Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Nw England

Spurry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.
Sorry no offence meant - It was a tongue in cheek remark to be fair, If you look at my posts since I joined a couple of days ago:

Hot*Snow

No offence taken pal - glad to have someone else from Lancs here tbh! Sorry if you thought I was having a go - I've been bemoaning the nw's lack of snow since 2003 when I joined the forum and probably should have borne the lack-of-snow factor in mind before we moved here! I totally agree with the need to stay light-hearted in these situations. Good luck for these week mate. :shok:

Posted
No offence taken pal - glad to have someone else from Lancs here tbh! Sorry if you thought I was having a go - I've been bemoaning the nw's lack of snow since 2003 when I joined the forum and probably should have borne the lack-of-snow factor in mind before we moved here! I totally agree with the need to stay light-hearted in these situations. Good luck for these week mate. :shok:

I was thinking that there are'nt many lancashire based forummers here. Suprising considering the density of population. Totally agree wih you mate it can be really frustrating in the north west at times. Weve had so many promising situations in the past that have never produced. Easterlies that never get over the pennines, northerlies that for some beknown reason completely avoid us altogether, weak north westerlies fronts that produce minimal ppn, or mild sectors that turn snow to rain!

I'l stick my neck out and say this is slightly more promising than usual - purely due to the fact that this has been a noticeably colder winter in comparison to recent years.

Edited by Hot*Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

We rarely get rain from a westerly never mind an easterly here, but it will be interesting to see what happens hopefully it will result in a covering of snow, but if not it will be a dry and cold affair.

Posted
We rarely get rain from a westerly never mind an easterly here, but it will be interesting to see what happens hopefully it will result in a covering of snow, but if not it will be a dry and cold affair.

I know i'm sating the obvious but this time tomorrow things will be a lot clearer.

Posted
I know i'm sating the obvious but this time tomorrow things will be a lot clearer.

Hot*Snow, surely if things aren't a lot clearer tomorrow, won't that be a good thing...... :doh:

Edited by Hail Seizer

Posted

I have just been out to feed the horse, the wind is very strong, all the ponds and puddles are frozen and there are snow grains blowing in the wind, all we need is some real precipitation and off we go!!

Shadowfax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Looking forward to seeing what happens today, already the odd snow grain blowing about in the wind.

Posted

Just checked the BBC 5 day forecast and its changed overnight, to the most days of snow I have seen predicted in a while for around here...http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2613

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

As it goes, the dewpoint maybe too marginal for snow here if the GFS is correct for tomorrow night. It's whether you believe the GFS or not though.

I have no opinion at this stage, but even so western coastal districts may struggle to see any snow because of the Peak District breaking the band up, we'll have to wait til the day to get an idea though, even today (the day before the event) we have no real idea.

Posted

hi everybody,

the countryfile weather was the best i've ever seen! Significant upgrade in terms of precipitation. They showed a lot of snow showers crossing the Pennines in the latter part of today and especially tonight! Yes, the heaviest stuff will be to the east of the Pennines but even ith some moderate falls we should get a nice covering by the morning, helped by the sub zero temperatures.

Then heavy snowfall from the southeast moving north tomorrow late afternoon will bring some heaier snow and we should avoid the noisance of sleet or rain according to the forecast. In fact the forecaster didn't nebtion anything else apart from snow for this event!

Dry on Tuesday with 3c so some slow thaw but still hopefully with plenty of snowcover left. After that a wintry mix was shown in places with a stalling front over the midlands. Of course, the exact position of front and precipitation for later in the week is not decided yet.

The wintry theme continues for the end of the week with fronts from the north bringing a wintry mix.

All and all, a classic countryfile forecast.

Currently here, it is turning cloudy agai after a sunny slot. There is band of light snowfall on the Pennines and i expect to see a few flakes in the wind here in a bit. But as i said above, the heavier snow showers won't affect us till much later.

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Another little flurry here now, I'm begging to get quite hopeful, if these little flurries can get over the Pennines then it bodes well for later on.

Posted

Thanks for the update karyo, I missed the countryfile forecast. Overcast here now, after quite a sunny start to the morning, any precipitation would surely be snow, because it's bloody freezing lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Another little flurry here now, I'm begging to get quite hopeful, if these little flurries can get over the Pennines then it bodes well for later on.

If you've been watching the sat images you'll have seen the cloud cover 'vent' open from the 10a.m. to the 11a.m. to our west, I think this shows where you'll be 'in the snow' or copping for a reduced amount of snow as the air drops off the western edge of the pennines and warms.

Posted

Nice Karyo lets hope its not downgraded as the day goes on. I'd be aiming to beat my depth of 2006.

Though we may not get much snow here in the northwest, when we do get a proper band, it is usually quite something so look forward to it :D

Posted

South East thread going mental lol, many are reporting snow already falling. (our time will come, fingers crossed)

Posted
If you've been watching the sat images you'll have seen the cloud cover 'vent' open from the 10a.m. to the 11a.m. to our west, I think this shows where you'll be 'in the snow' or copping for a reduced amount of snow as the air drops off the western edge of the pennines and warms.

Oh yeah I see what you mean, still I think we'll see a fair few making it even if they're not as heavy.

Posted

Hi all us North Westeners :rolleyes: Thought I best post something as we're all being very quiet at the moment compared to the other threads.

In terms of our snow prospects I expect to see some snow flurries...hopefully more than that though but you just never can tell here can you.

Posted

I've just looked at these images and see what you are saying, I think we are still in for snow here, high enough up to stay cold. It has been trying to snow all morning, is gone very dark here and we have very light snow/grains falling.

Shadowfax

Posted
I've just looked at these images and see what you are saying, I think we are still in for snow here, high enough up to stay cold. It has been trying to snow all morning, is gone very dark here and we have very light snow/grains falling.

Shadowfax

One thing it could be is the low cloud before the sunshine and showers type which are still out in the North Sea, when we've had cloudy easterlies before that's what happens. I'm hoping when the showers arrive it'll be a different story, although I won't expect much in the way of heavy showers, our best chance is the front on Mon night/Tues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

countryfile forecast mentioned 30-40cm over The Pennines by mid week

can't see that happening in our part of them but if it did then surely we would be looking at major travel problems with most, if not all roads over the tops closed possibly including the M62.

whether this event lives up to its true potential on not; i still feel that we are looking at a snow storm of the like not seen for many years - possibly a generation.

Posted

yep a few light flakes in the breeze at the moment. derbyshire but right on the borders of cheshire.

can't see that happening in our part of them but if it did then surely we would be looking at major travel problems with most, if not all roads over the tops closed possibly including the M62.

whether this event lives up to its true potential on not; i still feel that we are looking at a snow storm of the like not seen for many years - possibly a generation.

Its the wind that’s the thing strong wind and that means drifting, drifts block roads, you get a weird situation with little snow on the roads but pilled up against anything it hits.

Posted

Febuary 1991 brought depths in excess of that around here. But it also brought a foot of snow in London! I was staying London at the time and it was quite a surprise to everyone and everything came to a standstill, came home for the weekend and everything seemed to be as normal but even deeper snow!

This could be a very snowy week for parts of the northwest and not just the high ground.

Edited by snowingtequila

Posted

Yep, also confirming light snow grains falling in the wind. You're right, the wind can make all the difference with heavy falling snow. Whiteouts, blizzards, drifting.... let's just say you wouldn't want to be caught short on the very tops of the pennines over the next few days.