Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Ireland

Posted

We don't seem to have one yet, so bring it on.

Eastern counties should do very well and plenty of other areas besides.

My hope is the low pressure pushing up from the south will get more and more east as time goes on which will reduce the mild sectors and hopefully give us potential snowfall for the whole week.

Would a Mod pin this please.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Well all going well im expecting a fair bit of snow at my location. Just have to play the waiting game now.

Posted

I just hope theres enough snow come Monday morning to prevent my flight out to London. Not due back till Tuesday evening and really don't want to miss snow in my own area! So please, snow heavily on Sunday night and close Dublin airport!!!

Posted

I really hope the showers penetrate far enough to Meath so we can get a covering. Also, I go to college in Dublin and I have never seen snow accumulate in the centre in all my life so it would be quite an event if it did.

Posted
I'm expecting absolutely nothing. Couldn't be any further west!!! :mellow::D:(

You are actually in a ptime position later in the week as the winds turn more northerly and north easterly, you are probably best placed in the whole of the uk and Ireland along with Donegal to keep the colder upper air.

I just hope theres enough snow come Monday morning to prevent my flight out to London. Not due back till Tuesday evening and really don't want to miss snow in my own area! So please, snow heavily on Sunday night and close Dublin airport!!!

Don't think it's the plane leaving will be the issue but the plane landing in London will.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Im optimistic now, because our local forecast, Sky News, BBC aswell are all making us dry sunday, monday with rain/sleet tuesday....only Isolated light snow showers at best according to the TV forecasts and only my County (Down) has a weather advisory by Meto for Tuesday. Things are looking okay via the netweather charts and models but it is concerning when our own and other professional weather experts decide not to see that possibilitys. I for one am thinking a good convective are will setup in the Irish Sea Monday morning, not to mention the more persistant band Tuesday to be Snow albeit quite wet.

*Prays they are wrong*

Give me snow!

Posted
I really hope the showers penetrate far enough to Meath so we can get a covering. Also, I go to college in Dublin and I have never seen snow accumulate in the centre in all my life so it would be quite an event if it did.

Don't worry showers will definetly get to Meath.

Posted

It really is a waiting game now. I'm not building myself up for this as we have been down this road many times before. Albeit this year does and still remains to show differences from previous years patterns.

Lamp post at the ready.

:D

Posted

This is as far as I am prepared to go on this run as I believe the GFS is overdoing the short waves again. Plenty of heavy snow showers into the east coast.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn481.png

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn482.png

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn483.png

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn484.png

Posted

yea looks amazing and then the potential for persistent heavy snow. Might just be sleety though but the potential for a huge fall again Monday night - Tuesday

But Sunday night - Monday at the moment looks more certain and more concrete to fall as snow!

Could be some great accumulations by Monday evening

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I suppose the best point is that the 850hpa temps never dip realy below -3c even with the mild blip. With snowcover, dew points etc we could just about escape having wetter snow/ sleet on Monday night/Tuesday. Again the precipitation charts are a massive upgrade Sunday Night through Monday, very good Irish sea convection possibility.....thus I'd say overall this run isn't as bad as what it could be.

Posted

I really hope your right mountain shadow. Heres hoping. Not really worried anyway as we had a great event last week. Time for other people to do well. Have a look at my photos in the photography section of our last event. No wonder i was pleased with it.

Posted
I really hope your right mountain shadow. Heres hoping. Not really worried anyway as we had a great event last week. Time for other people to do well. Have a look at my photos in the photography section of our last event. No wonder i was pleased with it.

This METchart shows why things are so good for you. Trace the Isobar through Derry all the to the bitter cold to the North East. You will definetly be under much colder air, the rest of us have to hope the trough to the south west is further east.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rukm961.gif

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted
Don't think it's the plane leaving will be the issue but the plane landing in London will.

Yeah was hoping that too. I believe Heathrow is like Dublin in that respect and it shuts down pretty easily with snow and ice. Oh I sure hope so! It will be a painful journey if the plane does take off and land in Heathrow, I then have to face commuting into London city via the Heathrow Express and the tube - lots of potential delays I'm sure.

Posted
This METchart shows why things are so good for you. Trace the Isobar through Derry all the to the bitter cold to the North East. You will definetly be under much colder air, the rest of us have to hope the trough to the south west is further east.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rukm961.gif

Looks good. Am no chart reader but anybody can see that that looks good. Alot of time for change but.

Posted
I've seen snow accumilate in Dublin city centre several times in my lifetime-mostly in the 80's.

I've seen the lake at UCD frozen and snowmen built on it-also in the 80's.

I've also seen snow covering stephens green several times in the 80's so yes it can!

I'd expect you to do quite well this week out in meath also.

Posted

Certainly does Matty.

The east will get it first then shifting to the North, West and South. Strangely Ireland will do better in the longer term than the south east of england as away from the milder sectors.

Have the Irish met any warmings out? do they include the Ulster counties in Norn Iron?

Posted
Certainly does Matty.

The east will get it first then shifting to the North, West and South. Strangely Ireland will do better in the longer term than the south east of england as away from the milder sectors.

Have the Irish met any warmings out? do they include the Ulster counties in Norn Iron?

I went onto the Irish Met site and their current warning is "wintry showers Sunday night-tuesday leading to some accumilations of snow over the eastern part of the counrty"

Posted
I went onto the Irish Met site and their current warning is "wintry showers Sunday night-tuesday leading to some accumilations of snow over the eastern part of the counrty"

I can't find it, do you have the link?

Wintry showers can mean anything, there will be prolonged areas of snow at some point, 1 hr or more for sure.

Posted
I can't find it, do you have the link?

Wintry showers can mean anything, there will be prolonged areas of snow at some point, 1 hr or more for sure.

Im sure it will play out better then what they say and yes im sure there will be prolonged snow. I always just type in Met eireann and it leads me to their site (although their site isnt great imo)