Cold?
IGNORED

Michael Fish ... Snow Events Less Likely

Neilsouth

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

According to michael fish these snow events will be less likley because of Global Warming :D , another forecaster jumping on the global warming bandwagon. Even in the 90's we didn't have these events EVERY year , even the 80's they didn't have hard snow events every year :)

Edited by neilsouth

Posted
According to michael fish these snow events will be less likley because of Global Warming :D , another forecaster jumping on the global warming bandwagon. Even in the 90's we didn't have these events EVERY year , even the 80's they didn't have hard snow events every year :)

He's right...

Posted

He's right? , what does he have a crystal ball?. You have got to be joking , i'll say it again these types of events DID NOT happen EVERY year going way back so how can it be less likely?.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
According to michael fish these snow events will be less likley because of Global Warming :( , another forecaster jumping on the global warming bandwagon. Even in the 90's we didn't have these events EVERY year , even the 80's they didn't have hard snow events every year :(

Hi, well Micheal is a believer in global warming, I dont have none of it myself and I think if the right weather synoptics develop like they have there will always be snow and ice..... :)

Posted
Global warming IS happening, our winters ARE changing. :(

Changing? in what way.... Just last year people said because of global warming we will be unlikely to see heavy snow in london its just too warm. Even Ian Brown was throwing his Blowtorch theory about!

Summers will become hotter and drier , really so thats why for the last two years the summers have been crap.

See what i mean?

Posted
Hi, well Micheal is a believer in global warming, I dont have none of it myself and I think if the right weather synoptics develop like they have there will always be snow and ice..... :(

Well that's further proof AGW is a myth, after all this is the same man who on national television told us all, not to worry that hurricane isn't coming our way!

Posted

One thing i do believe in is " Increased Local Warming " , just a walk through the fields and there is masses of snow but as soon as you get closer to the village at the same sea level much of it has melted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

I was under the impression that if global temps increase then the UK will become colder, The atlantic conveyor will be weaker and warmer water wont make it as far.

From what i understand we would become more like canada weatherwise.

Posted
He's right? , what does he have a crystal ball?. You have got to be joking , i'll say it again these types of events DID NOT happen EVERY year going way back so how can it be less likely?.

I am not so sure about Global Warming but my records do record an event like this pretty much every winter apart from a small number in fact two in the 80's did not have significant snowfall for me. Today then it follows that they are less likely than they were just looking at records.

Posted
I was under the impression that if global temps increase then the UK will become colder, The atlantic conveyor will be weaker and warmer water wont make it as far.

From what i understand we would become more like canada weatherwise.

Good haha :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.
Good haha :(

Lol, isnt meant to be a joke.

From what i understand.

Warmer weather would melt the north cap, meaning more fresh water in the ocean, This would block the gulf stream and pull it further south before it goes on its journey back.

The further south this is means the colder the water is infront of it ( its not being warmed from the south )

This colder water in turn stops atlantic storms as its not so warm. This would then cool the UK giving us a local ice age.

But then again, This is only one of many many many ideas scientists have given out.

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

Is Met Office policy to plug GW...why else would their website be called 'Weather and Climate Change'? :( incidentally I do feel that is far too much of an agenda riven title for a publicly funded website

He could be right, he could be wrong...but if we see more of these in the coming years it may pose a few interesting questions...in any case these kind of events werent common even in the days before GW was invented :)

Edited by rich1

Posted

It made me laugh when someone on the TV described this today as a "one in 20 year event" when there is something similar showing as soon as Thursday/Friday.

This winter is shaping up to be the coldest and snowiest for many years, so global warming not having much impact here. Hopefully this is just the beginning of a harsh run of very cold and snowy weather. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
Is Met Office policy to plug GW...why else would their website be called 'Weather and Climate Change'? :( incidentally I do feel that is far too much of an agenda riven title for a publicly funded website

He could be right, he could be wrong...but if we see more of these in the coming years it may pose a few interesting questions...in any case these kind of events werent common even in the days before GW was invented :(

Met office is funded by the goverment, and so the goverment make so called "green taxes" to supposedly protect the enviroment , and of course nothing to do with lining there pockets with tax payers money!!..... :lol: :doh: :lol: :o hence the met office have an "obligation" to plug global warming! :o

Posted
Met office is funded by the goverment, and so the goverment make so called "green taxes" to supposedly protect the enviroment , and of course nothing to do with lining there pockets with tax payers money!!..... :( :o :doh: :lol: hence the met office have an "obligation" to plug global warming! :lol:

Sounds like a conspiracy theory. Ie. Not true

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Yes it seems the Meto are 'acclimatised' to the AGW theory. :D

In my view we are NOT warming.....that has happened, we have warmed and now we start the long descent/in the long descent. He was right in that if he said this early 90s he would have been spot on, however, what we have seen this year is a HALE winter and clear indication of the controlling effect of the sun. Maybe bckground warming has made this winter not as harsh as it could have been BUT this winter has happened much to the utter surprise of those that support AGW, even those on this site. The sheer southerliness of the jet over last 12 months has completely blown the 'AGW forcing the jet ever further north' apart.

My view is that we will start to see these snow events more and more regular back to times of mid 20th century, over the next 10-15 years.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted

Saw Mr fish . He has put on a few pounds ! . He made me laugh when he said that the snow was wet and heavy unlike 1991. I accept it was not as cold and powdery as then but all the snow I got last night was powder snow at -2.7c with dewpoint near -5c . So I think is was talking rubbish there. As for Global warming easy thing to say I guess.

What this spell is doing is eliminating those comments about 'even larger teapot ' 'snow cant happen on an easterly ' etc

:rolleyes:

Posted

My view is that we are warmer due to man's activities but this will not overide natural cycles and we are infact act the beginning of a colder phase, which may not be as cold as previous cold cycles but will be colder than the last 20 years.

Edited by Bartlett Low

Posted

>>Hale Winter

interesting BFTP.. looks like you called it back in August too

Hale Winter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Well that's further proof AGW is a myth, after all this is the same man who on national television told us all, not to worry that hurricane isn't coming our way!

Yes, well as you work backwards from the premise that AGW is a myth and fit evidence around it, of course you're going to say that.

What Michael Fish said is entirely in line with current predictions from climate models, namely that this part of the world is highly likely to get warmer over the coming decades, and therefore, such snow events will probably continue to become less common.

The current snow event does not disprove AGW (or GW, as some members seem to be making out!), the globe is still warmer than the long-term average, but we happen to have had very favourable synoptics for snow today. Think about it logically: if it snowed widely at temperatures of -3 to -5C in January 1987 and February 1991, a warming of 3C, all other things being equal, would make no difference other than that the snow would be less powdery.

It is entirely feasible that we could go into a period of snowier winters, as part of the "snow drought" in the past couple of decades has been down to unfavourable synoptics, and global temperatures have stalled since 1998- so a change to more favourable winter synoptics would, in the short term, mean more snow. But even that isn't certain to happen- the last two winters were very mild.

It ain't what it were like when I were't lad - A similar situation in the 50's and 60's would've given us a nice powder snow with a max of about -5c.

This time the continent was far too warm for that - By tell 'em that - they won't believe you.

:)