Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Ireland

Posted

has been snowing know for about 1hour if it continues for another 2 hours ill be happy we have about 1 or 2cm lying now.

Posted
Has been snowing since 8.30 this morning. Looks to be clearing a bit now. This band has left another 5cms in my area. Going to the hills now for some sledging. Good luck everybody

5 cms?! WOW! :lol: :o How high above sea level are you?

I might go for a walk in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains later!

Posted

The snow in northern ireland isn't expected to be particularly heavy, but more light and persistant.

Winter wonderland in Carryduff. Given the forecast for the week I expect to have lying snow for over a week, pretty much unheard of in this neck of the woods I would have thought.

It's the ice that's the main problem though.

Posted

mountain shadow how much longer do you think it will snow for in the north west?

Posted
I was also skeptical as I always take it with a pinch of salt when forecasters say they're be snow on the leading edge. It usually rains!

It was a nice suprise. Timed to perfection for these parts. If it happened a few hours earlier we would have slept throught it. A couple of hours later and the ground would have been warmer, so it possibly wouldnt have settled.

Posted

The rain/sleet/snow being predicted for tomorrow will only affect Munster and South Leinster me thinks. I can't see it getting any farther north than a line from Limerick to Dublin. It'll mostly fall as rain or sleet, with snow reserved mainly for higher ground.

Ulster will be the only province where the temperatures remain very low for most of the week, meaning most of the lying snow won't thaw. However, on Thursday, a warm front is expected to cross the country, bringing rain and a rise in temperatures for the whole island.

Posted
mountain shadow how much longer do you think it will snow for in the north west?

Here's your answer in the flash warning from the Met Office..

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/...t_warnings.html

Snow for this afternoon and early evening. Watch for the ice tonight it will be brutal.

Posted

My goodness.. it has been snowing for 2 hours - about 2 inches outside... the most since Xmas day 3 years ago!!! yes enough to make a snow ball... incredible we are only 5 m above sea level here...

Posted
The rain/sleet/snow being predicted for tomorrow will only affect Munster and South Leinster me thinks. I can't see it getting any farther north than a line from Limerick to Dublin. It'll mostly fall as rain or sleet, with snow reserved mainly for higher ground.

Ulster will be the only province where the temperatures remain very low for most of the week, meaning most of the lying snow won't thaw. However, on Thursday, a warm front is expected to cross the country, bringing rain and a rise in temperatures for the whole island.

It will be interesting to see if this 'breakdown' is delayed or not. The snow we are having now was origially forecast this time last week to come though on Thursday night.

Even if it does come through the mazes will only rise to 5/6 from the current 3/4, and there will still be night frosts.

Posted

Well, the GFS which was always the most bullish in bringing in the milder air, has now progged Thursday to be one of the coldest days of the week with a renewed northerly plunge. I wouldnt trust any of the models from Wednesday onwards at this point.

Posted

stopped now after 2 hours only really amounted to about 2cm is there a possibility of more snow?agin today?

Posted
stopped now after 2 hours only really amounted to about 2cm is there a possibility of more snow?agin today?

no, apart from slight risk of a wintery shower.

Light rain in Dublin now and lying snow melting.

Posted
Been falling nicely in Glengormley for maybe 10-15mins or so now. Topping up what we already have but not really settling on cars etc..

Welcome aboard Watsy!

Still got heavy snow here. Everywhere covered again.

Posted

It's been snowing here since 11am - not really lying though - just a few patches in the grass.

Great to see some snow though :)

yeah its great isn it though its a bit thin and a little bit late :wub: its so pera temcky thats its gone this means that the temperatures will rise and met the fineness?? -_-

Edited by dice48