by milder air and other area seeing a dusting or nothing at all. Will be very interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.
There could be a lot of variety in the NOrthwest with some areas seeing very large falls and being elevated enough to be unaffected by milder air and other area seeing a dusting or nothing at all. Will be very interesting.

Agreed ST - just to see flakes falling will be good here. The bonus would be if it stays and accumulates!! As an exiled Plymouth Argyle fan I will be seeing them against Preston at Deepdale Tues evening so will be interesting to see micro-regional variations. Of course, if I can't get out of St Annes because of snow I won't mind going to the match at a later date!

Good luck to everyone in the NW!

Posted

From experience on Easterlies, we are usually on the unaffected side of the pennines for much snow to push through to our parts (I can take a 5min drive up to the Saddleworth hills and things can be very different there), but from what I can gather from the forecasts, there could be a more organised band of wintry stuff which might just have enough energy to take on the pennines and deposit some of the white stuff through Monday/Tuesday. Still we won't know until it's down too radar watching lol

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

I WANT SNOW! I WANT SNOW!

IF I DON'T GET IT,SOMEONES GONNA PAY.

STUFFY SOUTHERNERS! YOUR ALL TOO SOFT TO VENTURE OUT IN IT ANYWAY, AND WILL STAY IN, AND WATCH IT FROM THE COMFORT OF YOUR NEGATIVE EQUITY HOUSES.... :mellow:

Posted

8cm and over forecast on the tops for Sunday, Monday into Tuesday. There will be significant drifting and I wouldnt be too surprised to see the passes closed, the M62 blocked in parts and cancellations on the Manchester-Sheffield railway line.

Up to 24 hours of constant snowfall will hit the region starting Sunday 1500 ending monday 1800.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

have to agrre iand, we usually pick up plenty off the pennines, so I'm still confidant we'll see a fun few days :)

Posted
8cm and over forecast on the tops for Sunday, Monday into Tuesday. There will be significant drifting and I wouldnt be too surprised to see the passes closed, the M62 blocked in parts and cancellations on the Manchester-Sheffield railway line.

Up to 24 hours of constant snowfall will hit the region starting Sunday 1500 ending monday 1800.

I,ll do a deal with you , you post some pics of the snow and i'll post some of the rain/sleet/dry landscape here in Wigan :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters

Hopefully monday night and tuesday morn will bring some wintry showers to the area which would be nice considering i haven't seen any in 3 years here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

In this setup Merseyside would be cold enough to get snow, Manchester will probably only get light snow due to the Pennines. Wirral here struggles to get precipitation from whichever direction at times, so I think any snow will have died out over the peninsula by that time. North Merseyside and Lancashire should see some flurries should it still occur.

Posted

In this case it is really difficult to predict how much snowfall the nw of England.

I really do believe that after sw england we are the second worst location for significant snow in england (not the UK.) Each year some areas do experience either light snow showers giving a covering that may last a day at most or snow preceeded by rain coming from the west after a period of cold conditions. Sad really.

Posted

I,ll do a deal with you , you post some pics of the snow and i'll post some of the rain/sleet/dry landscape here in Wigan

:lol: thats a deal lol, with myself being at 688ft and surrounded by hills that are well over 1300ft in height im pretty confident of seeing substantial snowfall if the GFS is giving 5cm of snow to fall on the low lying areas south of the Peak District with just 21 hours to go before the event starts. 8cm is forecast to fall here but in all likelyhood im confident it'll be a lot more locally, given we have a lot of open-space areas that are prone to drifting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
Lets hope its a good one, I would love to see proper Bacup snow that I keep seeing on photos. I have only lived here for 5 yearsand we've had some pretty good snow, but nothing that's ever stopped me going to work or getting out of the house.

Shadowfax

i think you would have to go back to February 1991 for the last proper Bacup snow,

Burnley road was dug out to single track up to Weir village with 6 foot banks of snow piled at either side.

those were the days but if my memory is correct, even that went within less than a week.

you have to go back to the early 80's for decent falls that stuck around.

Posted
I,ll do a deal with you , you post some pics of the snow and i'll post some of the rain/sleet/dry landscape here in Wigan

:cold: thats a deal lol, with myself being at 688ft and surrounded by hills that are well over 1300ft in height im pretty confident of seeing substantial snowfall if the GFS is giving 5cm of snow to fall on the low lying areas south of the Peak District with just 21 hours to go before the event starts. 8cm is forecast to fall here but in all likelyhood im confident it'll be a lot more locally, given we have a lot of open-space areas that are prone to drifting.

I'd better get my camera batteries charged then...

Good luck , hope you see a good dumping :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

To be fair who knows what will happen, it's unchartered territory for us in the northwest of England to get a band of moderate snow from the east, the chance of almost certain snow and to be honest I'm starting to get a little excited by this as it's in a mostly reliable timeframe.

Posted
In this case it is really difficult to predict how much snowfall the nw of England.

I really do believe that after sw england we are the second worst location for significant snow in england (not the UK.) Each year some areas do experience either light snow showers giving a covering that may last a day at most or snow preceeded by rain coming from the west after a period of cold conditions. Sad really.

I have to agree , i've lived up here for the last 20yrs and i've seen very little snow , the first 27 yrs of my life were in Birmingham and i can recall some major snow events in that time , and according to my dad they still get snow when we get bu***r all up here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
To be fair who knows what will happen, it's unchartered territory for us in the northwest of England to get a band of moderate snow from the east, the chance of almost certain snow and to be honest I'm starting to get a little excited by this as it's in a mostly reliable timeframe.

Not completely uncharted though, I seem to remember at some point in Feb 05 a band of heavy snow from the east, that brought 6 inches here.

Edited by James M