Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&w Yorkshire, Northern & Ne England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
I await being amazed and astonished, but I have to say that I continue to think that this is being overplayed a tad up here. Paul Hudson isn't the most objective forecaster in these circumstances, but I think even he was guilty of potential excess suggesting that we might get another foot tonight. It's been snowing here since around 4pm, but my observation is that the snow is more persistent than intense. At times last night, albeit briefly, the intensity got up to around 30 on my cursory scale: I think I've known it get above that on two or three occasions at most. Right now, and for the past hour, it's been hovering around 4-5, no more than light-moderate. What's there is very dry, so it's getting blown around into some sizeable drifts, and I came within a very few minutes of not being able to get up the hill out of town - as it was the ASC nearly burned the clutch out - or back up the track.

There's going to have to be a pretty big development in the flow for us to get a foot of level snow.

Absolutely, right since early afternoon BBC has been forecasting 'much worse to come overnight for Pennine areas, with up to 50 cms of extra snow' and yet since about 4.00 pm a cursory glance at even the relatively inadequate Meto radar would have shown any forecaster that, barring some totally unexpected intensification, the most additional snow likely was a couple of inches. I agree Paul H. does tend to get carried away when there's snow around, but surely from his own credibility's sake he'd have checked the radar before his early evening forecast (or was it ramp !!!) ?

Also, temperature still on the up, now up to -1.2C, so even up here it's not going to take much more warming before what's falling is sleet anyway ! (which has also looked possible since mid-afternoon). Not the best bit of BBC weather forecasting today I would suggest.

Posted

Is it raining at your gaff?

1.7º, windy and drizzle here. I'm heartbroken.

As I said on the last thread, this situation is going to take some salvaging.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

The only hope now is for the area of strengthening precip over Lincolnshire. There's some pretty heavy stuff there and if it hits could deposit 10cm although if you miss it, it doesn't look like anything else is around other than this light snizzle. Fortunately it's currently right on target to hit here, although it could change. It's certainly nothing like the forecast yet IMO and as SF says we need a major development for things to get close to a foot!

Having said that, that area is widening all the time over Lincs. The target at the moment seems to be from Wharfedale, across the Vale of York to the W of the N York Moors.

Edited by Yeti

Posted
The only hope now is for the area of strengthening precip over Lincolnshire. There's some pretty heavy stuff there and if it hits could deposit 10cm although if you miss it, it doesn't look like anything else is around other than this light snizzle. Fortunately it's currently right on target to hit here, although it could change. It's certainly nothing like the forecast yet IMO and as SF says we need a major development for things to get close to a foot!

Ere, I need major developments just to get another cm.

Posted

Very frustrating waiting for the snow to get heavier :lol:

Snowing quite lightly now which is steadily accumulating, even on the roads. If it was to get heavier the real fun would begin as the current snowfall is having no problems settling on the roads..

Posted

Hi Dave, what's been happening? it looks exactly the same, outside here, as it did before

I went for a sleep.

It's snowing fairly heavily now, though :lol:

Posted

Notice this coming in now:

post-5260-1233605056_thumb.png

Very slow moving and the potential for a lot of snow if it hits you, if not, it's just bad luck. Headed directly NW at the moment. :lol:

Posted
Hi Dave, what's been happening? it looks exactly the same, ouside here, as it did before

I went for a sleep.

Whereabouts is Castle Howard in North Yorkshire? Nearest town? I'm just trying to work out how far away you are from me.

Posted
Hi Dave, what's been happening? it looks exactly the same, ouside here, as it did before

I went for a sleep.

Been snowing very heavily here for the last 15 mins, much finer grauples etc before that but now settling on any melted surfaces

Posted
Whereabouts is Castle Howard in North Yorkshire? Nearest town? I'm just trying to work out how far away you are from me.

Hi Paul, it's between York and Malton mate

Posted

I went for a sleep.

It's snowing fairly heavily now, though :)

Not much! An initial band of heavy snow dumping 2cm passed away, then after that tiny flakes for hours. The only hope now IMO comes from the above band S of the Humber.

Congrats on the 11,000 posts by the way!

Edited by Yeti

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Paul Hudson is on News 24 now.

Dunno if it's live or not but he makes a point of how rare the extreme weather warning for West Yorkshire is. He also mentioned my favourite weather event of January 1995.

Edited by Stelmer

Posted
Very frustrating waiting for the snow to get heavier :)

Snowing quite lightly now which is steadily accumulating, even on the roads. If it was to get heavier the real fun would begin as the current snowfall is having no problems settling on the roads..

tell me about it. Its soo light its almost like graupel. IF been proper snowflakes over the last few hours, we would be buried by now

Posted
Been snowing very heavily here for the last 15 mins, much finer grauples etc before that but now settling on any melted surfaces

Is there much there still? Although its lightly snowing here there seems to be a bit of a thaw

Posted

The thing is in such a strong wind 20/30cm fall is very hard to measure.

Blizzard conditions at times, blowing snow

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
Not much! An initial band of heavy snow dumping 2cm passed away, then after that tiny flakes for hours. The only hope now IMO comes from the above band S of the Humber.

Don't bank on it. It's raining here. Don't know how far inland this warmer air will get as I wasn't expecting it here yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.

Temperature dropped a bit since earlier to 0.5C dewpoint -0.2C and still snowing steadily but not heavily.

John

Posted

I suppose we shouldn't complain. I can't help but feel a little disappointed though, particulary

after reading the earlier weather warnings etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I've been raving about this being Exeter's biggest snow event for many years, but in Cleadon it was far from exceptional, according to reports from the area. With a freeze-thaw process during the sun and the showers, and accumulations never exceeding 2 inches, it was rather similar to the events of 26-27 January 1996 and 30-31 December 1996, but shorter-lived- and certainly nowhere near as good as the easterly spells of winter 1993/94, let alone February 1991.

Still, north-east England should be favoured later in the week as the winds swing northerly, with the possibility of frontal snow as the northerly digs in as well as the usual east-coast snow showers to follow behind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

So far here its just not been cold enough. Lowest has been 0c during snowfall this morning. I remember -2 during showers in Feb 1991.

I am expecting more from the NEly later in the week.

Temp has shot up here from 0.8 to 1.6c. I would be very suprised if there is anymore snowfall tonight in this area below 200M. Even if the ppn does intensify the wind is so strong coming of the sea that the effects of upper cooling will be cancelled out. I think this is staying as rain.

Edited by Freezing-Point

Posted
Don't bank on it. It's raining here. Don't know how far inland this warmer air will get as I wasn't expecting it here yet.

It's still easily falling as snow here although you are further E and lower down.

The snow is picking up now, that area over Lincs is very heavy but so small, somewhere is in for a pasting but the question is, where? It's going to be very hit-and-miss at the moment, unless we get widespread intensification very soon.