Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Cold Weather Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
I never used to rate him but he stuck to his guns right the way through in respect of the snow from London westwards not being effected by the warm sector yesterday, and was right. Seems he's not budging again.

Tonights fax chart for Midday Sat certainly shows the cold front having moved well into the continent so things could be on track for the colder air to dig South more quickly.

he's been about along time, he was on bbc breakfast when i was a kid, anyone staying up for 0z?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
Excellent point, perfectly illustrated. I am so glad you made that point - I have been thinking it all along but had been slightly afraid to say it myself. I was watching an interview with a woman on bbc news and she said (rather confusingly):

"I am from Denmark - this is not snow!"

How very true that lady was, but having said that, if London bought 50 snowplows just in case it snowed more than an inch again, by the time they ever got used they would probably be all rusted up, 18 more years, mmm, 2027! :o

I cant help but think that the Midlands and Northern England will do realy well out of this, lots of rain in the South East after bits of Wintryness early Thursday morning, but this turning back to snow by late Friday but by then there might not be much ppn left on the front.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
Just goes to show how tough it is to get snow in the UK these days, charts chop and change all the time right up to the line, so annoying!

Years ago, without all these super computers, I remember if they said snow for some place or other on the Coutryfile forecast for Thurs/Fri of that week it would usually happen, not any more. Its always bitty cold that makes it to our shores, puff, one extra gust of wind in Norway or Italy annd its missed us by 200 miles. :o

And as for the few inches we got yesterday, its a joke, 70 percent of the country only got a duting that melted by this morning.............all the fuss it because LONDON and the home counties got some snow, OMG it snowed in London, big deal!

Never know though, London could see more snow, then all we will hear on the news for the rest of the month will be Weather related. :o

i agree that london comes to a standstill far too easily, but you have to realise that lowland southern england very rarely gets snow to these depths. 8-14 inches is a huge amount of snow for london and the south. the fact that 6 inches settled in central london shows what a big event it was. the last time was 1991. a once in 20 year snow event justifies a decent amount of tv coverage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

i agree that london comes to a standstill far too easily, but you have to realise that lowland southern england very rarely gets snow to these depths. 8-14 inches is a huge amount of snow for london and the south. the fact that 6 inches settled in central london shows what a big event it was. the last time was 1991. a once in 20 year snow event justifies a decent amount of tv coverage.

[/quote

Its been non stop though on the TV, bit much I think, and in fact I have not seen these fabled 14 inches on any of the videos, yer I got 6/7 inches, gather one or 2 spots peaked at a foot or so down Surrey way, but these were the exceptions not the average...they were showing Devon tonight but it only looked like a couple of inches.

Also I have to say that this was nowhere near a 1991 let alone 1987 for snowfall or cold, and temps in the SE are strugling to even get bellow zero in many places tonight! :doh:

Clear skys, lots of snow, coldish uppers, should be -5/6 by now.

How anyone in the SE ever survived 1947 or 1963 I have no idea! ? :rolleyes:

And all the other cold winters back theen that we dont talk about so much.

Edited by snowray

Posted

I must admit after realising the reality that my area was going to fair well early yesterday I went out. By all accounts some areas in the south east and higher ground did recieve constant snowfall for a long time that brought significant accumulations - but it was all over-egged by the media as usual.

The Devon snowfall coverage was hilarious - the reporter was walking through a car park taking about how everything had shut due to 'severe weather' etc - the covering was about 1/2cm max. The mis-reported 'tornado' that was actually a waterspout made me laugh personally.

Two questions:

(1)What do the Canadians, Scandanavians etc think of our inability to cope with a bit of snow?

(2) What do people from Oklahoma think of our definition of a tornado?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Well, while thursday and friday certainly look interesting, in that the snow level will be somewhere between 0 and 200 metres for the Midlands north, for me it looks like a snow, to rain to snow event, however i am far more interested in the undiscussed sunday snow event, which looks like giving prolonged and widespread snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
I must admit after realising the reality that my area was going to fair well early yesterday I went out. By all accounts some areas in the south east and higher ground did recieve constant snowfall for a long time that brought significant accumulations - but it was all over-egged by the media as usual.

The Devon snowfall coverage was hilarious - the reporter was walking through a car park taking about how everything had shut due to 'severe weather' etc - the covering was about 1/2cm max. The mis-reported 'tornado' that was actually a waterspout made me laugh personally.

Two questions:

(1)What do the Canadians, Scandanavians etc think of our inability to cope with a bit of snow?

(2) What do people from Oklahoma think of our definition of a tornado?

the funniest thing was a reporter somewhere in the southwest on the bbc saying that the west country is used to severe weather as it gets heavy snowfall every winter. the south-west is probably the mildest part of the country during winter! such a load of bolloks

Edited by danm

Posted
Well, while thursday and friday certainly look interesting, in that the snow level will be somewhere between 0 and 200 metres for the Midlands north, for me it looks like a snow, to rain to snow event, however i am far more interested in the undiscussed sunday snow event, which looks like giving prolonged and widespread snow.

Hey, what is the 'Sunday event?'

Cold you explain further?

Cheers.

Posted
Hey, what is the 'Sunday event?'

Cold you explain further?

Cheers.

ukprec.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Need i say more..

Night all.

Posted

Nice chart - but I would be very suprised if that pulled off, especially this far out. I would expect a downgrade.