Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Nw England

Spurry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
Not completely uncharted though, I seem to remember at some point in Feb 05 a band of heavy snow from the east, that brought 6 inches here.

You're always going to get snow up in Saddleworth ,but down here it's a different story :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Not completely uncharted though, I seem to remember at some point in Feb 05 a band of heavy snow from the east, that brought 6 inches here.

It's fairly rare though. I can't remember getting any snow from that, but this one appears to be coming from the SE so being on a ridge facing southeast, so the chance is there. Much of the lower region and western region west of high ground/pennines, this is pretty rare. I suppose you're quite lucky being where you are James and hopefully you'll get a good dumping of snow :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
You're always going to get snow up in Saddleworth ,but down here it's a different story :)

I see your point but even my gran down in Manchester got a good few inches on that occasion, hopefully though you will get something at lower levels this time.

Posted
What about us in between Stoke and Crewe? we are kind of in the Northwest so do you think we may see any Snow?

Naaah youre more kinda in the midlands! becouse you'll get a better chance for snow there.

Posted
What about us in between Stoke and Crewe? we are kind of in the Northwest so do you think we may see any Snow?

I think you'll do better than us , because you don't have that much high ground to the east of you, i know that the peak disrict is east but i think you may do ok

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
It's fairly rare though. I can't remember getting any snow from that, but this one appears to be coming from the SE so being on a ridge facing southeast, so the chance is there. Much of the lower region and western region west of high ground/pennines, this is pretty rare. I suppose you're quite lucky being where you are James and hopefully you'll get a good dumping of snow :)

Yeah I suppose it is and my view is slightly skewed somewhat being up here. That's why I like living in Saddleworth though we seem to get the best of both worlds, just high enough up and not too far south to get a decent amount of snow and not too far north to be quite warm in summer.

Edited by James M

Posted
I see your point but even my gran down in Manchester got a good few inches on that occasion, hopefully though you will get something at lower levels this time.

I hope you're right... and by the way i hope your gran gets a good few inches as well :) in fact i hope everyone's gran gets a good few inches tonight :)

Posted

Hey guys. Bitterly cold out there tonight, brrr. Trying not to get my hopes up about the snow prospects but am still crossing everything, just in case. In the time I've lived in Nantwich it's been very poor here for snow, too low, but you just never know... I must admit I'll be terribly disappointed if we don't see any!

Good luck everyone!

Posted

Yeah but your on higher ground so will always got more than the majority of people who live on low lying ground.

Its quite obvious.

Posted
their was a blizzard in stockpot today around 3pm

Who told you that? do you mean Stockholm?

Yeah but your on higher ground so will always got more than the majority of people who live on low lying ground.

Its quite obvious.

I know that, I was just saying it does happen occasionally and on that occasion even low ground.

Edited by James M

Posted
:):)

:):)

Posted
Who told you that? do you mean Stockholm?

Haha that one made me chuckle!!

Yeah I think Saddleworth will get a good dumping. I hate to say it but most parts of the north west (away from high ground) will be lucky to get a covering up to a cm or two. So sorry guys but were just not in the right part of the country.

Gutted.

Posted
Not a good example, James. That did turn to rain/sleet at lower levels, the Feb 05 one.

Oh right, I was going off what happened at my grans, how high up is Failsworth?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

really wild night here now,

winds as strong as i've seen all winter.

we often get high winds from an easterly direction and tonight is no exception.

this wind and Monday's forecast snow would certainly make for an interesting journey too and from work

Posted

ian just want too say that as far as the nw is concerned I think you are in the best poition for decent snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
ian just want too say that as far as the nw is concerned I think you are in the best poition for decent snowfall.

i do agree that we are probably in the best position in NW England to benefit from this potential snow event.

however i also think that you are spot on with your earlier post that the North West in general does very poor when it comes to snow.

although i am certainly no expert on these matters, i do feel that the main reason we do so poorly compared to other areas and to our own regions winters of the past is the lack of frontal snow events.

in winters past, we seemed to get huge amounts, compared to recent years anyway of snow before it even thought about turning to rain.

now we are lucky if it even starts as snow.

maybe one of the experts on here could shed light on the reasons for this change and appologies mods if this belongs somewhere else

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.
I hate to say it but most parts of the north west (away from high ground) will be lucky to get a covering up to a cm or two. So sorry guys but were just not in the right part of the country.

Gutted.

Can't we wait until after whatever we get for such emotional words as 'gutted'. Personally I am positive but realistic. You may be right H*S - the odds are that other places will get more. When my team Plymouth played Arsenal in the cup it didn't stop 9000 Argyle fans going to the Emirates! :) Gutted now? No - just ready to lampost watch with a realistic head! :) Gutted if there is only 0.5cm or less? No, cos I'm used to that anyway! It's a win-win situation really if you approach it like that - an attitude I've learnt to develop over several years.

Posted
Oh right, I was going off what happened at my grans, how high up is Failsworth?

It's between 95-100m asl

I come down from 190m asl to 45m asl on my weekday commute from Oldham to Manchester, and you can start off with snow depths of a couple of cm's (twice so far this winter), and you end up in Manchester and it's either turned to slush or there is barely a trace of wintryness on the ground. Hopefully even low lying area's will see some snow over the next few days :nonono:

Posted
Can't we wait until after whatever we get for such emotional words as 'gutted'. Personally I am positive but realistic. You may be right H*S - the odds are that other places will get more. When my team Plymouth played Arsenal in the cup it didn't stop 9000 Argyle fans going to the Emirates! :nonono: Gutted now? No - just ready to lampost watch with a realistic head! :( Gutted if there is only 0.5cm or less? No, cos I'm used to that anyway! It's a win-win situation really if you approach it like that - an attitude I've learnt to develop over several years.

Sorry no offence meant - It was a tongue in cheek remark to be fair, If you look at my posts since I joined a couple of days ago:

(1) I have always played down what the north west will get in terms of snowfall.

(2) Given honest and realistic accounts and views based on my personal knowledge and most iportantly- experience.

(3) Not begrudged those in more favourable locations to myself.

(4) Constantly reminded people not to get carried away with snow depths, chances, etc until just before the event takes place.

(5) Tried to be light hearted and friendly - trying to enjoy what is a rare time.

Let's stay focused guys and try to enjoy what enfolds before us,

Hot*Snow