Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch Thread For Midlands & C Southern England

Posted

Please Continue Here

Could be a busy afternoon if the Showers keep going.

Good Luck you guys deserve this

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Will add my last post to here!

On my drive back from work at lunchtime today, I can report I passed 6 gritters which is quite bizarre given the snow has thawed more or less in warks.

I guess it is in anticipation of ice tonight or is there something else on the way?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

BBC news 24 showed the possibility of alot of snow on thursday for the Midlands!

Posted

Just had a 5 minute light snow shower here in Telford, still some flakes blowing in the very gusty winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Hello All

Very Heavy snow here in Andover North Hampshire

Ironically the heaviest I've seen it yet in this snowy period.

Showers appear to be hoovering up over the channel and tracking NNE inland.

The radar shows the showers spinning off the southern side of the low so depending which way the low heads will have quite an outcome on wind direction of showers.

There was a slights thaw earlier so temp rise may be conributing to localised convection.

Blimy what a turn up and pretty difficult to guess as the weather at present seems to be one step ahead of met office where I am consequently they keep issuing updates.

Happy days

Flyer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
BBC news 24 showed the possibility of alot of snow on thursday for the Midlands!

Have you seen the charts for thursday night/friday morning on the latest GFS 06z run?.......... :( ...That would be a dumping and a half!

Posted

Nothing but Lovely sunny skies in south west midlands. Still bitter and actually quite nice. I will take this today :(

Would be nice to see some snow later in the week though, feeling a little left out at the moment

Posted
Nothing but Lovely sunny skies in south west midlands. Still bitter and actually quite nice. I will take this today :lol:

Would be nice to see some snow later in the week though, feeling a little left out at the moment

I've a feeling our turn is (finally) coming :lol:

'Fraid the heavy snow yesterday got cancelled 'cos I was away. But now I'm back home the snow gods have permission to make up for lost time on Thurs/Fri :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Well as I finished that last post the snow stopped completely so lasted half an hour very well defined shower group.

The next hit has just arrived at 13:25 pretty wet with visability down to 300 metres at times temp is 2.5C

Posted
Nothing but Lovely sunny skies in south west midlands. Still bitter and actually quite nice. I will take this today :lol:

If it goes well, we may get a snow day on Friday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Thought I'd pop a link in here for 'The Eye In The Skies' informative post in the model thread regarding the potential snow event for thursday/friday.....Fascinating reading, easy to understand, and if it comes off, then by jiminy! We're in for an absolute pasting :lol:

Model Thread Linky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
Will add my last post to here!

On my drive back from work at lunchtime today, I can report I passed 6 gritters which is quite bizarre given the snow has thawed more or less in warks.

I guess it is in anticipation of ice tonight or is there something else on the way?

Hi Serendipity,

Yes the main roads are good here now in the North Of the County.

Still a good 5cms lying off road here though,see these

The first 4 are around Hartshill Hayes Country Park-a mile from my house and the last one is the field behind our house.

All taken at around 12.30-1pm today.Excuse qualitity -taken on my mobile.

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted
Thought I'd pop a link in here for 'The Eye In The Skies' informative post in the model thread regarding the potential snow event for thursday/friday.....Fascinating reading, easy to understand, and if it comes off, then by jiminy! We're in for an absolute pasting :huh:

Model Thread Linky

aj do you think this will pull off all do you think it will change as it is only 36hrs away now

cher

x

Posted
aj do you think this will pull off all do you think it will change as it is only 36hrs away now

cher

x

A very good question?.....I'll now in all probabilty give a very poor answer...lol

I dont know...lol

Presently its looking promising....The scenario is an occluded front pushing down from the north, and a low pressure system with associated front pushing in from the southwest......As TEITS posted, we have a battle ground scenario taking shape...Upper air temps (850's) and dewpoints look favourable for our area, however it all depends on the track of the LP....More to the south, and it will affect more southern counties with rain/sleet on the coast and snow in the home counties, however, push that track to the north and we're in the firing line, particulaly to the east of Brum....The next set of models (12z) are due out soon, so we'll be 6 hours further into the event forecasting....The nearer we get to thurs/fri, the more certainty.......The key things to look at on the charts are 1) where is the precip...2) Upper air temperatures (-5C or lower is favourable)......3) Dewpoints (need to be 0C or below).....and atmophereic thickness (between the 500hpa and 1000hpa levels (the figure to look at is 528dam or less).....Most of these data charts are available in the NW data centre, also its worth checking out the 'model output' thread from time to time...It can be quite confusing sometimes reading the posts as they can be very technical, but members like TEITS, Steve Murr,and Roger Smith give very good summaries which are fairly easy to follow for the more less experienced members like myself!

Hope this helps...

AJ

Posted
A very good question?.....I'll now in all probabilty give a very poor answer...lol

I dont know...lol

Presently its looking promising....The scenario is an occluded front pushing down from the north, and a low pressure system with associated front pushing in from the southwest......As TEITS posted, we have a battle ground scenario taking shape...Upper air temps (850's) and dewpoints look favourable for our area, however it all depends on the track of the LP....More to the south, and it will affect more southern counties with rain/sleet on the coast and snow in the home counties, however, push that track to the north and we're in the firing line, particulaly to the east of Brum....The next set of models (12z) are due out soon, so we'll be 6 hours further into the event forecasting....The nearer we get to thurs/fri, the more certainty.......The key things to look at on the charts are 1) where is the precip...2) Upper air temperatures (-5C or lower is favourable)......3) Dewpoints (need to be 0C or below).....and atmophereic thickness (between the 500hpa and 1000hpa levels (the figure to look at is 528dam or less).....Most of these data charts are available in the NW data centre, also its worth checking out the 'model output' thread from time to time...It can be quite confusing sometimes reading the posts as they can be very technical, but members like TEITS, Steve Murr,and Roger Smith give very good summaries which are fairly easy to follow for the more less experienced members like myself!

Hope this helps...

AJ

Thats a very good post and wasnt poor by no means and thank you for spending that amount of time on writing this out for me to understand

cher

x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!
Here is the snowman I made today :doh: Took me and mum about an hour and a half to make it!

Awesome mate! Great stuff! Might be able to make a bigger one after Thursday! Let's hope so!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
wow thats a great snowman well done to you and your mum

cher

x

Thank you Cher :shok: you and your hubby should make one haha :help:

Posted

Quite a rapid thaw now in my neck of the woods...Currently 2.5C......I wasnt expecting such a thaw......anyhoos, who cares!....*Ramp alert*...Roll on Thursday!!

Posted

Ah well. a shower has reached me and it's of HEAVY rain unfortunatly, really will thaw out the rest of the snow :help: , but hey, im optimistic of Thursday and Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yeah, huge thaw here and more than i expected but all eyes on the end of the week as it looks like we will be one of the worst affected!

Posted

Hmmm, do the BBC purposely put higher temperatures just to be on the safe side? rather annoying that, apparantly im going to get a high of 4c and lo -2c on Thursday and high of 5c and lo of -3c on Friday? Hopefully wrong

Yet London is colder

Edited by JamieUK