Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&w Yorkshire, Northern & Ne England

Posted
I want those heavy hail/snow showers back,especially the ones with thunder.

I think realistically we can expect a thaw of about 80% of lowland snow cover until Thursday; when the NNE winds bring snow showers back in. Until then; expect little activity this far north.

Posted

2.0º now and the slow thaw in place with rain.

Is there any chance of the temperature dropping and us lowlanders getting some more snow?

PP?

Posted
I don't believe this - The rain is turning back to proper snow.

Talk about an emotional rollercoaster :wallbash:

Gives me something to hang on to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Its now 2c here. And the warmer air is still to arrive. I think I will knock the heating off tonight!

The drizzle is now blowing and swirling around, I think it may be getting slighly heavier now. Everything is now soaking wet and pools are stating to form on the ground. If this continues I am going to go out for a walk with my new wellies and mac on. :doh:

As you can see I am not bitter at all about the poor forcasting of this NON-EVENT in the North East. :wallbash:

Posted
2.0º now and the slow thaw in place with rain.

Is there any chance of the temperature dropping and us lowlanders getting some more snow?

PP?

Not until the morning, I'm afraid. And as I said before; this band has been less potent than forecasted by the GFS models.

By the morning...I expect little precipitation about in this region; save the odd light shower. Some patchy bits of precipitation probably left in Northumberland by about 5am onwards perhaps.

Its a shame...because conditions become conducive again tommorow for our region for snow...but the instability has moved its focus away to the south-west.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Meanwhile in somerset.....

I don't mean to rub it in but I have never seen such perfect snow since I was a munchkin about 30 years ago.

Perfectly soft with a crunchy edge to it, not slippy. Just pure play in the snow, snow. I have just been out in my PJs and wellies. :D

:wallbash::doh:

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
Still coming down fairly heavily now, not quite as dry as last night but temp has dropped from earlier and everything still settling well

Yes things are looking up, despite never being that heavy it has accumulated quite a bit, I think we must be round about 13-15cm now but I'll have to measure to make sure. Coming down more heavily and the radar is looking a bit better.

PS G-W - I'd say that plume won't make it up here unfortunately. Worth keeping an eye on though.

Posted

Talk about an emotional rollercoaster :wallbash:

Heavier wedge of precip moving north to your area according to radar; could be pulling down a more conducive isotherm for your altitude for a time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Just noticed it's still snowing!!! Fine steady stuff. There's around 2cm on my company car.

I've updated my webcam. You can compare the pictures by what was uploaded last.

Posted

the snow was so good this morning/afternoon, even witnessed some thunder snow at about half 9!

i was in english and there was a flash of lightening during a heavy snow shower then some thunder to follow! :D

school sent us home at about 14:15 lol, then the stupid snow turned to rain at about 5:00 :( proper disapointed to be honest

hopefully the ne'easterly during this week will be better :)

Posted

It's not a non-event for Yorkshire, nothing like as forecast but it's not too bad here. Looks horrific in the NE though, I would be gutted now if I was there.

Posted

Talk about an emotional rollercoaster :D

Justs show how marginal this is even in your location and height, of corse this means i got pretty much no hope of the rain turning to snow here, the thaw is rather slow here it has to be said and me garden is still pretty much covered in snow atm.

Looks like PPN amounts wise, the GFS/UKMO has probably called this one wrong, it looks too me the front was less active than first thought and it moved up north quicker than predicted, just goes too show how mother nature will always have the final say on weather events.

It could still pep up mind u but i'm not expcting post card scenes here by the morning.

I heard my old school also got closed during the day today, just goes too show how soft health and safety is today, i never once been sent home from school because of snow and we have seen much worse snow events than this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
The moisture influx on the eastern flank of the shortwave is slowly being reduced as the system is set to gradually contract with a separate independent gyre forming over western France and developing NE; and the UK system centred with a more closed-circulation over SW UK (at T12). This will push the peripheral precip band NE across Europe and away from the UK along with the plume of WAA.

I can see from this that the low will 'split'

http://meteocentre.com/analyse/map.php?dat...&map=Europe

But i can see from this

http://www.meteox.com/gmap.aspx?soort=loop...on=-1.845703125

That a fair whack of the pnn is within the 'zone' that will form 'our low'. I'd agree that once the isobars close it's a done deal but it looks ,to me, like there is more pnn feeding into the circulation.

EDIT: Still horizontal snow here! :D

EDIT ,EDIT: If we see the top of the 'plume' turn left between Belg and Holland border then we'll know we've caught it in 'our low'....over the next hour or two....

Edited by Gray-Wolf

It's not a non-event for Yorkshire, nothing like as forecast but it's not too bad here. Looks horrific in the NE though, I would be gutted now if I was there.

Parts of Durham are doing ok atm......I've got the heaviest snow of the evening here

Posted

Yes the temperature is going up, up, up and I'm sat here crying my eyes out. Just unbelievable.

Posted
I'm not kidding guys. I'm on the receiving end of some serious snowfall just now.

I'ts laying nicely too

Make sure you point it to South Durham.