Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch Thread For Midlands & C Southern England

Posted

That flurry passed through my neck of the woods Blizzards - lasted about 30 minutes and gave a nice surprise dusting! :D I just got home from work at the time and my car temp said 0.5C. All the roads round here are now nicely dusted after being dried by the sun today (what little we had yesterday was mainly killed by sleet last night, boo!).

Just got the radar up and running to see what else might come our way...

Looking ahead to Thursday, that would be amazing for us Midlanders if it came off!

Posted

Those heavy showers in the SW on the radar must be those 2 troughs showing now, and they are heading north overnight but light snow by what GFS shows but it`s better than nothing an extra dusting,won`t be very noticeable here but any fresh snowtop is very welcome. :lol:

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_12_UTC/18_30.gif

Odd flurry here now.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
That flurry passed through my neck of the woods Blizzards - lasted about 30 minutes and gave a nice surprise dusting! :lol: I just got home from work at the time and my car temp said 0.5C. All the roads round here are now nicely dusted after being dried by the sun today (what little we had yesterday was mainly killed by sleet last night, boo!).

Just got the radar up and running to see what else might come our way...

Looking ahead to Thursday, that would be amazing for us Midlanders if it came off!

Indeed, our area looks particularly bad after tomorrow. :D

Its great to see another big snow event likely just after tomorrow!

Posted

We've had it all here today in East Dorset. Heavy snow showeres all day with sun in between and the odd heavy hail shower. One snow shower has a flash of lightning and clap of thunder all in one!. It's still snowing as i type giving a covering. We've been in the fireing line allday with the showers. Snow 3 night in a row :lol: for once!

Any more snow heading for Dorset Thurs/Fri?

Posted
We've had it all here today in East Dorset. Heavy snow showeres all day with sun in between and the odd heavy hail shower. One snow shower has a flash of lightning and clap of thunder all in one!. It's still snowing as i type giving a covering. We've been in the fireing line allday with the showers. Snow 3 night in a row :D for once!

Any more snow heading for Dorset Thurs/Fri?

am i right in thinking shefali oza has predicted up to 30cm over the hills? could this be the real deal, perhaps making londons event look like a dusting? :lol: its marginal, but it could happen folks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
am i right in thinking shefali oza has predicted up to 30cm over the hills? could this be the real deal, perhaps making londons event look like a dusting? :lol: its marginal, but it could happen folks.

I must admit, I'm really not sure what to think....I've been looking at the models and studying the output thread all evening (the other half thinks I'm a sad git...lol)......some of the charts are rather contridictory....It looks a very complicated set-up, an occluded front moving down from the north, with fronts from an associated LP spinning up from the south west and then retreating back south eastwards, with milder air mixed in to the south east just to complicate things even further......The latest models are out shortly, but my brain is numb....Think I'll go back to the tried and tested formula on thursday night, ie looking out of the window! :rolleyes:

Posted
am i right in thinking shefali oza has predicted up to 30cm over the hills? could this be the real deal, perhaps making londons event look like a dusting? :rolleyes: its marginal, but it could happen folks.

Possibly, the metoffice issued a weather warning late this morning for a exceptionally servere weather event and a general weather warning for heavy and drifting snow for Dorset, Devon and other surrounding areas for both Thursday and Friday.

Would be pretty good if this happened but i wont get my hopes up until i see it! im happy with what we've had so far!.

Fingers crossed though.

Posted
I must admit, I'm really not sure what to think....I've been looking at the models and studying the output thread all evening (the other half thinks I'm a sad git...lol)......some of the charts are rather contridictory....It looks a very complicated set-up, an occluded front moving down from the north, with fronts from an associated LP spinning up from the south west and then retreating back south eastwards, with milder air mixed in to the south east just to complicate things even further......The latest models are out shortly, but my brain is numb....Think I'll go back to the tried and tested formula on thursday night, ie looking out of the window! :lol:

Whats your gut feeling then ? If I'm right in thinking that here in Herefordshire we should be right in the fireing line :rolleyes:

Posted

Tbh i wish that line of PPN down south would bugger off because it is total cloud cover now. I think if it was clear skies it would be at least -3C but instead its +0.3C. At this rate the snow will start to thaw when it should be staying overnight!

Edited by Albion Snowman

Posted

Very heavy snow here now in east dorset. A couple of CM has settled in the last couple of minutes!! Complete white out again! Thight in a row this has happened here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

bbc weather website has wed night-fridays snow much further north, but im not so sure, i have this awful feeling areas only south of b'ham will get it with rain on the south coast

models tend to move this type thing further south eg the failed shortwave on 3rd december which even missed SW england

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNNY

Iam in north west Oxfordshire and it is snowing heavy at the mo,

Near the top of that band on the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather

Had snow on and off all day here in Middle Wallop, Hampshire, been great, just had a couple of hours of further snow adding about an inch but recently turned to sleet. Looking at radar more to come for our area in the next few hours.

Posted
one minute the weather saying its gonna chuck it down but thenit saying that its gonna be a dusting for us midlanders!

it never said a dusting. still looking very good. weatherview was v. good, if you missed it, look again at 9.55!

Posted

Hants Wilts border taking a hit tonight, A303 west and east bound now closed due to snow and ice

http://www.wiltshire.police.uk/index.php?o...6&Itemid=60

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The Latest BBC Maps look good for Thursday Night and Friday for us! :o

Posted
The Latest BBC Maps look good for Thursday Night and Friday for us! :o

yep, i think some snow moving up in the morning, showers then a longer spell of snow was the picture.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!
Hants Wilts border taking a hit tonight, A303 west and east bound now closed due to snow and ice

http://www.wiltshire.police.uk/index.php?o...6&Itemid=60

Very useful link, wallop, thanks. A36 is my regular route. Sounds horrendous over there! :o

Kate

Posted

Evening all

After checking the Metox radar , guessed it should start snowing here in North Wilts soon....and sure enough it has!...the heavy stuff might being going north just east of me though. Some bright echoes on the met office radar,so some places getting some heavy snow.

Edit stopped already!

Am keeping optimistic re our chances on Thursday/Friday but too early to call exactly where the boundary between snow/rain is going to be. Just remember,though, the (very) few memorable dumps of snow in this neck of the woods come from channel lows coming up against cold entrenched air...will the uppers be cold enough though?

Posted

oooo the gfs 18z is a step in the right diection for snow in northern england :D

The precipitation is further north, but unfortunatly so are the mild temps.. makeing it into southern england, then perhaps the midlands.. :o

Posted
Very useful link, wallop, thanks. A36 is my regular route. Sounds horrendous over there! :o

Kate

Reckon you could be working from home tomorrow, see the Alderbury bypass is blocked. Guess Pepperbox Hill has been the challenge for you in the past couple of days. My regular route is via the A303 to Amesbury so looks like a fun run tomorrow if it's been re-opened

Posted

Wow just watched Weatherview on News 24-We are really in for a pasting if it comes off. Much worse than yesterday!

Posted
Wow just watched Weatherview on News 24-We are really in for a pasting if it comes off. Much worse than yesterday!

yes, but id be really begging that the 18z gfs is wrong. otherwise it looks like sleet. all we can hope for is the 18z is too progressive, otherwise come tomorrow morning thursday could well look different.