Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: East Mids, Lincs And S & E Yorks Pt 2

pottyprof

Posted

Well, last evening in Lincoln we had several hours of snow - it stopped around 9pm. Then it started a slow thaw but, by the time we got up this morning, this had frozen solid and it was incredibly icy - even the car door was difficult to open.

We have had a steady thaw all day so the roads are better now apart from smaller residential ones. It all looks rather mucky now.sad201.gif

Posted

No thaw at all here. A little snow fell off the trees when the sun was shining on them earlier but now its cold and dull and nothing is moving. Roads still snowy, trees still covered, nothing falling off cars. Its great.

Posted

Interesting night here. Went to bed at midnight and it was still snowing with temp just below zero. At seven this morning temp was back down to minus four and we had a good nine inches of lying snow. Slight thaw today where the sun has got to but temp hasn't managed to get above minus one. Looking at the Netweather radar replay, the snow seems to have died out at about 3 am.

I can see a lot of this snow will be lying around until Sunday, but at least it protects the garden from the frost.

Posted

Most of the snow has gone from here which is rather disappointing.

great scenes yesterday morning though

Edited by TOMB RAIDER LEGEND

Posted
Most of the snow has gone from here which is rather disappointing.

great scenes yesterday morning though

AND THE BUSES STILL RAN?!?!! :ph34r: You mean to say...the people of Lincolnshire carried on as NORMAL?!?!

Shocking scenes there, for sure!

Posted
AND THE BUSES STILL RAN?!?!! B) You mean to say...the people of Lincolnshire carried on as NORMAL?!?!

Shocking scenes there, for sure!

:rolleyes: I didn't get a dumping. The roads weren't too bad from late morning onwards.

i'll post a few more pics later if i get the time.

Posted
Not much of a thaw here that I can see here in Northants. Anyway, the weather warnings have been updated by the Met Office for Thurs/Fri:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...ings.html?day=3

Northamptonshire is just in the orange zone-- "low risk of exceptionally severe event giving accumulations of 10 to 20cm" :D

Happy days if it's still there Thursday :doh:

We always miss the worse of the weather here in northants.(been here 13 years now)

PS.

NN2 also

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well the Snow hasn't shifted much at all today and very little effort by Sheffield Council to clear the remaining roads. I wonder if they're short of stocks and personnel.

The main roads this morning were disgusting certainly nothing had been done in the earlier hours and the plan seemed to be wait for it too melt.

Heaviest Snow since 96/97 however the effects much greater.

I suspect most schools will be closed again tomorrow as well.

Posted

Road were bad here to! now there starting to freeze over. School should be open i think tomorrow even though they do have to come from Chesterfield, Sheffield and Nottingham ect..

May get a little more snow between Thursday and Saturday however the main focus seems to be further south at the moment

Posted

Barely a dusting here throughout. Wind of the north sea kept temps between 1-3C, straight easterly not much use here unless it's real deep cold. The warm sector seem to come further west in the end, just light stuff here yesterday, the heavier stuff went further west than was anticipated. Amazingly still 1.9C here tonight.

Posted
A few more from yesterday morning :doh:

Yes that shower in the early hours just missed me to the north!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Road were bad here to! now there starting to freeze over. School should be open i think tomorrow even though they do have to come from Chesterfield, Sheffield and Nottingham ect..

May get a little more snow between Thursday and Saturday however the main focus seems to be further south at the moment

Well the good news is that the clouds are keeping the temps up. However the temps here didn't fall until after six then they nosed dived. Soon as the cloud goes that should be it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder storms and hot summer days with a cool breeze
Well the good news is that the clouds are keeping the temps up. However the temps here didn't fall until after six then they nosed dived. Soon as the cloud goes that should be it.

Just had a reasonably heavy snow shower in Sth Leicstershire. Only netweather predicted it!

Posted
Just had a reasonably heavy snow shower in Sth Leicstershire. Only netweather predicted it!

We had a moderate snow shower about 5:30 pm just down the road from you in Northampton.

Posted

Cloud now clearing here and temp is dropping fast

I'm watching Thursday into Friday for some possible snow. Although i expect further south will do a lot better we may get a little something from it depending on how far north it wants to come. Does look a little marginal though.

post-6181-1233690281_thumb.png

post-6181-1233690306_thumb.png

post-6181-1233690453_thumb.png

Posted
Except for heavy rain, in which case we are normally among the worst hit :D

Now thats true...I still remember the easter floods. i was working on a construction site in far cotton :(

Posted
Well the Snow hasn't shifted much at all today and very little effort by Sheffield Council to clear the remaining roads. I wonder if they're short of stocks and personnel.

The main roads this morning were disgusting certainly nothing had been done in the earlier hours and the plan seemed to be wait for it too melt.

Heaviest Snow since 96/97 however the effects much greater.

I suspect most schools will be closed again tomorrow as well.

Hope the schools are closed PIT ! Would you know if Granville Road is still bad as it was apparently very treacherous earlier with cars just sliding down it.

The maximium temperature today was 0.4 and it is now down to -0.8 oC, so only a very slight thaw.

Personally, I think the attempts of the city council was poor, very little effort made at all and I think they just left it too late. They gritted Sunday night/Monday morning but not afterwards and I think were caught out by the heavy snow through the morning which inevitably settled and left some of the quite major city roads (City, Prince of Wales) in a treacherous state.

Edited by Andy_Calafell_Sheffield