Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Nw England

Spurry

Posted

All the forecasts ive seen don't seem to favour the north west (apart from high ground) as far as sunday/monday is concerned, with anything comeing from the east petering out after the penines. Any snowfall after monday will be light and squally in nature. So yes some areas will 'see' snow but nothing that serious.

At the end of the day this is an easterly event with any sunstantial snowfall affetcing central and eastern england.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Just in the middle of a very heavy shower here, huge flakes at times and starting to settle properly.

Saw that pass to my south, looked a 'better' shower (very dark) and we got a few clumpy flakes from it. Ohhhh, which am I? NW or W Yorks......not even the locals can decide that one!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

It's interesting some of the showers seem to intensify on this side of the Pennines for a short while before petering out again.

post-6315-1233500849_thumb.png

Posted
All the forecasts ive seen don't seem to favour the north west (apart from high ground) as far as sunday/monday is concerned, with anything comeing from the east petering out after the penines. Any snowfall after monday will be light and squally in nature. So yes some areas will 'see' snow but nothing that serious.

At the end of the day this is an easterly event with any sunstantial snowfall affetcing central and eastern england.

It's nowcasting from now on! Already we are getting heavier showers than expected by the forecasts. We should do really well even if the east does better still.

Karyo

Posted

Snow filled skies to my north east, should have some snow falling pretty soon hopefully :)

Eidit Snowing now :)

Edited by SnowKidding

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
Saw that pass to my south, looked a 'better' shower (very dark) and we got a few clumpy flakes from it. Ohhhh, which am I? NW or W Yorks......not even the locals can decide that one!!!

lol, it's the same for Saddleworth, I would say both.

Posted
Still showering round here, not getting much heavier though

just joined you today so feeling a bit lost. very cold and grey here-just started snowing!!! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

A few sleety-snow? flakes blowing around in the wind. Unfortunately it's too windy for anything to be settling, and not sure it would settle but it's all very isolated in nature with mostly blue skies.

Posted

I was having a chat with snowdrifter in which we were discussing 'snow events' in north west England and how (with the exception of high ground) we don't favour to well.

He mentioned the Feb 1996 event - when a band of rain coming from the west clashed with a pool of extremely cold air from the east producing real, proper 'HEAVY' snow. This is the type of system the nw relies on for proper snowfall, they happen occasionally but they are usually preceeded by rain and mild air fairly quickly.

Being an easterly we are not in a favourable location for any deent precipitation over the enxt few days - some areas may recieve a dusting or a cm or two but no more than that. They can produce good amounts of snow here but I just don't believe that this one is potent enough.

Hot*Snow

Posted
Where abouts in Liverpool are you?

Sorry for the late reply Stephen..I'm in Wavertree. We've since had a heavy snow shower, and some smaller soft hail type events. it's clouding over all the time, and it won't be long before a settle occurs, probably by midnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Been in chorley this morning watching my son play Rugby (League), and we had some lt snow and now back in Wigan the odd flurry every now and then but nothing much to speak of...i hope tomorrows snow makes it over the peninnes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Sorry for the late reply Stephen..I'm in Wavertree. We've since had a heavy snow shower, and some smaller soft hail type events. it's clouding over all the time, and it won't be long before a settle occurs, probably by midnight.

Ah yes I used to go through there when I went to uni. I think Wavertree is one of the warmer parts of Liverpool but when it does snow, the first signs of lying snow always occur in Wavertree.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
I was having a chat with snowdrifter in which we were discussing 'snow events' in north west England and how (with the exception of high ground) we don't favour to well.

He mentioned the Feb 1996 event - when a band of rain coming from the west clashed with a pool of extremely cold air from the east producing real, proper 'HEAVY' snow. This is the type of system the nw relies on for proper snowfall, they happen occasionally but they are usually preceeded by rain and mild air fairly quickly.

Being an easterly we are not in a favourable location for any deent precipitation over the enxt few days - some areas may recieve a dusting or a cm or two but no more than that. They can produce good amounts of snow here but I just don't believe that this one is potent enough.

Hot*Snow

hi hot*snow

would agree were not in a good position here for snow, infact we're arguably in the worst place you could be for snow in the uk (some would say we were lucky in having hills nearby that do well for snow!)

I have to say though that feb 91 was very similar to this set up, and in Preston we ended up with 3-4 inches, which is about as good as it gets for these parts :) ( thats after the battle ground set up you mention like 96, think snow drifter did the best out of anyone in that event! i know singleton had just shy of 20cm level!)

Not saying we will get a decent fall but its certainly not out of the question. its wierd how sometimes precipitation intensifies this side of the pennines sometimes! :)

PS snowing here for the last half hour, not settling, but still great to be out walking the dog in it!! :)

Edited by arron123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Yayyy! V light snow here at last - should think so too - nw radar has had me under pink ppn for about 15 mins, though I guess that doesn't always mean it reaches the ground. Hi HotSnow - yes I'm still hoping against probabilities! Countryfile forecast wasn't great for here but lots of nowcasting will need to be done methinks. Better check...yes still light snow. Boy, you're easily pleased when so snow-starved for so long! :D

Posted
Yayyy! V light snow here at last - should think so too - nw radar has had me under pink ppn for about 15 mins, though I guess that doesn't always mean it reaches the ground. Hi HotSnow - yes I'm still hoping against probabilities! Countryfile forecast wasn't great for here but lots of nowcasting will need to be done methinks. Better check...yes still light snow. Boy, you're easily pleased when so snow-starved for so long! :D

In fairness alot of the snow falling around the north west has been a real suprise and a real bonus. If we were going to get any I was expecting it to come more Monday/Tuesday time.

Posted

Hot*Snow

I agree that areas in western Lancashire may not be favoured in an easterly but all my heaviest falls of snow (8inches plus) have come from an easterly, I think areas just west of the pennines and on their western slopes often do well as bands of showers seem to congregate in these areas.

Posted

I would generally agree that the North West (epspecially the western area's) would not favour to well from an Easterly, but the BBC forecast has just shown a general band of snow moving from the South overnight Monday and into Tuesday, and it appeared to affect almost all of England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Could be on and off for quite a while looking at the radar! lets hope it intensifies for a bit so we can get a covering to build on :good:

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/meteoconsult.pr...y/radarMain.jsp