Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Nw England

Spurry

Posted

ha done that b4 now ,the wind blew the boot shut and locked us out the car had 2 get aa ha wownt be doing that again? got stand out at sons footy match inbit its freezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing ? <_<

Posted

Yep grains been falling here ever since I got up (parents said it started snowing once I woken so it must have started no earlier than 12.20) anyway its good to see the showers are advecting West as predicted on the GFS model as predicted for this time, which bodes well for later tonight and tomorrow when the main event begins.

Posted

Light snow falling here as well. It bodes well for later as this is just a light band of precipitation and it still made it over the Pennines.

Karyo

Edited by karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

currently 0.6'C here with very light snow grains falling

wind has died down a touch so doesn't feel as bitter as it did earlier this morning

last night was one of the windiest i have known for quite some time.

that wind coupled with the potential snow amounts and we'll be digging out from the bedroom windows. LOL!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The meto warning are quite strange..

Basically the northwest of England are left out of the 'daily' warnings until Wednesday when it will have turned to rain.. I wonder what the thinking is behind that?

Anyway nothing here just patchy cloud at the moment, with no snow falling.

As I see it, temperatures aren't going to be a problem for the next couple of days for all altitudes though increasingly marginal for low ground later in the week.

I expect Pennine and Peak District areas will get a pasting from the showers and the frontal snow, simple.

Further west on the low ground a heavy fall is in the balance. From experience, if the showers are purely convectional we normally get very little so they need to be more organised with troughs.

Then with the front from the south, there is very often a hole in the snowfall where the easterly wind over the Pennines subsides enough to dampen uplift. This can often be seen on the radar images when the precipitation appears to 'bifurcate' with heavy snow to the east, and over north Wales and Irish Sea, while for those like myself in the middle it stays mostly dry.

This seems to happen too often! The main exception I can remember was February '94. That is such a long time ago!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

just had some hail mixed in with heavier snow, that was in stalybridge, still light for now though.happy days !!

Posted
Yep grains been falling here ever since I got up (parents said it started snowing once I woken so it must have started no earlier than 12.20) anyway its good to see the showers are advecting West as predicted on the GFS model as predicted for this time, which bodes well for later tonight and tomorrow when the main event begins.

Ha ha snap whaley bridge as well although I suspect I've a few more years than you, flakes a bit bigger now drifting around like feathers on the breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Coming down heavier here with larger flakes :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters

I know its dangerous chasing snow blobs on the BBC but i couldn't resist, according to that Lancashire and much of the north west stays snow-free throughout this period but i do find it very hard to trust this so ive had a go at my own ratings of the NW chances of snow in the next 2-3 days; 85% West Yorkshire, 80% Derbyshire, 70% Cheshire + G Manchester, 60% East Lancs, 40% Merseyside + Rest of Lancashire and Cumbria. The affect of the pennines could spoil the party for a number of us in terms of a decent dumping. Anyway these will probably be all wrong by monday so good luck to everyone.

It's 4.8 degs up here atm, positively tropical.

Edited by Cric_lancster

Posted

I have to say this is turning out much better than expected! The bbc local forecast was going for a dry day with plenty of bright spells.

We are only getting light flurries at the moment but it is so important that they make it over the Pennines. Yorkshire and Lincolnshire ae starting to get heavy snow showers so hopefully some moderate falls for us in the next few hours.

Worth watching the satellite as well - it shows the speckled clouds over the North sea getting more organised as the colder upper air digs in.

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

its a balmy 5C here at the moment :lol: so any snow will probably melt on impact with the ground if it were to fall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
I know its dangerous chasing snow blobs on the BBC but i couldn't resist, according to that Lancashire and much of the north west stays snow-free throughout this period but i do find it very hard to trust this so ive had a go at my own ratings of the NW chances of snow in the next 2-3 days; 85% West Yorkshire, 80% Derbyshire, 70% Cheshire + G Manchester, 60% East Lancs, 40% Merseyside + Rest of Lancashire and Cumbria. The affect of the pennines could spoil the party for a number of us in terms of a decent dumping. Anyway these will probably be all wrong by monday so good luck to everyone.

It's 4.8 degs up here atm, positively tropical.

i don't think that the chances of snow are the issue.

with this set up snow can easily fall to sea level and because we are looking at troughs rather than showery activity almost everywhere should see something during the coming days

however i do feel that because of the direction of the approaching system it is going to be more prominent towards the east of the region.

i think you are correct with your assumptions regarding precentages although mainly because i live there, i feel that E.Lancs will do as well as anywhere in the northwest from this set up with the more exposed parts getting a pasting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Issued 10 mins ago on meto site folks. I'll take 60% this side of the Pennines, though the meto do often cover their backs and err on the side of caution, so we'll see...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/...t_warnings.html

i don't think that the chances of snow are the issue.

with this set up snow can easily fall to sea level and because we are looking at troughs rather than showery activity almost everywhere should see something during the coming days

however i do feel that because of the direction of the approaching system it is going to be more prominent towards the east of the region.

i think you are correct with your assumptions regarding precentages although mainly because i live there, i feel that E.Lancs will do as well as anywhere in the northwest from this set up with the more exposed parts getting a pasting.

In Rossendale, I think you may have to be digging yourself out.

Posted

Hurrah! Grainy flakes in liverpool, with the odd bigger flake mixed in. Quite excited, as we were forecast sunny intervals, and NO SNOW till at least later tonight. Think we're going to the trump the SE! :lol: (ok, I'm a bit too excited)

Posted
I have to say this is turning out much better than expected! The bbc local forecast was going for a dry day with plenty of bright spells.

We are only getting light flurries at the moment but it is so important that they make it over the Pennines. Yorkshire and Lincolnshire ae starting to get heavy snow showers so hopefully some moderate falls for us in the next few hours.

Karyo

As I have said before, in an easterly, forecasts tend to underestimate snowfalls for Greater Manchester.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
its a balmy 5C here at the moment :lol: so any snow will probably melt on impact with the ground if it were to fall.

Your temperature is 2c higher than mine! I would have expected you to be a bit colder with the wind coming from the East (miniman sea effect).

Light snow continuing here and we've passed the snow grain stage - the flakes are nicely fluffy!

Nothing settling at this stage although the flakes take their time to melt when they hit my balcony.

Karyo

Posted
Your temperature is 2c higher than mine! I would have expected you to be a bit colder with the wind coming from the East (miniman sea effect).

Light snow continuing here and we've passed the snow grain stage - the flakes are nicely fluffy!

Nothing settling at this stage although the flakes take their time to melt when they hit my balcony.

Karyo

Its probably just because it's sunny.. I imagine if thick cloud was to come in the temperatures would fall away quite starkly.

Usually the east has higher temperatures than here in the westerly, so I imagine it's the same theory just the opposite way round.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.
Hurrah! Grainy flakes in liverpool, with the odd bigger flake mixed in. Quite excited, as we were forecast sunny intervals, and NO SNOW till at least later tonight. Think we're going to the trump the SE! :lol: (ok, I'm a bit too excited)

Right, I'm going to the window to see if I can spot some grains too! It's colder AND cloudier than I thought it would be at this stage. If the cloud is making it over the Pens already and the meto is expecting a n-w movement tomorrow it's looking good. I might suggest we go and visit my wife's dad who lives in Horwich, near Winter Hill, as it will surely live up to its name! :lol:

Posted

Where abouts in Liverpool are you?